Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Converting a Toyota Hiace to SVO?

I'm on the road burning veg! Wahoo!

Thanks to Fitian for his work on the van. Thanks also to those on this and other forums for posting so much info and maintaining the WVO community.

It was surreal to be driving on used cooking oil. The power seems the same and the only real difference is the slight changes to the engine sounds and the BBQ smell

Here are some more photos of all the hoses, fittings, valves, FPHE's and filters that Fitian packed into the engine and battery compartments. Well done!

The third photo is of the IP. What is the thing on the IP with coolant hoses attached to it??

Cheers

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by 03Hiace View Post
      I'm on the road burning veg! Wahoo!

Well done!

The third photo is of the IP. What is the thing on the IP with coolant hoses attached to it??

Cheers

Paul
      Well done indeed.
      That thing ion the IP is a device which retards the injection timing until the engine warms up.
      Johnnojack
      4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
      Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnojack View Post
        Well done indeed.
        That thing ion the IP is a device which retards the injection timing until the engine warms up.
        Thanks everyone for your kind words.

Johnno, can you please give more info about this feature/device?

Thanks
        Fitian
        <><

Comment

Hi everyone,

Here's an update on the Hiace.

The van has clocked up 1,700 km on veg so far and is running well. We recently went on a camping trip around Glouster, and one morning the ambient temperature was - 5 C with the engine a cold 2 C (and ice inside the van) and the engine started within one second, so my purging seems OK.

The vacuum gauge reads 10 "Hg when the veg in the tank is cold and gets down to 4 "Hg once the tank has warmed up (it gets up to 65 C).

A fuel pump has been fitted to the veg supply at the outlet from the veg tank. It’s a walbro FRB-5-1, 10 psi 225L/m and pumps 1.5 L/m of cold vegoil. This pump has removed any concerns I had about the possibility of air leaks developing on the veg fuel supply as the vacuum/pressure gauge now reads 1psi (just before the IP). The pump has also improved the acceleration times as follows:

without pump
          0-60 km/h 11 sec
          0-100 km/h 26 sec

with pump
          0-60 km/h 10 sec
          0-100 km/h 22 sec

There used to be a buzzing sound coming from near the head/rocker cover when on veg. Since the walbro was fitted this sound has stopped. The engine still runs with the walbro turned off, although the buzzing sound returns. What are peoples thoughts on this? Fuel starvation??

Cheers

Paul

Comment

buzzing sound
            I've had this one too. Is connected with fuel starvation. I believe it's the valving inside the IP. It's very complex in there! That kind of sound is very hard to locate.
            How much capacity does your filter "have in hand". Tests I did showed that our IP's process 30litres of fuel per hour, most of which gets returned to the tank! All this means that the filter needs to be able to pass a generous amount of fuel with ease.
            Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but if I was running the popular CAV296, I would use two in tandem (parallel).

Comment

Hi everyone,

Here's an update on the Hiace.

The van has clocked up 1,700 km on veg so far and is running well. We recently went on a camping trip around Glouster, and one morning the ambient temperature was - 5 C with the engine a cold 2 C (and ice inside the van) and the engine started within one second, so my purging seems OK.
              I am glad you had a great camping trip. The compression on your engine seemed very healthy and still is by the sound of things.

The vacuum gauge reads 10 "Hg when the veg in the tank is cold and gets down to 4 "Hg once the tank has warmed up (it gets up to 65 C).

A fuel pump has been fitted to the veg supply at the outlet from the veg tank. It’s a walbro FRB-5-1, 10 psi 225L/m and pumps 1.5 L/m of cold vegoil. This pump has removed any concerns I had about the possibility of air leaks developing on the veg fuel supply as the vacuum/pressure gauge now reads 1psi (just before the IP). The pump has also improved the acceleration times as follows:

without pump
              0-60 km/h 11 sec
              0-100 km/h 26 sec

with pump
              0-60 km/h 10 sec
              0-100 km/h 22 sec
              The difference is

0-60 1 second
              0-100 4 seconds

I see good imporvement in pressure. I think the IP needs to be looked at.

There used to be a buzzing sound coming from near the head/rocker cover when on veg. Since the walbro was fitted this sound has stopped. The engine still runs with the walbro turned off, although the buzzing sound returns. What are peoples thoughts on this? Fuel starvation?? Paul
              I have tested the system for air leaks and I believe it had no leaks at all.

I thought this buzzing was comming from one of the panels that may have come lose. But since you now confirm that it is at the head/rocker cover then I believe your IP need a rebuild. The electric fuel pump you added has compensated for the worn out seal(s) in the IP.

I believe you can get away with the electric pump for a while "not sure for how long though" if you do not wish to rebuild the IP right away. Keep an eye on your vac. guage. You can also add a swirl tank before the CAV filter with an over flow connected to the veg return line.

Regards,
              Fitian
              <><

Comment

Originally posted by Fitian View Post
                Thanks everyone for your kind words.

Johnno, can you please give more info about this feature/device?

Thanks
                Sorry to take so long to answer Fitian, I missed your question.
                This gadget which many Bosch VE type pumps have, controls rotation of the advance piston in the bottom of the IP, thus advancing or retarding the injection according to the engine coolant temperature. It assists with cold starting.
                Johnnojack
                4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
                Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

Hello everyone. I have found myself on the cusp of purchasing a 90, or 92 Hiace 4x4, and drawn even more so to the idea due to biodiesel. I am curious though. I hope to convert it to a on the road living space for my self whilst I travel Canada and the States. I would love to be able to run directly on oil when I can but from the reading Ive been doing you need to take up quite a bit of space for storing the tanks in the van- also resulting in my home smelling like fries. I would love to hear anyone's ideas or words of advice with using straight biodiesel- also does this mean I have to do any engine conversions or can i pump the biodiesel directly in the main tank?

