Ssangyong Musso

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ssangyong Musso

Yep Musso is going well. I ended up getting a auto 2006 with 70kms for 10K - good value me thinks

It is a great vehicle and tows a compact (trek offroad) camper trailer easily.
    It is not really a offroad vehicle but is fine on rough tracks and gravel roads.

It does not have heaps of power but I am not drag racing or towing a 3 tonne caravan around Australia with it!
    As a general run around and occasionally a work ute it is fine, comfortable and easy to drive.
    I have added cruise control and a turbo timer - which it should have had from new.It has been running on SVO for some time - and I have forgotten to purge the system and it still started a few days later..

Makes me think I should buy another one and put it away in a shed for ten years

Even SWMBO likes it - although does not like the fact that it is a ute... Might buy her a Merc sedan with the same engine.

Safe cruising

Adam
    1980 Mercedes 300TD 2 tank setup mainly using SVO and some WVO
    1987 Toyota Landcruiser, 2 tank setup mainly using WVO
    2006 Musso Sports - SVO two tank, stock dino, 140lt veggie

Comment

Thanks Adam
      I guess I look around at what comes up.

michael
      97 Jeep XJ Cherokee on B100. 0 km's on B100 and counting !!!! (Sold)
      2002 Merc ML270 now on B100. (Sold)
      2006 Ssangyong Musso 2.9 t idi (Sold)
      2015 NP300 Navara ( Sold )
      2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Stainless processor with blue water pump.
      Tetragonula Hockingsi

Take the Leap and grow wings on the way down

Comment

Hi guys, I'm currently driving a 88' 60 (2H with aftermarket turbo)series cruiser wagon which has a dual tank conversion. Its a great rig for towing but ready to go and be replaced with something more comfy and (cough) automatic.

So the towing is all 2wd work with 2 tons total behind of rally car on trailer. Is a 2wd 05/06 Musso dual cab going to do this OK? Auto or manual? I really would like a automatic because most of the driving is in the city. Very interested in experiences with the Musso towing big loads.

Cheers, Aaron

Comment

Me thinks it would not be up to the task, power or weight wise. There are heaps of promotions for twincabs that claim that you "could" tow 2-3.5 tonnes, behind but you are going to pull the backside out of it! You should match the towing vehicle weight to what is being towed!
          So maybe a landcruiser or Patrol would be best.(plenty in autos)

I once went in a Rodeo that was towing a 3 tonne fifth wheeler, could do it but is was working very hard and I do not think it was sustainable or safe.
          I would not want buy that vehicle secondhand - it would be buggered after 100,000kms.... Friend of mine bought a (4 cylinder) Jackeroo that died because PO had towed a 2.5tonne caravan around Australia - he did not realise that it had a huge tow bar/link and big break system installed.

Comment

towing with a Musso ute

Take your point...and definitely don't want to get into something that's not up to the job. Wouldn't be more than a 2200kg tow about a dozen times a year.

Brakes, cruiser disc and drum - bloody woeful VS musso 4 wheel discs with ABS has to be an improvement
            The kerb weights are the same (1925kg cruiser VS 1951kg musso ute)
            Wheel base is the same (2730mm cruiser VS 2755mm musso ute)
            Power outputs are a bit down on the Musso VS turbo 2H but I'm sure this could be at least partly rectified with a good exhaust and tune up?

Still not convinced? Neither am I yet!

Cheers, Aaron.

Comment

Re: towing with a Musso ute

My daughter was into horse events a few years back. The first tow vehicle we had was a non-turbo Musso. Very slow but did the job. We took it all over the region.
              Then I got the 06 turbo Musso with automatic. Better at the job, but still there is only 88kw of power available so you do not necessarily keep up with traffic.
              Now she is into dogs and has her own brand new Triton dual cab diesel.

Because it's lineage is from an SUV, the rear seats of the Musso are absolutely spacious compared to most dual cabs. This means the pickup tub is small compared to other dual cabs. Over-all the ride is much better than any other dual cab I have ridden in, but nowhere near the comfy ride my wife's falcon has.

Comment

The Musso looks to lack clearance. Has anyone seen any suspensions lifted a few inches?
                Thanks Bruce

Comment

Have a look at the Ssangyong forum
                  http://www.ssangyongownersclubofaustralia.org

Comment

I have the chance to get a 1997 Musso SUV to a rather affordable price, are there any do's or don'ts with these vehicles? Its got over 300.000 km on it,

Thanks guys
                    1990 Toyota Hilux LN106 with ATG 2 tank system (sold after running 150.000 ks on mainly WVO)

1993 Toyota 75 Series with 1 HDT conversion, 75l factory tank and a custom 170l under tray tank. (Retired with 680.000ks on the clock mostly running on BIO and on WVO)

2006 Landcruiser Troopcarrier 1HZ with DTS Turbo Kit, 170ltr long range tank currently not converted, running on B100

"him who never made a mistake, made no discovery either"

