Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mercedes 300D conversion

Hi Tony,

I contacted Paul about a pollak valve. His current price is $99 but he is out of stock for the next two months. I know other supplier in Australia are selling this item for $140. I had to buy one from e-bay for my other 300D two weeks ago that cost me $109.

Cheers,

Fitian
    Fitian
    <><

Comment

I stand corrected on the price.

Regards,
      Tony
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Just updating ...

I have taken David's advise and put both Heat Exchangers in series rather than T 'ing them to the coolant system and noticed a great difference and even the white smoke I used to get while idling at traffic lights has gone.

Here are some photos...

Also someone has asked me on how do I change the CAV element with the CAV setting in such a tight place.

I thought of it while setting things up. Here is how I do it with total comfort...

Cheers,

Fitian
        Fitian
        <><

Comment

Hi Fitian,

Great Pics and engineering.

I'm glad the modification with the HE was so successful. I mentioned this on the infopop forum and no one was able to tell me why the HE's are normally T'ed. I think it is a practice that has become the the way people do the conversion only because that is the way others have done it before them. As it seems more effective and beneficial to put the HE's in series, perhaps people will start changing the standard conversion methodology.

Your readily detachable filter and bucket setup is very well thought out and could be a convenient solution to a problem with space many people may have.

Well done on an innovative and very practical setup.

Comment

Hi,

I found your post very helpful. I've got a 1983 300D that i intend to convert in the next couple of months. Can you recomend any other resources as a place to start. I'm new to this but have good machanical know how and freinds that can help, just need to do some more reading.

Regards

Ashley from Cronulla

Comment

Hi,

I found your post very helpful. I've got a 1983 300D that i intend to convert in the next couple of months. Can you recomend any other resources as a place to start. I'm new to this but have good machanical know how and freinds that can help, just need to do some more reading.

Regards

Ashley from Cronulla

Comment

Hi,
                Regards
                Ashley from Cronulla

Comment

Ashley,

Thanks for your kind comment. I'd be very happy to help you and give you a hand if you like me to. Cronulla is not that far from me.

Regards,

Fitian
                  Fitian
                  <><

Comment

Just an update guys.

In regards to setting up all heat exchangers in series - I realised that my heater was not working and had a fault which allowed the coolant to flow. While in my wife's car things are working as they should do which shows that setting heat exchangers in parallel are the way to go.

Thanks for all the thoughts.

Fitian
                    Fitian
                    <><

Comment

Does anyone converted a 1998 mercedes E300 TD? I am about to start one i would like some feedback.

Comment

Hi and welcome to the fun world

Post some photos of your engine bay and I am sure all of us here will try to help.

Where about are you?

Cheers
                        Fitian
                        <><

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Echidna View Post
                          Tony says some veg oil in it will help with it keeping it lubricating properties, but 300D injector pumps are lubricated with engine oil, not so much fuel oil, so it should not be a problem.
                          This doesn't sound right to me. my 300D doesn't appear to be lubricated by engine oil. Can somebody please explain this to me?

Thanks in advance.
                          Cheers
                          Nick.
                          Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RODEONICK View Post
                            Originally Posted by Captain Echidna
                            Tony says some veg oil in it will help with it keeping it lubricating properties, but 300D injector pumps are lubricated with engine oil, not so much fuel oil, so it should not be a problem.
                            This doesn't sound right to me. my 300D doesn't appear to be lubricated by engine oil. Can somebody please explain this to me?

Thanks in advance.
                            Nick,
                            What I said is correct, but is more important in engines with rotary IPs.

Capt Echidna is also correct in that the Bosch inline IP in the 300D and other similar engines is lubricated by engine oil.

In some earlier models, the IP had its own sump and filler cap. ion the 300D, the IP receives oil from the engine which drains back to the engine after passing thru the workings.
                            The fuel still needs to have lubricating properties as it lubricates the valves in the IP High Pressure outlets (to the injectors) and the moving parts in the injectors themselves

I hope this helps,
                            Tony
                            Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
                            '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                            '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
                              Nick,
                              What I said is correct, but is more important in engines with rotary IPs.

Capt Echidna is also correct in that the Bosch inline IP in the 300D and other similar engines is lubricated by engine oil.

In some earlier models, the IP had its own sump and filler cap. ion the 300D, the IP receives oil from the engine which drains back to the engine after passing thru the workings.
                              The fuel still needs to have lubricating properties as it lubricates the valves in the IP High Pressure outlets (to the injectors) and the moving parts in the injectors themselves

I hope this helps,
                              Tony
                              Hi tony i should have been clearer.
                              I don't disput your comment on the lubricity of the veg at all, i shouldn't have put that in.sorry

My 83 300d doesn't have any oil lines to or from the IP. it doesn't appear to have its own sump or filler either. strange.
                              If you look closely at the first and second pictures you can see threaded holes that haven't been drilled. Is this where lines would usually attach. I hope these help you explain this to me Thanks
                              Nick

RODEONICK
                              Too Busy To Bio.
                              Last edited by RODEONICK; 23 April 2008, 09:52 PM.
                              Cheers
                              Nick.
                              Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW
                              sigpic

Comment

While I don't know the path the oil takes to the IP, if I take off the side plate of the IP, behind the fuel pump, the oil in there is black, indicating that it is sump oil.

Perhaps it comes via the mating flange of the IP, where it contacts the timing chain gallery.

Tony

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Working...
                                X