Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1976 Mercedes 300D - WVO conversion

Originally posted by MB300D81 View Post
    Thank you David and Tony for all the great info.

Just comming to think of the real need for this option though. Is it that hard to remeber? If the light buzzer stops working or if the car does not come with one, do we still forget to turn the light off?
    Some people do, which is why the buzzer was provided in the first place.
    I personally had no trouble remembering to change back from vegy to bio or diesel and my wife also drive a converted car for a while now and never forgotten.

I guess the fear of forgetting comes with the stong warning advise we give to people wanting or about to convert their cars. For example I often drove long hours "over 18 hours a day" and used to come home really falling a part yet I never forgotten to change over. I also spend 10 hours in studio recordings and come out with painful headache and still do not forget to switch back to diesel. Owners of the cars I converted are also finding it very easy thing to remember.

Thanks again for the info. I will look into it in depth for sure.

Tony, What if I went for a long drive and only stopped for a coffee where I do not need to change over?
    I do not have a recommendation for this for any vehicles but mine. Either of my Mercedes 300Ds will start from cold on 100% veggie (I found this out by forgetting to purge!). I prefer not to cold start on veggie, to avoid coking issues, so if the engine is going to be very warm when the break in my journey is finished, then I do not purge. If I am stopping for more than 1/2 hour in winter or 1 hour in summer, then I will purge. I also consider the wind conditions as these can drastically cool the engine quickly in winter.

Other vehicles and climatic conditions will be different.

Another thing to consider, is that some people suggest that the coking of injectors is due to a dribble of oil on the injector tip as the engine stops, being polymerised due to the heat and presence of air. I have not seen any studies to show whether this has a big effect or not, but dribbling injectors cause a loss of power and economy. It should not be an issue with properly adjusted injectors.

In my Capella, I used the 'shut-down delay' defeat button to allow immediate shut-down for short breaks in my journey where I did not wish to purge.

Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Hi, I'm new here and was doing some research. I found this thread, but could not view the photos. Any ideas where they went?

I will try to ask the poster directly.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi Ken,

Sorry about the photos pal.

Must have been deleted by mistake. or the link is lost.

Please note that cars in Australia are RHD.

Regards
        Fitian
        <><

Comment

Working...
        X