X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kerosene Supply

Hello Otherside
    Yes, I querried that too at one stage.
    The Handbook for my 2006 Musso also says it has an 80 litre tank.
    However, driving from Sydney to Brisbane I drove till the fuel light came on which occured at exactly 600km. It took about 60 litres to fill it. I doubt there was 20 litres reserve in the car.
    I think the Website is correct.

I have e-mailed Ssangyong Australia to find out which is correct.
    tillyfromparadise
    Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 28 January 2007, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by otherside532 View Post
      Hello again all.
      Finally I get deep satisfaction,and even joy, knowing that I am taking money out of the pockets of "big oil!"

I anticipate my monthly fuel bill will go down from about NZ$500.00 per moth, to NZ$50.00 per month, I kid you not.
      Hey Geoff,

Although your posts are just the " written" word, I can still see you have a smile so wide it runs all the way round and meets up right in the middle of the back of your head .

It's great to have another blending convert here especially one that has a variety of vehicles and will be putting so many miles on them.
      I have thought for a while how much more profitable a person could make a business that was heavily vehicle dependent and therefore had significant fuel costs by running on veg oil. Oddly enough, a vehicle on the road all day would be the ones that would work the best on veg as well.

Good to think how much extra profit you will be making in your business through reduced fuel costs and the best part is you haven't had to alter you business operations at all to achieve it. I am sure an extra $100+ a week will make life enjoyably more comfortable and pleasant for you and your family.

I too get deep satisfaction out of using veg oil not so much through being able to stick it up the fuel companies, but rather being more independent of them and not having to commit so much of the families finances just towards transportation. This holidays just gone I have been able to take my kids to so many places that they would have normally not gone and if they had, they would have had to miss out on other things I am now able to spoil them with. Now they are about to go back to their school that is several suburbs from home, the savings on just getting them there will be able to be put to other more worthwhile and benificial things.

The only thing I am disappointed in with this veggie thing is I didn't try it at least 10 if not 20 years ago. Certaintainly the car I'm running was well and truly around then and so was Fish and chip oil

I enjoy reading your "Rants" Geoff so please keep us informed how things are going with your blending.

Comment

Originally posted by tillyfromparadise View Post
        Hello Otherside
        I drove till the fuel light came on... I doubt there was 20 litres reserve in the car.
        If it were my wifes car you were driving there would have been Tilly!
        I got sick of going to fetch her when she kept running out of fuel so I pulled the sender out of the tank and fixed it so there is about 20L of fuel left when the light comes on!

How is it I have been running round in a car for 3 months now with a fuel tank of only 20L capacity, no gauge and I still haven't managed to run out of fuel once, but she can manage to run her car bone dry with a 75L tank with a gauge, light and a warning buzzer ????

Comment

Hello Otherside

I received this reply from SsangYong Australia:

"In response to your recent email, the Australian SsangYong Musso release has a 70litre tank as listed on the website and in sales literature. The Musso handbook is generic for all countries and some features may not be included on the Australian release."

They did not mention the NZ Musso but I suspect it is the same

Comment

How long will a unmodified/stock engine last by only blending fuel (Veg 80% Ulp 20%) in kilometers????????????????.

I have herd of the oil rigs up in northern Australia using oil straight of the ground filtered of course diretly in their tanks. All well and good but their motors coke up after a about 10,000 ks and some need rebuilding, they dont care as they only keep the cart for a year or two.

Why are people all over the world using SVO kits and Biodiesel when it would be much easier and cheaper to blend in this way???????.

Has anyone had any big problems????. I find it amazing and almost to good to be true..

So who has the most Ks on the clock for blending????
            Vegetable Fuels PTY LTD

Comment

I can't see the difference between blending and SVO. In all cases it would be filtered and still have the same consistency except for thinning. From what I know about crude oil, it would clog your engine in nothing flat, because it contains so many different things, like tars, acids and is stiffer than furnace oil. I do know someone from Pt Hedland and they have told me they change their vehicles at the mines every couple of years, because the red dust eats them out very quickly. Having lived up that way back in the 70's I can vouch for that. Plus I'm not sure they have access to crude oil as the wells there all out to sea and 90% are gas wells, both products are piped to loading platforms and never see the land. But I may be wrong about that

So if filtered WVO is not going to coke your engine, why should blended. I'm about to give it a go and will back it up with a FPHE in the next few weeks, as I've just ordered a 330lt fuel tank to go in the back of my dual cab and will put a false floor over it and have a dual system with bio or dino in one and blended in the big one. Should give me about 3500klm and I intend to have a pumping and filtration system to fill up whilst travelling.