Comment

Is it the one in Coff's? Looks pretty good if it is.Does it have a turbo? If it does, it will be an aftermarket (maybe dealer fitted) one, as they didn't come out with factory turbo until 1998, as far as I know.Some things to look at:If it's a non-turbo model, check that it's not too slow for your liking - especially if you plan on doing any towing with it.Check the transmission if it's an auto, as they can be expensive to rebuild, partly because the engine sump has to be removed to gain access to some of the transmission torque converter bolts - a lot of labour. Check the 4WD operation as they can have issues with the actuator/elec motor that selects range. Check the operation of the vacuum locking hubsUpper control arm bushes at the front are often chopped out, but are cheap to buy.Handbrake is often useless.Also, many of the Musso's I've seen have had some shonky repairs/mod's done to the vacuum system, possibly in an attempt to solve/hide some problems.Check that it shuts down as soon as you turn the key off. If it doesn't, it indicates issues with the vacuum system and/or the shut-off device on the IP (it's controlled by vacuum). If it doesn't it's usually a simple fix.DO: Run it on WVO/bio without fearPS. I have some goodies for this model if you end up buying one such as TJM long range tank (can use it in conjunction with the factory one so easy 2-tank system), rear Kaymar spare wheel carrier, etc.
                      1987 Mercedes W124 300D
                      1997 Ssangyong Musso Wagon

Comment

Other considerations,
                        I had a 96 manual Musso. The gearshift mechanism is the most amazing thing I have ever seen- not in a good way.
                        The transmission is only bolted to the engine with 4 bolts. I had a crack high up in the transmission case which may have been partly the result of this.
                        Other than leaking transmission oil It was not a problem. I got very efficient at checking and filling the transmission at any time or place.

The 2wd- 4wd- high range-low range shifting is electric. I had electrical wire contact problems that always made this very iffy. Again just crawl under the car and move the wires around going into the transmission usually fixed it. Of course if the car would not go into High range and you were 2500km form home...

Check the rear Diff oil. My diff crapped out on me in WA (A very long way from home) and cost a lot of money to have replaced. About what they seem to want for the one in Coffs harbour if you pick it up at the airport when they fly out.

Apparently the vacuum shift on the front hubs is a problem. There is no way to tell whether your hubs are really engaged until you become bogged. Mine had manually locking hubs installed by the previous owner. They worked fine.

The Car has central locking. It will randomly lock at anytime. NEVER NEVER NEVER leave the keys in the car with the windows up and shut all the doors. That is when it will self lock, guaranteed.

A small "quirck" with this IP is that over time as in years, at idle, the engine will often start running "loppy". This is a known problem and there is a factory "fix" which consists of a magnet installed in a certain position on the IP. Or you can live with it as I did.
                        I have not yet experienced this on my "new" musso

Other than that, I would have another one if I did not have my Musso dual cab. I would rather have one with a turbo.
                        tillyfromparadise
                        Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 31 July 2013, 10:26 PM.

Comment

I know this is an old thread, Ive just been looking at a 2005 muso, 200kms and $1700 I hope to pick it up on Tuesday, and run it on B100. It seemed a little gutless when i drove it, so I will delete the EGR, and the cat if it has one. Anyways its seems like a great buy, quite tidy apart form the tub which is beat up, I think ill replace it if I can find a cheap one. Its also got a few extras, air bag suspension in the back, roof rack ,canopy tow bar, stupid side step running board things... in case you want passengers riding on the outside of the car . Sounds like you can turn the fuel up on the pump, so Ill have to research how to do that, or just put up with it being a bit slow. Has anyone turned the fuel up on there Merc engine?

Comment

I have a Musso 2006 Sports (what a joke)
                            I also found it to be somewhat underpowered. I did some research on the IP adjustments and found this page: http://www.ssangyongclub.co.uk/forum...iesel-tuning/&
                            I cranked mine up a bit, but left the turbo waste gate settings alone because these engines are known to have an issue with head gasket failure. Increased induction pressure, in my opinion, may increase the likelihood of this happening.
                            I now have a responsive diesel engine which can overtake cars doing 100Km/h, getting to 120 and passing them easily.
                            There is a Musso sports in WA for sale at $3500, but I am a bit wary of the seller's story (not that I wanted to buy it).
                            Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                            '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                            '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                            '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                            '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                            '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                            '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                            '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                            '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                            '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                            '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                            '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                            '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                            Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

thanks tony there's is some great info on that site, did you just turn up the full load screw, or did you adjust the timing and ALDA screw as well.

Comment

I turned up the ALDA a bit to get off the mark before turbo spooled up.
                                I cranked Max Fuel up by half a turn
                                and I reset the idle down again to idle at around 800 RPM (a bit high though) and will reduce the idle to 700RPM when I get time.
                                I did not tough the IP timing at all.
                                Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                                '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                                '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                                '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                                '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                                '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                                '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                                '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                                '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                                '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                                '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                                '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                                '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                                Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Working...
                                X