Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mercedes 300D conversion

Hi Nick,
    The IP on 300Ds has to be lubricated by engine oil. The lift pump as Tony said drops a fair amount of engine oil. If you take off the three nuts "size 10mm", the lift pump will come undone and oil will come out.

While you at it change the gaskit behind the lift pump.

You'll get better help if you post your question about your 300D on Ozbenz forums and also MercedesShop - Mercedes Benz Parts and Technical Information

Cheers
    Fitian
    <><

Comment

Fitian
      At the beginning of the post you where suffering from a fuel starvation problem when you did the conversion. you have fixed it by now but you never mentioned how or what fixed it. Was it the fuel filter.

Comment

Hello Hicko,

It was the CAV filter cast. It was leaking air into the system from under the centre bolt - It was fixed by re-machinning the seat "See photo" . There was some after market CAV filters back then and I mistakenly bought one.

Also the delphi element was restricting the flow. But I am using Fleetguard now and it works beautifully.

Regards

Originally posted by hicko View Post
        Fitian
        At the beginning of the post you where suffering from a fuel starvation problem when you did the conversion. you have fixed it by now but you never mentioned how or what fixed it. Was it the fuel filter.
        Fitian
        <><

Comment

My Delica is suffering from very similar problem at the moment. But it seem to come and go. I suspect that it may be the filter. So I will bypass it today and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
            Perhaps it comes via the mating flange of the IP, where it contacts the timing chain gallery.
            Tony
            Your spot on Tony, I investigated all possible places on these bosch inline 300d IP's and it does receive lubrication from engine oil from the Front flange.

Originally posted by Fitian View Post
            Hi Nick,
            The IP on 300Ds has to be lubricated by engine oil.
            While you at it change the gaskit behind the lift pump.
            I haven't bothered changing the gaskit as i haven't removed the lift pump and it isn't leaking.

so there you have it punters they ARE lubricated by engine oil even if they don't look it.

Cheers Nick.
            Cheers
            Nick.
            Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW
            sigpic

Comment

Hi Tony

Any chance of re-posting the pics referred to below ... I know it's an old post but thinking of doing a similar job on my 300d

Stuart

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
              In both of the 300Ds which I have converted, I tied the new fuel line and in one case the coolant lines, bundled with the fule lines and insulated with pipe insulation, to the metal fuel lines under the car, using nylon cable ties. My only concern was where the fuel lines pass between the rear subframe and the suspension. Photos of this part of the conversion:
              Under side - rear

Under side - front

In engine bay

Hot coolant line from engine

Coolant retuirn to engine

I believe that it may be possible to run the hoses inside the cabin from the bonnet hinge area, under the carpet and seats to the boot, buit you would need to protect the hoses from abrasion where they pass thru the bulkheads.

Comment

Working...
              X