Comment

Originally posted by nature fuels View Post
                How long will a unmodified/stock engine last by only blending fuel (Veg 80% Ulp 20%) in kilometers????????????????.

I have herd of the oil rigs up in northern Australia using oil straight of the ground filtered of course diretly in their tanks. All well and good but their motors coke up after a about 10,000 ks and some need rebuilding, they dont care as they only keep the cart for a year or two.

Why are people all over the world using SVO kits and Biodiesel when it would be much easier and cheaper to blend in this way???????.

Has anyone had any big problems????. I find it amazing and almost to good to be true..

Hello again,
                I found this post interesting for a number of reasons,not least because of the questions asked.

There may, as yet, be no answer to the first question because, as yet, nobody has had problems, major or otherwise.

I am not technically inclined, but I fail to see any comparison between using basically "filtered (to what extent?) crude oil," and a mixture of petrol and clean WVO. If anyone has any ideas I would love to know them.

The answer to the third question could be that people all over the world using SVO kits and biodiesel just plain didn't know about blending until this forum in general and this thread in particular came into the public domain. I ask this question, why would sellers of SVO kits or biodiesel tell anybody anyway, since they would, in effect, be cutting their own throats, so to speak? The big oil companies also wouldn't broadcast the information since it could lead to a dramatic drop in diesel sales. Our environmentally concerned? politicians also certainly wouldn't tell uis because they are in the pockets of/in bed with "big oil,"as well as with the banks and big business in general, and would lose a ton of tax money if they let people know about blending. Politicians always have 2 "policies," the one for public release/con-sumption, and the real one, decided behind closed doors in alcohol fumes filled rooms.

As far as having big problems is concerned, it will be interesting to hear if anyone has had any and,if so, after how long.

The writer finds it amazing and almost too good to be true, and some things, but not all things can be so.

While not wishing to appear cynical and unkind, I have to say that the writer appears to be trying to create an element of fear and doubt about blending, Is the motivation for the tone of the post in anyway due to the fact that "nature fuels" are preparing to bring a newSVO conversion kit to the market later this yearand just might be a little concerned about their project if blending is not too good to be true, but is just good enough to be true? Surely not

"Carry on blending so as to cut spending!!" I certainly am. I am delighted with the way my 3 vehicles are running

Geoff-otherside532

Comment

My belief would be that it will run a lot longer than an engine using Normal Dino Diesel, especially the current low Sulfur stuff. This has already been well and truly shown to cause a whole host of problems, in part at least due to it's low lubruication properties. A blend has many times the ability to lubricate the pump and other moving parts in an engine and therefore reduce wear.

I would guess there are a whole lot of reasons. One would be that not all injection Pumps/engines are compatible with blends the same as not all engines are compatible with SVO conversions.

The major reason I would suggest would be fear. Just the same as not all people believe in BioDiesel, many people would probably be like yourself and suggest it is too good to be true.
                  In my readings and experience with the veg fuel commounity, many people see extremely overly cautious, particularly the yanks where a lot of the infomation comes from. They stress and worry about all sorts of things that many people just do and have no problems.

Like many things here in oz, we are largely influenced by the yanks who seem to want to anyalise every single angle and possibility imagineable instead of just getting on with it. While people are naturaly cautious about not doing something to damage Their Vehicles, there are no gaurantees with Biodiesel, WVO conversions or even buying Dino Diesel at the pump.

The other aspect that is becoming more prevelant these days is Business. Many people in the veg fuels commounity particularly in the US who are looked up to, have business interests in Bio Diesel or WVO conversions or at least personal beliefs which other people are influenced by. I am not saying this is a sinister thing at all, just a suggestion why Blending isn't as popular as other ways of using veg Fuel.

