Musso convertion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Musso convertion

What I meant was, even though I had a 7 month head start on you, you managed to post a picture before I could work it out. I felt it pehaps a bit harsh to comment about the size of it (even if it was a bit small), as it was bigger than anything I had managed to post at the time.

I am sure you did not need the owners manual to open the bonnet, but even if you did, you obviously learn things a lot quicker than I do!
    come to think of it, I needed the instruction mnual to work out how to poen the fuel filler on a toyota hiace I borrowed.
    No offence meant, I will throw a few more and in the future. And I admire your courage to do a new car, I am on my third, a clapped out gemini was first, then a mercedes, now a toyota. Prime the wife though there may be the odd stopage, but think of the environment and savings.

The best places to tap into the coolant is either...
    a T between the engine and heater tap (before it gets to the heater) and another after the heater before it gets to the engine. (parallell to the heater)
    If you dont have a heater tap (and newer cars often dont, they control the air temperature by air bypassing the always hot heater) then put it inline (or series) with the heater.
    cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

thanks for the replies i got a fewe hours tomorrow so ill post pics LARGER this time lol........
      the hose to the radiator seems a good choice as that could be closed but dosent affect tha flow in the system, looking forward to the job, now back to the damn lawn mower. anyone know about timing marks on a 12.5hp briggs and stratton lol

maybe this time i should by a manual lol

Comment

Originally posted by sx200 View Post
        Come on mate, Get serious we don't have time for jokes here

Good luck with your job.

I'd like to see the larg photos of your engine before you know what ...

Cheers

Fitian
        Fitian
        <><

Comment

Originally posted by sx200 View Post
          thanks for the replies i got a fewe hours tomorrow so ill post pics LARGER this time lol........
          the hose to the radiator seems a good choice as that could be closed but dosent affect tha flow in the system, looking forward to the job, now back to the damn lawn mower. anyone know about timing marks on a 12.5hp briggs and stratton lol

Hi There
          Timing marks on the B&S? Cam timing: There are two gears one has two punch marks, on the large geared wheel, and only one punch mark on the small one The small gear is on the crankshaft or may be a part of the shaft in some models
          The single timing mark should be placed in between the two marks
          In so far as ignition timing is concerned;
          Early models had a fixed set of points with a plunger that operated the moving part of the points, the fixed part was incorporated in the condenser which was fixed on the crankcase
          The key on the fly wheel determines the position of it in regards to timing so it is really "fixed"
          In early models this was made of steel later models had a zinc cast one that sheared as a safety measure instead of engine damage when it back fired "search me"
          The only adjustment is the gap of the points which should be set for about 12-15 Thou
          You do that by moving the fixed part of the points, the condenser
          In some of them that was done by just moving it in or out with the piston at TDC both valves closed, in others they had a very small nut with a lock nut under it which you can adjust
          In both cases make sure the piston is at TDC the moving part of the points should be at maximum travel both valves shut
          Later models have an electronic ignition module, again relaying on the flywheel position No adjustment is possible there Just make sure you have a key
          If the key has sheared and the shaft has spun on it it is very difficult to see, since it will be very smooth
          It looks like there is nothing there for a key to fit, so don't fall in the trap in thinking that it just sits there any where or there are marks for it
          Have a very careful look and you will see it
          It is a taper shaft and they do use a woodruff key to locate the flywheel to the shaft
          Hope this helps
          Cheers
          Chris
          Never give up :)

Comment

Does anybody know if this Musso has been converted or not?

I am converting a Musso this week and remebered this thread.

Sad it has died all of the sudden.
            Fitian
            <><

Comment

Hello Fitian,

There is a chap on the Uk forum who has converted one of these.

The motor is a Merc lump with a Bosch in-line pump but i dont know the model number, its a five pot so maybe the OM605

edit:

Nope, looks to be a OM 602 the forerunner to the 605 Mercedes-Benz OM602 engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Mercedes OM602 engine is a 5 cylinder diesel engine of 2497cc. The engine was also increased in capacity to 2874cc (2.9L) and used in the Phase 1 Mercedes Sprinter vans, the Ssangyong Musso and Korando range and even in the 1996-1999 models of the E-class. It was available in either naturally aspirated or turbocharged variants with two valves per cylinder.
              The camshafts and injection pump are driven by duplex chain from the crankshaft. A separate single row chain drives the oil pump. The camshaft operated the valves via hydraulic bucket tappets; valve clearance adjustment is automatic.
              On earlier models of 2497cc Fuel injection is indirect. A Bosch PES in-line injection pump is used, with a mechanical governor and and vacuum-operated stop control. The pump is lubricated by a connection to the engine oil circulation and the fuel lift pump is mounted on the side of the injection pump.
              The later, 2.9L capacity unit uses a Bosch VE style rotary distributor injection pump with electronic control. This larger capacity version uses direct injection.
              Preheating is by glow plugs with automatic control of preheating time.
              spock505
              Last edited by spock505; 3 April 2008, 04:07 AM.
              David

1994 Merc C250D -110k diesel, 18k miles SVO t/ tank
              1998 merc 300TD - 89k diesel, 6k miles svo blend

And remember ~

"if you drive a car fast enough it will last you a lifetime"

Comment

Thanks David,

I just finished the conversion "2 tanks system" of this 4WD 97 Musso/Mercedes Turbo engine today - it ran very nice and has good power. It has done 180.000 K which is pretty low ks for a 10 yrs old diesel.
                Fitian
                Was here
                Last edited by Fitian; 6 April 2008, 10:20 AM.
                Fitian
                <><

Comment

Any pictures?

Comment

Originally posted by Fitian View Post
                    Thanks David,

I just finished the conversion "2 tanks system" of this 4WD 97 Musso/Mercedes Turbo engine today - it ran very nice and has good power. It has done 180.000 K which is pretty low ks for a 1 yrs old diesel.
                    Its a good engine for it Fitian, very smooth from the comments I have seen.

Do you change the glo plugs as part of your conversions? the popular change here is Duraterms by Bosch which give a slightly longer burn cycle together with a few mm of extra reach.
                    David

1994 Merc C250D -110k diesel, 18k miles SVO t/ tank
                    1998 merc 300TD - 89k diesel, 6k miles svo blend

And remember ~

"if you drive a car fast enough it will last you a lifetime"

Comment

Hi David,

This is a two tanks system, I do not think there is a need to change the glow plugs or longer cycle. Elsbett does that in their one tank system because they start on SVO.

Cheers
                      Fitian
                      <><

Comment

Working...
                      X