I appreciate all your ideas!

Comment

You should be able to fit a reasonably large second fuel tank under the body, between chassis rails and the outside edge of the van.
                    Using the existing diesel tank as a startup/shutdown tank and switching to the veggie oil tank once the engine is at operating temperature. If you are in a cold climate, or plan to traverse cold climates, heating the veggie oil tank and fuel lines would be prudent. In this case, I would recommend adding a heat exchanger in the veggie fuel line.

Why would you need to have tanks in the van? If you are planning on carrying additional fuel, then whether it is veggie or biodiesel, you would have the same issue. If you feel the need to carry additional fuel, perhaps a trailer for carrying the extra fuel would be an option (especially if you are planning on living inside the vehicle)
                    If you plan to make biodiesel, you will need to transport your processor, lye and methanol so you can process oil into biodiesel. If collecting the oil en-route, the storage needs would be the same for veggie oil fuel or biodiesel production.

I hope this helps,
                    Tony
                    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Hi meganiemel,

Originally posted by meganiemel View Post
                      Hello everyone. I have found myself on the cusp of purchasing a 90, or 92 Hiace 4x4, and drawn even more so to the idea due to biodiesel. I am curious though. I hope to convert it to a on the road living space for my self whilst I travel Canada and the States...also resulting in my home smelling like fries
                      Did they sell Toyota Hiace diesels in Canada?
                      What total distance are you planning on travelling?
                      I have never observed the "fries" smell many people mention.
                      It is likely your home will have a thin layer of oil.

Biodiesel goes in the main tank, no modifications required

I have done a few long trips using bioiesel. I try to carry as much as possible with me and hope for the best.
                      A lot depends on how you want to spend your time while travelling and how much money you have.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
                        You should be able to fit a reasonably large second fuel tank under the body, between chassis rails and the outside edge of the van.
                        Using the existing diesel tank as a startup/shutdown tank and switching to the veggie oil tank once the engine is at operating temperature. If you are in a cold climate, or plan to traverse cold climates, heating the veggie oil tank and fuel lines would be prudent. In this case, I would recommend adding a heat exchanger in the veggie fuel line.

Why would you need to have tanks in the van? If you are planning on carrying additional fuel, then whether it is veggie or biodiesel, you would have the same issue. If you feel the need to carry additional fuel, perhaps a trailer for carrying the extra fuel would be an option (especially if you are planning on living inside the vehicle)
                        If you plan to make biodiesel, you will need to transport your processor, lye and methanol so you can process oil into biodiesel. If collecting the oil en-route, the storage needs would be the same for veggie oil fuel or biodiesel production.

I hope this helps,
                        Tony

Thank you for the response! To clarify with the second veggie oil tank... Before the veggie oil is put stored into this tank isn`t it needed to already be filtered fully. Or is there a process it can go through where I can pour veggie oil directly from the restaurant source into it. This then meaning changing the filter often. This is all new to me and i`m just on the beginning stretch of this biodiesel and wvo knowledge road.

Comment

While it is tempting to pour unfiltered veggie oil into your tank, (and I know some who do that) it should only be done with well settled oil from a known source.
                          While I settle my oil for several months, I still filter to 1 micron before refueling.

The more fuel you carry, the further you go before needing to search out oil sources &/or make biodiesel.
                          Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                          '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                          '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                          '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                          '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                          '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                          '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                          '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                          '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                          '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                          '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                          '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                          '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                          Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Hi Paul. I know this is a pretty old thread but I'm hoping your still active. I'm considering buying a 2003 Prado which I think has the same engine as the 2003 HiAce (1KZ-TE???). How did your WVO conversion go. Anyone else got a Prado with the 1KZ on WVO? Tony

Comment

Originally posted by tarenja View Post
                              Hi Paul. I know this is a pretty old thread but I'm hoping your still active. I'm considering buying a 2003 Prado which I think has the same engine as the 2003 HiAce (1KZ-TE???). How did your WVO conversion go. Anyone else got a Prado with the 1KZ on WVO? Tony
                              I'm not still active with WVO.
                              When Fitian converted my Troopy diese6 fuel just hit $2/litre and I was doing 1,000 km/week. Fuel bill was $300/week, reduced to zero.
                              I converted my son's Surf then traded the troopy on a Patrol. Moved the 'conversion' onto the patrol. All conversions were totally successful.
                              I had 3,000 litres of WVO storage, settling filtering and final 1 micron filtering going into the fuel tank by electric pump.

In 2010 my weekly 'mileage' dropped to less than 100 km/week and diesel fuel was around $1.40/litre and I was sick of collecting and processing oil.
                              My son's Surf was doing fine on WVO that I was collecting and processing for him and my patrol was doing the same. The surf engine overheated and was damaged beyond economical repair (nothing to do with the fuel system - cooling system problems). Surf was sold to a Surf enthusiast who had the time and inclination to restore it. My son bought a dedicated LPG powered Falcon Wagon. I stopped collecting and processing and used up my remaining WVO supplies in the Patrol.

My son now has a Holden Volt. It has a 80 km range on batteries only. He uses about 50 litres of petrol/year.

I have 28 solar panels on my roof. If I get a Holden Volt I too could buy about 50 litres of petrol/year and run the volt mostly on solar power by charging from my solar pv system.

Comment

Working...
                              X