There is no real long term infomation on the effects of veg fuel in any form on any vehicle so one just has to take a leap of faith and see what happens. Many are not prepared to do that and instead feel more comfortable doing something they feel is less risky and more mainstream.

In this respect, it is well known that many people get attached to their cars and virtually see them as members of the family. Some people even give their cars names .
                  What few people do is look at their vehicle in business terms. If you buy a vehicle, run it on a blend or whatever and when the car fails, you have saved more in fuel costs and time than the cost of repairs or what a replacement vehicle would have cost you anyway, then you are ahead and have nothing to worry about. Maybe it Could have lasted longer using another fuel system but who could possibly tell?

This is my position with my own car and at this point in time with just a month or so till the car has paid itself back and a bit more, I have no worries that if it does fail, It won't be because of the blended fuel I have been using.

I always wonder what the obsession is these days with people worrying about how to make a car last to squeze every last mile out of the thing when most people only keep a car 5 years or so anyway before getting a newer one. People seem to hold on to Diesels longer I will admit but you have to ask yourself, How many miles you need the thing to last for in the first place before you intend to replace it anyway.

Probably a question best asked on a site like info pop that have a lot wider spectrum of members with more experience. There is a section on infopop called " Solvent Blending" but you may get more response in the SVO section which I am sure is far better frequented.

I am blending although it wasn't my intention to when I was looking for a diesel car. information I read combined with some circumstances at the time made me try it initially as a short term alternative. Admittedly it was easy for me because the car I got was a cheap old thing that wouldn't exactly ruin me if the blending caused it to stop. 3 months down the track and with a lot of experimentation, I am very confident and a total believer in the blending concept.

I certainly concede blending probably isn't ideal for every vehicle but it is an under utilised option for a great many people who do have vehicles that many people have shown it to work with.

Do your research and if that leads you to believe that it will work in your circumstances, take a leap of faith and give it a try. If you you will sleep better at night with the more popular methods of veg fueling, then that is what you should go with.

Comment

Hello again David, this is Geoff (otherside532) i am going to reply to each of your points underneath what you have written, so you can "connect the dots" so to speak and it will all be in bold like this. I think also a nice red will help

Originally posted by David View Post
                    My belief would be that it will run a lot longer than an engine using Normal Dino Diesel, especially the current low Sulfur stuff. This has already been well and truly shown to cause a whole host of problems, in part at least due to it's low lubruication properties. A blend has many times the ability to lubricate the pump and other moving parts in an engine and therefore reduce wear.

I would guess there are a whole lot of reasons. One would be that not all injection Pumps/engines are compatible with blends the same as not all engines are compatible with SVO conversions.

The major reason I would suggest would be fear. Just the same as not all people believe in BioDiesel, many people would probably be like yourself and suggest it is too good to be true.
                    You may have read in my previous post that "natural fuels" are preparing to launch a new SVO conversion kit later this year and may just have a slight vested interest in "knocking" blending. But "Brutus is an honourable man!"

In my readings and experience with the veg fuel commounity, many people see extremely overly cautious, particularly the yanks where a lot of the infomation comes from. They stress and worry about all sorts of things that many people just do and have no problems.
                    Your comment about "the yanks" is well founded. I went to America in 1991and lived there until coming to New Zealand in 2003. I believed it (USA) to be "The Land Of The Entrepreneur, Pioneer and Risk Taker." I was greatly disillusioned. It is the land of the bureaucrat, lying, publicity seeking, corrupt politicians and where it is easier to say "NO" than try anything new.
                    Like many things here in oz, we are largely influenced by the yanks who seem to want to anyalise every single angle and possibility imagineable instead of just getting on with it. While people are naturaly cautious about not doing something to damage Their Vehicles, there are no gaurantees with Biodiesel, WVO conversions or even buying Dino Diesel at the pump.
                    New Zealand is also largely and, in my view, very adversely affected by "the yanks." You have only to watch tv, both programmes and commercials, to see the "American Connection."
                    The other aspect that is becoming more prevelant these days is Business. Many people in the veg fuels commounity particularly in the US who are looked up to, have business interests in Bio Diesel or WVO conversions or at least personal beliefs which other people are influenced by. I am not saying this is a sinister thing at all, just a suggestion why Blending isn't as popular as other ways of using veg Fuel.
                    You are, in my view David, very perceptive and have hit the nail on the head with the word "Business." Another appopriate word would be "Greed." As I said in my previous post, why would SVO kit sellers, biodiesel makers, "big oil" and politicians tell the great unwashed masses about the benefits of blending? I could have been saving literally thousands of dollars in fuel cost months ago, had I known about "blending" earlier, as it is, I expect to reduce my monthly fuel bill from around NZ$500.00 per month to NZ$50.00, yes, a monthly saving of NZ$450.00-Blows your mind doesn't it?

