Shitbox Rally October 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shitbox Rally October 2019

Yes it is painful having to pick up the servo nozzle, at least it won't use much if you take it easy.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
    Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 3DB View Post
      Hello Team,

The Rally is fast approaching- just over 2 months away now. I’m heading up to Brisbane on 22 August to pick up the Peugeot and drive it back down to Sydney. I think I’ll do this part on Dino as I’m not sure I want to be dealing with filter blockages on the side of the road in an unknown vehicle of 25 year vintage that has never had biofuels in it before, as much as it pains me to buy fuel at a servo.

ive made a Facebook page if you are interested in following

https://m.facebook.com/thirddegreeburns2019

This month I have started using a veggie blend in my 2004 Ssangyong Rexton. To minimise replacement of the main fuel filter, I use one of these https://www.biofuelsforum.com/album....achmentid=2195 prior to the main fuel filter.
      I have cleaned , or replaced, these 5 times now and it is getting longer between changes.
      We were on our way to an appointment a week ago and the car started struggling when accelerating. I pulled over and removed the filter. I blew back from the outlet (straight connection) and cleared over 90% of the blockage. I reinstalled the filter and we continued without any further fuel supply issues.
      I have one of these which is over 12 years old now and has been cleaned (put some petrol in it and shake it up, then blow from the outlet side. this cleans the remainder of any particles remaining after blowing the oil and blockage out of it). I allow it to dry and put it into a zip lock bag in the car, ready for roadside prefilter changes.
      I use butterfly worm drive clamps which allow me to change it without needing tools, just a rag to wipe my hands after the prefilter change.

Best wished for your adventure in the Shitbox Rally.
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Hi Tony,

i bought a box of 10 of those from MANN a while back and will definitely install one before adding bio. They are fantastic. My only gripe is that they don’t have barbs on the end so don’t seal as well as they could if they did.

see you on the other side!
        3DB
        1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
        1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016 - SOLD
        1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT 1.9L intercooled turbo diesel (Shitbox Rally car.) - B100 since August 2019 - SOLD
        @thirddegreeburns on Instagram
        @thirddegreeburns2019 on Facebook

Comment

I made it back to Sydney ok in the Pug. It went pretty well and got amazing fuel economy in the range of 5 L/100 km. Under those conditions it would have a range of up to 1,500 km on one tank. I imagine it will chew a bit more bio though. I drove just under 1,000 km on Thursday and Friday and overtopped the tank with the 3rd cubie of bio I put into it. It had a bad fuel leak and wouldn't start in the mornings as well. I soon identified it had a perished rubber end cap on the injector return line that was almost invisible apart from the fuel leak. It was also letting air in after extended stops and making it hard to start. Within a few hundred meters of putting bio in it, the engine rattle quietened down. It seems happy with it and I haven't noticed any change in power. I also put a pre-filter on in anticipation of a tank clean. Just got to put some more miles on it now.
          3DB
          1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
          1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016 - SOLD
          1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT 1.9L intercooled turbo diesel (Shitbox Rally car.) - B100 since August 2019 - SOLD
          @thirddegreeburns on Instagram
          @thirddegreeburns2019 on Facebook

Comment

Working...
          X