Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me...Toyota Landcruiser hj60!!!

Hi there folks,

I am looking for some help to convert my 1985 toyota landcruiser HJ60 from deisel to straight veg oil. I am a student in melbourne studying environmental science and want to show people how to use renewable fuel.

I would be very appreciative if anyone could help me out. I am offering the use of my vehicle for free advertising to anyone willing to help me convert my engine for a discounted service (the whole poor student thing means there is no way i can afford to do it myself).

Could you please let me know how much it would cost approximately and/or if you would be interested in helping me out for some free ongoing advertising.

The car has a long range tank and duel batter already fitted.

Cheers,
    Yeti

Re: Help me...Toyota Landcruiser hj60!!!

hi i have ahj60, done 90,000 ks on SVO
    two tank syst. I tempererally mounted my start up tank[10 ltr red plastic jerry can],still there. In the space next to yhe exhaust manifold, with a tin heat sheild inbetween.drillrd a hole in the little breather cap and pushed some fuel hose to the botom[I recon the best place for this would be a jerry on the back door, whear they often put the spare]
    anyway next off to the wrecker and buy a pair of fuel solenoids from a gas dual fuel and a couple of T pieces For my switch i used a three pos. so in centre pos. nothing is on [theft device] i fund a spot to draw power from in the bottom right corner of the fuse box.A spot that looked as though there should be a small caniser there but thers not, put a fuse in the wireing,like the ones when you fit a radio etc.
    next a heat exchange, on this forum look for heat exchange with photos somwhere. month or two back.
    i always add some dino deisel to thin things down a litle at least 20% in summer ,33% in winter
    Good luck

Comment

how much are the solenoids for lpg at wreckers and what do they look like? what are the t pieces made of i have seen plastic ones at super cheap or do you use brass ones sounds like a cheap set up what did it cost you?I have no idea about these solenoids or how to wire them up etc
      cheers and thanks gary
      started on bio now on blends next a svo conversion 1986 toyota 4runner

Comment

hi solenoids cost me about $ 10 aech [i was probably ripped off] brass t pices from speed shop, couple of bucks
        note i removed filters from solenoids as they were so small i thought they would block 1 ,2 ,3 . stay posted ill try and put some photos on here soon.

Comment

lok forward to your pics it would be a big help gary

Comment

Originally posted by dagwill View Post
            hi solenoids cost me about $ 10 aech [i was probably ripped off]
            Did you get them from any particular type of wrecker? I would not have thought just anyone would have these although I have never asked about them either.

If I could get hold of half a dozen for $10 each I'd be real happy to use them in a conversion myself.

Comment

there is no fuel return to main tank on hj60 just a loop around IP so you only need 2 solenoids,mine came from an old dual fuel
              in photo 1 bottom hose from main tank. hose at t piece from other solenoid[start up tank],after t[to right] goes to IP Dash left of steering shows toggle switch for solenoids at bottom and a glow plug override above it,next one is the cradle for start up tank[this would be better on back door] easier filling, no heat,ect
              note last photo be sure to remove filter from bottom bowl at least on SVO,they woul block in a trice

dagwill
              Last edited by dagwill; 6 December 2006, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Nice setup dagwill. what are you using for fuel heating? ($10 is what I have paid for gas solenoids, so it is on the mark)

Yeti, when you say your car has a long range tank, do you mean 2 tanks? if so, you already probably have some fuel selection solenods, but it may be under the car, not in the engine bay.
                cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

thanks heaps for the photos you make it so easy when you can see what it is your talking about now i got to try and find some of those solenoids at wreckers and figure out how to wire them up but should not be to hard looks like only 1 wire going to solenoid? thanks a lot for sending those pics will send some of mine when she is done would be a quick conversion by the look of it to

cheers Gary

Comment

Can we get back on topic again please?

Yeti is looking for someone to convert the vehicle, not for instructions on how to do it him/her self.

Yeti is offering the vehicle as advertising in return for the conversion or at least a significant discount on the conversion.

Yeti does not wish to do the conversion him/her self.

Does anyone know of a person / organisation in Melbourne who would be interested in doing the conversion (with or without the advertising offer)?

Regards,
                    Tony
                    ps Yeti, I have been away for a couple of days and haven't been able to get to post on this topic until now.
                    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Hi Yeti,

What suburb do you live in? I would be happy to assist you (don't need the advertising space). I would suggest (and use on my Nissan Patrol) a two tank system (I initially used a plastic jerry can in the wagon part), a flat bed heat exchanger, and another (electric) heating device such a Vegtherm just before the injection pump.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_ View Post
                        .. on my Nissan Patrol..
                        Dave, What model Patrol?
                        George '89 GQ

Comment

Hi George,

It's a 1996 GQ 4.2 Diesel Patrol.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

with respect tony we are right on topic.
                            in case you didnt read the original post Yeti was asking for HELP. he was NOT looking for a dealer to convert. he may find someone with mechanical knowledge more than willing to help but with no idea how to convert a hj60 .ALL the info posted is directly relavant to converting hj60 and i sincerly hope he or anyone else may get some help. with best wishes to all
                            Chris on one of the threads i posted titled ''heat exchange with photos''is afull explanation of just that
                            dagwill
                            Last edited by dagwill; 7 December 2006, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Dagwill,
                              My apologies, I read Yeti's first post but In previous correspondence with Yeti (where I had suggested posting the question here) it was revealed that Yeti did not want to do the conversion personally. My reply was based more on that discussion than on the first post in this thread.
                              Again, my apologies.
                              Tony From West Oz
                              Vice Chairperson of WARFA
                              Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 8 December 2006, 12:31 AM.
                              Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                              '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                              '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                              '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                              '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                              '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                              '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                              '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                              '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                              '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                              '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                              '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                              '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                              Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Working...
                              X