There is no real long term infomation on the effects of veg fuel in any form on any vehicle so one just has to take a leap of faith and see what happens. Many are not prepared to do that and instead feel more comfortable doing something they feel is less risky and more mainstream.

In this respect, it is well known that many people get attached to their cars and virtually see them as members of the family. Some people even give their cars names .
                    What few people do is look at their vehicle in business terms. If you buy a vehicle, run it on a blend or whatever and when the car fails, you have saved more in fuel costs and time than the cost of repairs or what a replacement vehicle would have cost you anyway, then you are ahead and have nothing to worry about. Maybe it Could have lasted longer using another fuel system but who could possibly tell?

This is my position with my own car and at this point in time with just a month or so till the car has paid itself back and a bit more, I have no worries that if it does fail, It won't be because of the blended fuel I have been using.

I always wonder what the obsession is these days with people worrying about how to make a car last to squeze every last mile out of the thing when most people only keep a car 5 years or so anyway before getting a newer one. People seem to hold on to Diesels longer I will admit but you have to ask yourself, How many miles you need the thing to last for in the first place before you intend to replace it anyway.

Probably a question best asked on a site like info pop that have a lot wider spectrum of members with more experience. There is a section on infopop called " Solvent Blending" but you may get more response in the SVO section which I am sure is far better frequented.
                    How do I find "info pop?" I would like to have a look at it

I am blending although it wasn't my intention to when I was looking for a diesel car. information I read combined with some circumstances at the time made me try it initially as a short term alternative. Admittedly it was easy for me because the car I got was a cheap old thing that wouldn't exactly ruin me if the blending caused it to stop. 3 months down the track and with a lot of experimentation, I am very confident and a total believer in the blending concept.
                    As far as cost are concerned, when you consider that a WVO conversion kit costs several thousand dollars and you have instant cost savings with blending and no conversion kit, what you save could cover the cost of any engine problems, assuming you even have any.

I certainly concede blending probably isn't ideal for every vehicle but it is an under utilised option for a great many people who do have vehicles that many people have shown it to work with.

Do your research and if that leads you to believe that it will work in your circumstances, take a leap of faith and give it a try. If you you will sleep better at night with the more popular methods of veg fueling, then that is what you should go with.
                    Carry on blending and keep up your posting

Kind regards
                    Geoff-otherside532
                    P.S. You were right about the size of the smile and it is still there.

Comment

Hi Geoff,
                      The link is Biodiesel & SVO Forums - Powered by eve community
                      Enjoy and consume with caution
                      cheers, Michael

Comment

I'm not sure where I read this, but I know I've seen it a couple of times and this thread has jogged my memory.

In the Antarctic, they recommend blending up to 30% ULP to diesel to thin it out, so it can be used in machinery and vehicles. I remember reading it in a manual about what they have to do to survive and operate successfully. It sounds very reasonable to me and it also said something along the lines, the ULP stops the waxes from dropping out of the diesel. So it would be reasonable to assume that it would do exactly the same with WVO, unlike blending with bio/dino, which may react together to drop out waxes. What about water in WVO/ULP blend, or would it have dropped to the bottom of the drum and if you only syphon of the top layer of oil, which I believe David does and I am going to do. I've been transferring my WVO into plastic drums so I can see where the settling is so I don't get any of the junk and water.

I agree no one with a vested interest in either petro or bio/WVO, would want to support blending if it does what it does and I see no reason why it shouldn't. Anyway I'm going to do a search to see if I can find out a bit more on the what they do down south. As we have the Antarctic division here, I will contact them and see what they say, as they would have the most extreme conditions to deal with than anyone else, except on the Mars.

