What are the best fuel lines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the best fuel lines?

I've been thinking about fuel lines to run in my set up between pumps and heat exchanges, knowing that the oil is going to be pretty hot, I'm looking between polyethelene hose and what they call trucker hoses from the hydraulic shop, these are braided with stainless steel and have a high tempreture rating, but cost a fortune $100/metre. I've looked at plex lines but they are too stiff for the bends I need, regular polyethelene hoses might not handle to tempretures , deteriorate and leak at joins, I'm wondering what other wvo uses are using, or what problems you've had, any recomendations would be greatly appreciated

If I could also get any info in relation to oil tempreture, can the oil in the system get too hot and effect the solenoid valves or pump?

Re: What are the best fuel lines?

Under no circumstances use polyethylene or polypropylene. These will soften when hot and will not take the pressure over time. Normal fuel hose made with an inner lining of nitrile rubber is ok for vege oil, 3/8" hose costs about $8/meter. Some people use the semi clear PVC braided line but that will harden over time when subject to heat.
    Graeme

Comment

Has anyone seen the purple poly tubing that is used in boiler or hydronic heating scenerios. I would think that would handle the heat and give enough flex to run from engine bay to tank for hose in hose application??. Any thoughts
      Vegetable Fuels PTY LTD

Comment

hi all ive got a couple of mtrs of about 6mm fuel line with the woven stainless steel covering [normally about $100/mtr] feel free to make me an offer, just use the [private message] on this site,thanks

Comment

if you can find
          Polyurethane
          Rated for temperatures from -65 to 220 deg F. -54c to 104c
          Excellent resistance to Bio-Diesel so it would be fine for vegetable oil
          I am using it between my fuel filter and the IP on my VW.
          It is clear so it gives you the added benafit of being able to see any air leaks in the system. It is avaible in most motercycle shops. hope this helps
          later Mark
          wvodasher
          Biofuels Forum Newbie
          Last edited by wvodasher; 28 October 2006, 03:59 PM. Reason: noticed I some typos

Comment

I suggest to my Vegiecars customers, that they go to a fluid drive supplier such as Pirtek or Enzed and talk to them. I get my hoses from Pirtek, with a fuel line rated to about 120c being about twice the price of their ordinary fuel line, but not much more than buying from an auto shop.

Regards
            Marcus

Multifuel Diesel Vehicle Conversions
            Powered by Waste Vegetable Oils
            3 Waratah Avenue
            Belgrave Vic 3160

Comment

Hey Marcus, not heard from you in a while. Drop me a line or give me a call so that we can atch up a bit
              Regards
              Otherside532

Comment

Most houses are now plumbed up with a thick walled black poly ( Romac i think its called ) and it uses a special crimper for the joins it is used for both hot and cold, would this work for the outer hosing for a hose in hose set up. More flex that copper and more robust than rubber.
                Vegetable Fuels PTY LTD

Comment

Originally posted by merc300d View Post
                  Normal fuel hose made with an inner lining of nitrile rubber is ok for vege oil, 3/8" hose costs about $8/meter. Graeme

Mate , Get all your fuel hose from Clark Rubber. This very same hose is sold there for $5.45/meter. I checked at ENZED and it was $17/ meter.

Cheers.

Fitian
                  Fitian
                  <><

Comment

What is the best diameter for fuel lines? Is bigger better? Can all the lines be the same diameter?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by MB300D81 View Post
                      Mate , Get all your fuel hose from Clark Rubber. This very same hose is sold there for $5.45/meter. I checked at ENZED and it was $17/ meter.

Cheers.

Fitian
                      I went to supercheap the other day and got some 1/4" line for $11.95 a meter then I spotted it at the local Clarks for $6.95 /M off the roll and the exact same stuff.
                      They also had the regular clear plastic line and the reinforced variety cheaper than other places.

Comment

Originally posted by Urvey View Post
                        What is the best diameter for fuel lines? Is bigger better? Can all the lines be the same diameter?

Thanks
                        Hi urvey when replacing fuel lines replace with the same size hose..... smaller simply will not fit and larger hoses will leak
                        Quite simple replace same for same size.
                        DFE

Cheers Fantom

Comment

If you are adding fuel line for a veggie conversion, then a larger internal diameter will allow for a lower resistance to flow, especiallt in the unheated fuel lines and long runs. You can get the hose barbs to suit and design your system to handle these hose sizes. Where the hose barb is a fixed size (eg Pollak valves and IP), step down to that hose size at a convenient location (eg filter)

Regards,
                          Tony
                          Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                          '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                          '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                          '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                          '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                          '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                          '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                          '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                          '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                          '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                          '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                          '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                          '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                          Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Working...
                          X