Where to find a drum funnel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to find a drum funnel?

Hi everyone. I just put my first blend into my '86 MK Patrol yesterday. Ratio about 2:3 oil:diesel and so far haven't noticed any difference in running, although the exhaust smell has changed slightly!
    I'm in the process of setting up a filtration plant, and have a great source of used oil, however, i want to leave a 205l drum for the waste oil to be poured into, and I can't seem to find those screw in metal funnels that i've seen on the fataway drums that are there at the moment.
    Where can I get a couple of these funnels?
    They are a basic metal cone, with a threaded (to match the thread on the 205l drum) part. Some of them I've seen have a bit of mesh across the throat.
    Any ideas?

Re: Where to find a drum funnel?

Any ideas?
    On the cheap and especially if you have a welder and access to a junk yard. Use a lpg cylinder cut in half as the funnel part. These have a convenient bsp fitting to adapt to the drum bung holes which are again BSP. Use a strainer made from a kitchen seive.
    ****Take care how you go about cutting the lpg cylinder though as they could be explosive even if appearing empty.****

Comment

This idea of the lpg cylinder sounds practical and durable too.

I have seen funnels made of thin metal that are very dear and do not last.

Good on you tbird650
      Fitian
      <><

Comment

Originally posted by tbird650 View Post
        ****Take care how you go about cutting the lpg cylinder though as they could be explosive even if appearing empty.****
        Fill the LPG cylinder with water before you start cutting.
        Sean

Comment

Originally posted by pangit View Post
          Fill the LPG cylinder with water before you start cutting.
          You don't have to leave the water in though. Filling water will get all the residual gas out. Then you can empty the water out and start cutting.

Comment

Originally posted by 98troopy View Post
            You don't have to leave the water in though. Filling water will get all the residual gas out. Then you can empty the water out and start cutting.
            Safest way to cut LPG cylinders and fuel tanks is to have the water in there and just leave a small air space where you are cutting. Then if there is any explosive mixture left the bang will be very small, not potentially fatal as it could be if a whole tank full of explosive mixture goes up.
            Johnnojack
            4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
            Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

That reminds me of we used to do to weld petrol tanks. Firstly drain tank, then run the exhaust gas from a petrol engine car into the tank via a hose. Run for 2 or 3 minutes. Do the welding job while still feeding exhaust gas in. Finish up and return to tank to service. Had benefits of not needing to clean out residual water and no need to remove tank from vehicle. When I was first shown this method, I was very dubious but the boss showed me, you could put the gas torch flame inside the tank and no explosion! I used this method dozens of times and on quite a few motorcycle tanks.
              Note: we only ever used petrol engine exhaust fumes, never diesel, LPG or CNG.
              Anyhow it made a good story and the thought of it often used to amaze people!

Comment

Working...
              X