Comment

Hi Geoff,

I started this reply last night and I see that Micheal has posted the link you need so no use me repeating it.

It is a huge collection of information but unfortunately many of the topics go so far round in circles you can read a thread for hours and at the end, still not be a lot wiser than what you were 5 postings into it. Don't even bother looking at threads on things like de-watering, injection line heaters, gel points or centrifuges unless you have nothing else to do for a day or 3. You'll certainly see what I mean about people being overly cautious though.

Like I said, blending won't work in every application but as you point out, this very simple solution to alternative fuels is at odds with the interests of many. About the only thing that blending opens up a market for is filters where there is probably more bucks to be made in every other way of using veg fuel.

I have looked at many SVO kits and I am a bit taken aback by the prices but that is just from being more of a DIY type. Many people right here on this forum have done their own successful conversions with bits they have hunted around for and applying some of their own ingenuity. Some people I guess don't want to spend the time or have the nouse to work things out for themselves so a kit is a way for them to get into veg fuel. I guess If I had the opportunity to make a dollar doing something like kits, I would too.

Maybe you and I should get together and get a factory in china to make us up some special " Blending mixer" devices and other paraphenalia we can sell to add some expense, complication and therefore re-assurance to the process of blending for those who need some convincing it will work.

"Inline blending mixers" are a " Must Have" for anyone doing blending to avoid catastrophic engine damage caused through improperly mixed oil/ petro blends Wouldn't you say Geoff? I certainly would if I were flogging them!
                          So they look like a fuel filter or non return valve when you cut them open but we'll say they are specially designed for oil blends and how can anyone argue? We are not about to explain our technology secrets to anyone are we! Lots of people will believe whatever we tell them and swear by our products so we'll be sweet.

Certainly Wvo conversions and Bio have very important places in Bio fuel use and I intend to utilise both of these things eventually but for ease of application and minimal cost, blending is hard to go past.

ATM I am using a 12% blend. It works out nicely at 3L of petrol in a 25L drum and gives me that small extra comfort value in cold starting. In my car, starting at 10% does take a tad longer than I would like and the 12% blend does have a smal but noticeable difference. If I can get on to a Kero supply from the airport I would like to try 30-40% blends to see how that goes especially with winter coming up. ATM I'm thinking that with any non petrol blend, a dash of unleaded may be an asset for cold starting.

Keep That Smile Going Geoff !

Comment

It's a good question, how long will an engine last on a blend, and do you need a conversion kit?.

The way I see it is this : engines have a problem with vegie oil because it's too viscous. 2 ways to get around that 1. heating, 2. blending.

Now, a lot of the heating kits are used in countries where the climate is a lot colder than ours, and viscosity increases at colder temperatures. So blending will work less well and / or will be less economical in these climates as you'll have to add more. We're lucky in OZ / NZ because our mild climate gives us more leeway to experiment successfuly with viscous fuels.

A study showed that unheated vegetable oil did cause engine coking, and from the examples of high mileage converted cars heated vegie oil apparently doesn't.

So, the question remains, will cold, blended vegie oil cause coking or not. Whilst the blending gets over the engine starting problem will it remove the coking problem? I'd like to know the answer to this one.

Angus

Comment

A study showed that unheated vegetable oil did cause engine coking, and from the examples of high mileage converted cars heated vegie oil apparently doesn't.

So, the question remains, will cold, blended vegie oil cause coking or not. Whilst the blending gets over the engine starting problem will it remove the coking problem? I'd like to know the answer to this one.

Angus[/quote]

From memory the test was with palm oil which is barely liquid at 30 degrees C. So to quote an old advert. "oils ain't oils, sol".

One school of thought, with which I have sympathy as the physics are correct, is that the head and block of the engine are the final heat exchangers. In short it doesn't matter at what temp the oil hits the combustion chamber as the thermal mass of the head/block will heat the fuel vapour to whatever temp its at. That's why things improve as the engine heats up.

That said heating or blending the oil does help the IP and injectors by reducing the viscosity, thus enabling them to function with reduced stress.

