Glow Plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glow Plugs

I seem to have cooked one of my glow plugs in my 12V heater.

I think it was when I was testing it and I accidently left it running too long without any fuel.

Anyway,

"the moving finger writes
    and, having writ moves on
    nor all your piety nor wit
    shall lure it back to cancel half a line,
    nor all your tears wash out a word of it."

What I'm saying is there's no point worrying about it - just simply get a new glow plug!!

BUT..... Does anyone know where I might try to get a replacement? The plug is an AC Delco 60G. I've tried several places in Australia before checking ebay from the US. To my horror they tried to charge me $19 or so for the glow plug and a further $130 US dollars for postage!!

On top of that
    they wanted $24 handling fee!!!

Obviously I'm not going ahead with that purchase.

I'm grateful for suggestions. thanks.

Re: Glow Plugs

Hi Socrates,

so, I bet a fphe would have cost you less in the long run.

What type of glow plug heater do you have, where did it come from?

I would be using the same glow plugs that you have in your vehicle. There may be a issue with the thread but you could solve that problem with the correct brass fittings from a good plumbing store.

It has been suggested before about using a 24 volt glow plug in these heaters because they will still get hot but don't burn out easily on the 12 volts.

I think Bruce T may be the one to talk too about it.

God bless froggo.
    HJ45 Landcruiser Troopy
    Home made 2 tank system
    Blending in main diesel tank
    SVO/WVO Converted 18/01/08
    http://www.biofuelsforum.com/svo_users/3667-hj45_troopy_conversion.html

Comment

Originally posted by froggo View Post
      Hi Socrates,

so, I bet a fphe would have cost you less in the long run.

What type of glow plug heater do you have, where did it come from?

I would be using the same glow plugs that you have in your vehicle. There may be a issue with the thread but you could solve that problem with the correct brass fittings from a good plumbing store.

It has been suggested before about using a 24 volt glow plug in these heaters because they will still get hot but don't burn out easily on the 12 volts.

I think Bruce T may be the one to talk too about it.

God bless froggo.
      Thanks mate. Much appreciated.
      I like my 12V heater. It should work really well if I treat it with respect. I will also have a30 plate fphe running before it for good measure.
      The 2.8L hiluxes don't have glow plugs (at least to my knowledge).
      That aside, I think you have a point. I could possibly just get another more common glow plug (maybe 24v as you say) and modify the fitting.
      Shouldn't be a major hassle!

Comment

Originally posted by Socrates View Post
        Thanks mate. Much appreciated.
        I like my 12V heater. It should work really well if I treat it with respect. I will also have a30 plate fphe running before it for good measure.
        The 2.8L hiluxes don't have glow plugs (at least to my knowledge).
        That aside, I think you have a point. I could possibly just get another more common glow plug (maybe 24v as you say) and modify the fitting.
        Shouldn't be a major hassle!
        My son's 2.8 litre hilux has glowplugs. I would be very surprised if any IDI diesel does not. Most DI diesels have them too.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuddy View Post
          My son's 2.8 litre hilux has glowplugs. I would be very surprised if any IDI diesel does not. Most DI diesels have them too.
          I must be wrong. I just never bothered to look.

Comment

Not true actually, modern DI diesel typically use and air heater in most cases, there are no glowplugs.

In my Peugeot HDi but there is a heater sybol on the dash, only assume heater here. My Toyota DI definately had a heater until I took it out.

Matt
            Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
              Not true actually, modern DI diesel typically use and air heater in most cases, there are no glowplugs.

In my Peugeot HDi but there is a heater sybol on the dash, only assume heater here. My Toyota DI definately had a heater until I took it out.

Matt
              I said most DI use glow plugs. Over the last 100 years or so DI diesels generally have used glow plugs. Very recently manufacturers have saved a few bucks in production cost by trying to design a diesel that will start without glowplugs, thus the use of air heaters.

Just a thought, would one of these air heaters help starting from cold with a single tank conversion?

Comment

Probably, but would not help with fuel atomisation and, in turn, may allow incomplete burn and residual unburned fuel to accumulate on rings.

Regards,
                Tony
                Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

I seem to have found a place which may stock the glowplugs. I'll give 'em a call tomorrow.

I did have a thought though. How long do you reckon you should run a 12V heated fuel filter for before turning off the glow plugs(s)? I was under the impression that you could let just let them run at anytime as long as WVO is going through. I was told though that they will burn out if left on too long.

