Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Water-methanol injection for turbo diesels

Harvey,

Firstly, your engine bay is impressively spotless for a nearly 20-year-old car!

Your water/meth system is obviously a lot more high-tech than mine. The progressive injection rate seems like a good idea to conserve boost juice among other things.

Plumbing of the nozzle post-intercooler seems to be the standard approach. Let the intercooler do as much work to reduce heat as it can, then inject and start from a lower temp. The main risk in putting it closer to the combustion chamber would be inadequate atomisation or uneven distribution between cylinders.

Mine was plumbed straight into the turbo outlet housing by the PO, which I feel was a bit extreme. Because it doesn't have an intercooler the path between turbo and combustion chamber is much shorter, so the theory was to give it as much distance as possible to mix properly.

Harvey - do you intend to increase the fuel delivery from the IP? I think this is where the water-meth injection comes into its own, reducing the increased combustion temps. I have some instructions on how to do it, but am a bit reluctant due to the age of the engine. I have an EGT gauge it it never gets above about 300C pre-turbo, so there is plenty of room to move temperature-wise...not sure about horsepower and torque though.
    3DB
    1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
    1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016 - SOLD
    1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT 1.9L intercooled turbo diesel (Shitbox Rally car.) - B100 since August 2019 - SOLD
    @thirddegreeburns on Instagram
    @thirddegreeburns2019 on Facebook

Comment

Harvey - do you intend to increase the fuel delivery from the IP? I think this is where the water-meth injection comes into its own, reducing the increased combustion temps. I have some instructions on how to do it, but am a bit reluctant due to the age of the engine. I have an EGT gauge it it never gets above about 300C pre-turbo, so there is plenty of room to move temperature-wise...not sure about horsepower and torque though.[/QUOTE]

3DB
      I don't have the knowledge and skills to play with the IP. Reluctant to try. I like playing with things to nut out how they work etc, as I suspect many of us do, but fear if I do I will regret it.
      My MB mechanic imports IP pumps from Finland for my engine that increases fuel delivery to achieve an increase in HP from 150 to near 300HP. The young man in me is tempted, but the old man I am can't justify the $5,000 cost into a $5,500 car. But wouldn't it be a hoot !!! Might go buy a Lotto ticket and dream on.
      Harvey
      1983 BJ42 Landcruiser (sold)
      1997 C250TD Mercedes-Benz 60,000 km on wvo

Comment

Where's your sense of adventure ?

Those pumps from Finland are probably from Dieselmeken - plug that into youtube and check out the craziness. $5K is definitely too much coin though. I think the main thing he does is upgrade the elements from 5mm to 7.5mm. I have no idea what that physically entails, but it seems to yield spectacular results.
        3DB
        1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT 1.9L intercooled turbo diesel (Shitbox Rally car.) - B100 since August 2019 - SOLD

Comment

With the talk about the whole boost regulated switches and gimmicks raises one question, what would I do on the old 1 Hz with no turbo and if boost gauge? It would only get a on/off switch I guess? Maybe behind the loud pedal, once it's on the floor (and its there quite a bit:-) ) the pump would come on. Or is there a better alternative?
          1990 Toyota Hilux LN106 with ATG 2 tank system (sold after running 150.000 ks on mainly WVO)

1993 Toyota 75 Series with 1 HDT conversion, 75l factory tank and a custom 170l under tray tank. (Retired with 680.000ks on the clock mostly running on BIO and on WVO)

2006 Landcruiser Troopcarrier 1HZ with DTS Turbo Kit, 170ltr long range tank currently not converted, running on B100

"him who never made a mistake, made no discovery either"

Comment

Without a turbo, I would go for the loud pedal switch. That is how I powered the water/ metho injection on my Mazda Capella. It worked for me.
            Tony
            Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
            '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
            '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
            '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
            '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
            '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
            '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
            '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
            '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
            '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
            '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
            '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
            '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
            Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Bueff - Tony has done it before, so no need to re-invent the wheel. Your costs will be a lot lower also as you don't need a high pressure pump to overcome the manifold pressure created by the turbo. You would probably want a non-return valve or solenoid though so the suction through the intake doesn't pull water through when you don't want it. I would consider a different nozzle to the the windscreen washer spray though. The ones used in the turbo kits aren't expensive and will atomise much better...you would just need to check what the minimum pressure required for atomisation is though and whether your chosen pump can deliver that. I guess you could also look at some irrigation supplies places to see what kind of misting sprays they offer. The ones in the supermarket that spray the lettuce periodically could be worth a look?
              3DB

Comment

Working...
              X