Toyota wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toyota wheel

You could put a long chain and padlock on it, looped over the spare wheel carrier and padlocked to the wheel.
    Alternatly you could put the spare on a carrier on the back (a pain in the @$$ when loading the back) to bring the padlock to a comfortable height. Of course that would free up lots of room for a 180L fuel tank......

Or some kind of electric fence setup, switched off from within the car. I had considered one of these for the bonnet star on the merc, preferably connected to a camera to get a photo of the offender, somwhere between him saying faa and arrk. I can imagine seeing these on mercpartsonline.com as "Bonnet star- normal $49.95, 5 in stock, Bonnet star - theif electrocuting - $1350.00 Sold out".
    Captain Echidna
    Last edited by Captain Echidna; 15 March 2010, 10:07 AM.
    cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Captain and Dave you have both given me food for thought. I'm sorry Dave but the consequences of stains on the duco would be unappealing. The elctric thingi I like, the electric star, well where do I buy one and how much did you say $1350. Sound sreasonable for the pleasure it would bring

A padlock under the car would risk mud etc fowling the lock.

Peter<><

Comment

could you put some glad wrap around it to keep the dirt out?

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Echidna View Post
          I did see someone make a spare wheel mount inside the car at the back. Sat upright on one side.
          That's one option when they fit a fuel tank (or LPG) to a LC100. The other is an external carrier. Wheel can be locked to the external carrier.
          Trouble with the internal carrier is it interferes with the rear child seats which Peter uses as he has a large family.
          However this is probably just academic now as I think Peter is looking to replace the LC with a Patrol.

Comment

Just bought a padlock that has a seal over the key hole and a housing to protect it from weather. Bought from local locksmith. I'll use a chain to lock it up. Thanks for suggestions people.

Peter<><

Comment

Hi PeterAC,

my troopy spare must have suffered the same fate as your's at some point in
              it's life.

The troopies wind down lug is a custom made shape so you have to have the correct winder handle to fit on it, a bit like a wheel nut lock.

Otherwise it's all a long hard job under the vehicle using multigrips to turn the shaft and lower the spare.

God bless, froggo.
              froggo
              Last edited by froggo; 27 March 2010, 11:47 PM. Reason: spelling
              HJ45 Landcruiser Troopy
              Home made 2 tank system
              Blending in main diesel tank
              SVO/WVO Converted 18/01/08
              http://www.biofuelsforum.com/svo_users/3667-hj45_troopy_conversion.html

Comment

Hi Froggo,

Yes mine has that tool as well. Can only hope his need for it was bigger than mine. We all know how things need to be shared around

Peter<><

Comment

On the 80 series there is a bolt accessed from inside only that must be retratcted before you can access the winder, it blocks access through the hole, surely the 100 series has this?

Originally posted by PeterAC View Post
                  Just bought a padlock that has a seal over the key hole and a housing to protect it from weather. Bought from local locksmith. I'll use a chain to lock it up. Thanks for suggestions people.

Peter<><
                  Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

I dont think mine had such a bolt, but it is a 1990 model.
                    cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Well my 2001 Standard Wagon doesnt have the bolt either. The rubber floor mat is screwed down along the door opening anyway.

I think I will be safe though as I doubt anyone would be desperate enough to pinch an old split rim with a free running tyre on it that has done about 50,000 km!

Its as heavy as sin anyway.

Comment

No Matt, in their wisdom Toyota R&D division wanted to lighten the turbo model in the 100 series. Remove the anti theft bolt, low and behold, not before long, you forby is approx 60 kgs lighter (as in my case)

Comment

For those whose underside tyre carriers wind down with the jack handle, you may be able to pass a suitable bolt thru the slot in the rear member, cut it to length and cross drill it to take a small padlock At least it slows the buggers down, Regards, Combustor.
                          HZJ78 Cruiser on blends in East Kimberley.

Comment

Working...
                          X