X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Filtering question

Originally posted by tbird650 View Post
    If it's a rotary IP
    Actually, I think it is on second thought (I originally thought it may be an inline).

Wrong again!
    1987 Mercedes W124 300D
    1997 Ssangyong Musso Wagon

Comment

Toyota rotary IP of about early 90's vintage.
      Fuel banjo on left is the inlet, under its' bolt/stud is a strainer on some models. The banjo at the top is the outlet which has a special restrictor bolt. On the far right where the green wire is, under a rubber boot...that is the fuel shut-off. Earlier models have a strainer there. ..........

Comment

Originally posted by Tim-HJ61 View Post
        IF you are concerned about crud in your fuel tank, removing the bung in the bottom of the tank might help empty it out, or remove the tank and swish some fuel around inside to clear it out properly.
        Tim
        I was disappointed to find no bung in the bottom of the tank on my Nissan Patrol. It does however have a removable plate in the top containing the outlet and return pipes and it is accessible without removing the tank as there is an access hatch in the rear floor.

Comment

Well I found that my pump is inline type and has no other filter. I think I am not getting enough oil through the filter. So I will try and fit a parrallel filter system to my original it may allow enough fuel to flow round the system.

Comment

Originally posted by michael30.06 View Post
            Well I found that my pump is inline type and has no other filter. I think I am not getting enough oil through the filter. So I will try and fit a parrallel filter system to my original it may allow enough fuel to flow round the system.
            Is it possible for you to post a photo of your IP please?

Thanks
            Fitian
            <><

Comment

And whilst you're about taking photos, can you tell us what size your fuel line is.

Given this problem only occurs under high load, I suggest it is not a fuel filtering problem, it is a fuel supply problem.

So - look for blockages and restrictions in normal flow. I know you have a heated fuel line, but what size?? 8mm is likely to be too small, especially if the heated lines haven't had time to heat up all the line.

Tim
              Toyota Landcruiser 1988 HJ61 Manual Wagon
              12H-T turbo Direct Injection.
              Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80°C output, 12mm fuel lines
              Start up and shut down electric fuel pump feeds IP direct.
              Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.

Comment

I have tried to post the pic of my IP but my computer skills are lacking. The fuel line is half inch or 12.5mm. I have put in a bypass tonight made of 9mm alloy tube that was lying around which bypassed the fuel filter altogether. I will run it tomorrow and let you know.

Comment

Did you try using low pressure air blowing back the fuel line into the tank? You will be able to hear the air bubbling in the tank. This should clear any small blockages.
                  Telegraph Point NSW
                  Landcruiser GXL '96 - 80:20 blends
                  Pug 1.6 HDi - 308 Touring Wagon - definitely not game :-)

Comment

The filter bypass was only partially successful. Next step the air compressor from the shed. Tell you all about it tomorrow night. MIck

Comment

OK, so the problem is not a blocked or flow restricting filter.
                      Do you have a fuel pump in the stock setup? If so, have you fitted a fuel pressure gauge? If so, what pressure do you have at the IP inlet, at idle and when the problem is evident?.
                      If not, have you a vacuum gauge there? Waht is the reading at idle and when the problem is evident?

You can eliminate any fuel line issues (tank to filter) by using a temporary fuel tank (20 litre drum) and run fuel hose to the filter and return line back to the temporary tank.
                      For the purposes of testing, locate the drum on the passenger side floor and prevent any splashing out using a sponge or similar compressible material which is not affected by the oil.

Regards,

Tony
                      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

The filter bypass was only partially successful.
                        Given that you noticed an improvement, it does suggest that the filter is at least partially restrictive...... Otherwise, if there was no restriction, you would have got no improvement.

Sounds like you've got more then 1 problem.

Comment

Ok, First I do not have a fuel pump it seems to be vacuum from the IP drawing fuel from the tank.
                          I blew air from the in let connection of the fuel filter back down through the heated line to the tank. First thing I noticed was the tank is pressurising. So the tank vent must be blocked. But when I drew the fuel back through to the filter the car then ran quite well. So I seem to have 3 things going on 1 a restrictive filter. 2 a partial blockage in the fuel tank uptake that was disslodged by the pressurized air. 3 I need to unblock the tank vent. So I know what my job will be this weekend removing the fuel tank and cleaning it out and having a look at the fuel uptake.

Comment

Ok, First I do not have a fuel pump it seems to be vacuum from the IP drawing fuel from the tank.
                            Lift pump integral with IP.

Comment

Nuddy,
                              While the Rotary IPs do have an integral pump to draw fuel from the tank, I was referring to a fuel pump as a separate entity, as it makes a difference to the pressure / vacuum at the IP inlet, which was the subject of my post.
                              Regards,
                              Tony
                              Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                              '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                              '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                              '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                              '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                              '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                              '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                              '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                              '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                              '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                              '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                              '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                              '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                              Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Originally posted by Nuddy View Post
                                Lift pump integral with IP.
                                Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
                                Nuddy,
                                While the Rotary IPs do have an integral pump to draw fuel from the tank, I was referring to a fuel pump as a separate entity, as it makes a difference to the pressure / vacuum at the IP inlet, which was the subject of my post.
                                Regards,
                                Tony
                                Understood Tony. I was just trying to make it clear that an IP cannot generate vacuum to draw fuel from the tank. Sometimes people get the misapprehension that it can and thus make comments such as the one above from Michael. An IP needs an integral lift pump, a separate lift pump or gravity feed.

Comment

Working...
                                X