I know these things aren't popular with some people on the forum but I'd like to hear from anyone who has tried one as to their level of success or lack thereof.

I have no doubt mine works but as long as both glowplugs are on. It is not as effective with one but still adds some heat.

Comment

The glow plugs heating the fuel should never reach the operating temperatures as they would in the engine. Providing they are not allowed to be on without fuel in the heater, I doubt that leaving them on, in this application would shorten their life any appreciable amount. Some glow plugs last forever (it seems) others burn out soon after inastallation.

Install a "button thermostat" and relay to control the temperature of the filter housing. This will limit the maximum temperature the fuel can be heated to & minimise power consumption (engine loading). If you have a FPHE or other fuel heater before the GP heater, it will let the GP turn off when the engine is hot.

Regards,
                    Tony
                    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
                      The glow plugs heating the fuel should never reach the operating temperatures as they would in the engine. Providing they are not allowed to be on without fuel in the heater, I doubt that leaving them on, in this application would shorten their life any appreciable amount. Some glow plugs last forever (it seems) others burn out soon after inastallation.

Install a "button thermostat" and relay to control the temperature of the filter housing. This will limit the maximum temperature the fuel can be heated to & minimise power consumption (engine loading). If you have a FPHE or other fuel heater before the GP heater, it will let the GP turn off when the engine is hot.

Regards,
                      Tony
                      Thanks Tony!

I've already installed two switches, one for each glow plug. When I put in my temperature gauge I'll be able to switch them off/on according to temperture. I guess this is a manual version of what you are saying above. Still, I like your idea.

Comment

Hi Socrates,

as Tony said it is a simple step to automate the glow plug heater with a thermal snap switch from jaycar.

I broughts some about a year ago and they were only $2.10 each. These switches will turn your heater on and off to maintaining temps of about 85-100deg C. They need to be wired up with a relay but very simple to do.

I think most people who have built their own wvo systems have played with glow plug heaters as part of their learning.

I use fphe's because they are more reliable and that's important in a off-road vehicle that is used off road.

God bless froggo.
                        HJ45 Landcruiser Troopy
                        Home made 2 tank system
                        Blending in main diesel tank
                        SVO/WVO Converted 18/01/08
                        http://www.biofuelsforum.com/svo_users/3667-hj45_troopy_conversion.html

Comment

Originally posted by Socrates View Post
                          Thanks Tony!

I've already installed two switches, one for each glow plug. When I put in my temperature gauge I'll be able to switch them off/on according to temperture. I guess this is a manual version of what you are saying above. Still, I like your idea.
                          Warning....
                          In my opinion, the GPs should be run through relays. Otherwise it's a big ask of a switch to handle the amps. A guessimate would be 10- 12amps each GP! Also it would be very easy to leave the GPs on and it wouldnt be the first time a vegcar has caught fire because of that very thing.
                          The best way is to only ever have the heater on if the key is on, but you don't want to pull all that current through the key-switch. The solution is use relay/s & buy ones with twice the amp rating you expect to use.

Comment

Originally posted by tbird650 View Post
                            Warning....
                            In my opinion, the GPs should be run through relays. Otherwise it's a big ask of a switch to handle the amps. A guessimate would be 10- 12amps each GP! Also it would be very easy to leave the GPs on and it wouldnt be the first time a vegcar has caught fire because of that very thing.
                            The best way is to only ever have the heater on if the key is on, but you don't want to pull all that current through the key-switch. The solution is use relay/s & buy ones with twice the amp rating you expect to use.
                            That's OK. I've got it covered. I'm running two relays. One for each switch. The glow plugs are wired up to the ignition and will turn off when the vehicle is off. They also run through 15amp fuses each.

Originally posted by froggo View Post
                            Hi Socrates,

as Tony said it is a simple step to automate the glow plug heater with a thermal snap switch from jaycar.

I broughts some about a year ago and they were only $2.10 each. These switches will turn your heater on and off to maintaining temps of about 85-100deg C. They need to be wired up with a relay but very simple to do.

I think most people who have built their own wvo systems have played with glow plug heaters as part of their learning.

I use fphe's because they are more reliable and that's important in a off-road vehicle that is used off road.

God bless froggo.
                            I agree with you Froggo.

The wvo system is a permanent work in progress from what I can gather. I am wishing I paid the extra and bought a filter which is heated by coolant but all the same, I've got this now. I'll also investigate the thermostat idea down the track too.

Comment

Just an update on this.

I found the glowplugs here:

Eagle Auto Parts

Comment

Working...
                              X