Anyway as SVO or WVO blended or heated is relatively new and "alternative" no money has been forthcoming as yet to independently verify your question about coking. The variables are many: what engine, what oil, what blend, under what conditions etc. etc. So until someone coughs up a couple of million dollars, you'll just have to suck it and see - or not if you are risk averse.

Sorry this is not much help but I spent days surfing the net on this same issue with no joy.

cheers, Michael

Comment

Once again Michael you have beat me to the punch

I was writing a reply to this earlier today but then had to leave it before I finished. I was also going to mention the final heat exchanger theroy which I fully agree with. You will find the video HERE

As far as engine coking and cold veggie oil, here's my typically long winded theroy...

As to the how long Question, I noticed a chap posting on infopop that lives in Hawaii running a blend. His signature reads:
                                “90% WVO/10%kero in the summer, all single tank. 25,000 miles and counting”.

I'm pretty confident that if 40,000Km of running a blend hasn't coked up his engine yet, it isn't going to.
                                With a rough calculation of the fuel he would have poured through it and what he has saved, If the thing did die tomorrow, he still has plenty of cash in his pocket after paying for an engine rebuild.

This blender increases his kero ratio to 20% in the winter to address the higher cold viscosity referred to. I am reliably informed that one can blend up to 80% KERO with 20% WVO which of course would really thin the blend probably below the viscosity of Dino Diesel.

As to the tests with cold WVO, I have only seen 2, both of which I believe to be flawed. The tests were done with stationary engines that were run at relatively low, constant speed, under low to no load conditions. It is widely known and accepted that this is a bad scenario for any diesel engine even running diesel fuel and these tests could not have found anything but problems under these conditions. The problems at very least can be glazing of the bores which then can cause other problems such as ring coking. I believe a test needs to be done on a normally driven vehicle to have any value.

There are a lot of companies selling apparently successful single tank WVO systems. After reading much about these, it is still my opinion that no matter what heaters or set up is employed in a single tank system, when the engine is very first started, it is starting on cold oil.
                                There is no way to heat the oil sitting in the injectors and I have great reservations about how much heat is actually put into the injector lines and how much reaches the injectors in the first 15-30 seconds of the engine Firing up. To heat a few ML of oil that is then passed through a lump of cold metal that is embedded in a much larger lump of cold metal I cannot see having much effect in reducing viscosity of that oil at all.

I fully believe that what the guy in the video is saying about the head heating the oil, logically works in reverse and the injector and head are also quite capable of cooling them and the oil they contain to whatever temperature they are at the time.

I know that starting on blend, my own car fires up and runs rough for up to 15 seconds or so and then smooths out. Obviously as there are no differences in the fuel or outside influences acting upon it and the fact the engine smooths out must be at least in part to the heat being transferred to the injectors and affecting the way they are functioning.

To tie it all together, my point is if these single tank systems that are being sold in numbers and not being reported to cause the engines to coke up despite the fact the fuel the engine is starting on has to be cold, then there should be no reason why a blended fuel that is always going to be less viscous at a critical time should cause any problems either.

I don’t believe inline electrical heaters or injection line heaters make much difference at all to a cold engine simply because the IP and the engine are far too great a thermal mass for them to have any effect on it. Even if the hot oil only comes into contact with say 1Kg of cold pump metal, a simple calculation on the BTU's and electrical wattage to raise that amount of mass even 40oC would require far greater energy than what any of these devices are able to supply. The warm oil may certainly help the IP but by the time it gets to the injectors, it has well and truly given up all its heat. Therefore at that first startup, the blend is probably a lot better fuel setup to be running.

As the guy in the video points out, it is impossible to inject cold oil into a hot engine and once the engine is up to heat, a lot of warmth is transferred into the oil anyway through the IP and heat radiated from the engine. It is my belief that the combustion process once the vehicle is hot, burns off any residue that was left from small amount of oil injected in the cold start.

I don’t believe there is any definitive answer to the coking question as yet and I haven’t seen where anyone has run blend for a decent length of time in a vehicle and then cracked their engine to inspect it. Until a few engines with decent miles on them are examined, I guess we’ll have to wait for the answer.

In the meantime, I will have to trust the logic I have outlined here to the continuing well being of my engine and those that have done a great many more successful blend miles.

Comment

Working...
                                X