Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Musso Fuel Gauge stuck at 3/4 tank

A word about my fuel gauge.
    Over the years it has developed so that every time I filled up, the gauge would drop to E. During driving the fuel gauge would randomly work and not work but never seemed to indicate more than was in the tank. It would usually settle down over a few days and start working properly.

When I switched to 60% WVO/ 40% biodiesel this situation became more pronounced- for about two weeks. Then it started reading accurately more often until now it is working pretty much as it should work with rarely a random drop to E, even when filling the tank.

Comment

Tilly, My Musso fuel gauge reads full now when I turn the ignition on, but only because I had a near full tank when the head / gasket went.
      I may pump the tank out, I may flush the IP with diesel in case someone wants to buy it from me.
      I will convert the Courier 2.5TD to a 2 tank system, using a 5L engine bay tank behind the Left headlight. Photos to come....
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Funny, today, two days after I read this my fuel gauge on my musso failed! Stuck just above half. (I have been on WVO for 3 months) Took me a while to realize it was not going down. Had along drive, but I was hoping low fuel light would come on as others had said. Unfortunately this did not happen and I ran out out fuel! Not far form home and the wife drove down with some fuel.

Also got caught months ago, locked out of Musso with engine running. I broke rear small quarter vent like window and replaced it with a piece of perspex. I also drilled a hole in the Passenger door pull up button, so it is easy to hook a piece of wire into it and pull it up if i am locked out again. This has happened once again already, and wire worked like a dream.

Comment

If you have a Musso sport, you can get a coat hanger wire through between the locked door and frame of the car and push the unlock button on the dash. I do not remember if the older Musso SUV/ station wagon had an unlock button or not.

Comment

Originally posted by tillyfromparadise View Post
            If you have a Musso sport, you can get a coat hanger wire through between the locked door and frame of the car and push the unlock button on the dash. I do not remember if the older Musso SUV/ station wagon had an unlock button or not.
            It is a Sports!
            And yes I never thought of that! Seems obvious once you mention it, of course!

Comment

Fuel tank senders not reading correctly on vehicles using veggie seems common on a number of threads.
              Comments advising improvement once using a blend with biodiesel (solvent) etc makes me wonder as to a build up of dried oil being removed from the resistor board?
              Maybe those of us using wvo / wvo blends should use an occasional splash of a solvent in our mix?
              EG
              White spirit
              turps
              Biodiesel
              Petrol
              Metho
              Methanol

Personally I’m happy staying away from the hazardous chemicals used making biodiesel (small 3rd degree burn from a light touch of meth oxide on a hose), but drying and filtering wvo (sushi shops have almost no fats in it), add 5% petrol, an occasional dash of turps, white spirits, suits me fine.

Stay safe comrades
              Harvey
              1983 BJ42 Landcruiser (sold)
              1997 C250TD Mercedes-Benz 60,000 km on wvo

Comment

After I posted that my sender got stuck after a few months on WVO I took it out (Very easy in Musso) and cleaned electric board with soft tooth brush and methanol. It worked fine again. It has only been a few weeks so far.

Don't feel inclined to add anything to my WVO tho. I have an Elsbett single tank system.
                Will see how long fuel sensor keeps working.
                Jim

Comment

Great to hear of your success Jim.
                  I often wonder as to whether the “dried build up of veggie oil” I get around my storage and filtering equipment represents the inside of my fuel tank? If so, is it creating a build up that will eventually “let go” and block up the fuel line?
                  I’m into in how your elsbett system goes long term as it’s 100% veggie. Will any build up on surfaces of tanks or lines be inhabiting. Let us know.

Kind regards Harvey
                  Harvey
                  1983 BJ42 Landcruiser (sold)
                  1997 C250TD Mercedes-Benz 60,000 km on wvo

Comment

Working...
                  X