Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are more stickies an answer for Newbies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are more stickies an answer for Newbies?

Hi,

"I've heard about using Canola oil, where do I start"
    "What sort of engine do I need"
    "What is a home filtering system"

Don't we groan when we see postings like this? I do and at times patience wears thin. "It's just so easy to find this stuff out, just use the search function" we say or think.

But is it that easy?
    There are a lot of threads that have poor titles and drift way off topic.
    I'm thinking greater use of stickies might help alleviate some of the pain for the regulars and actually be useful for the lazy and bewildered.

Of course, there is a certain pleasure one gets from actually learning something new after having working hard for it, so should we be denying the lazy and bewildered the joy of this experience by making it easy for them?

I hang out only on the WVO forum and some of the useful stickies might be vehicle specific issues - Mercedes, Landcruiser, Nissan etc
    Other might relate to different parts of the process - Heating the oil, home filtering systems, purging options, equipment options and things that work and don't work for example.

The sticky could be one well informed article approved by the moderators or maybe even having a vote, is there a voting function in the forum??, of forum users to say 'Yes, we agree this is a fair and factual description".

Or the sticky could be a page of links to pertinent and sensible threads. Now and again the sticky moderator would add a new pertinent and sensible thread to the sticky, which over time would build into the 'bible' for that issue.

Does any of this appeal as a good idea that is feasible?

Tim
    Toyota Landcruiser 1988 HJ61 Manual Wagon
    12H-T turbo Direct Injection.
    Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80°C output, 12mm fuel lines
    Start up and shut down electric fuel pump feeds IP direct.
    Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.

Re: Are more stickies an answer for Newbies?

I'm glad you suggested this tim as the noobs have been coming in droves of late and i completely understand the patience wearing thin

I think a few more stickys would be good. and perhaps a must read 1st protocols page when a person joins?
    Cheers
    Nick.
    Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW
    sigpic

Comment

I agree with David (although I barely understood what he said with the spelling, Its been near perfect before so how about trying a little harder or trying less harder to mispell).

The search feature is good but returns EVERYTHING, making it impossible to wade through all of the results before finding the relevent stuff.

There are great chev diesel forums with almost everything a newbie could want in one or two threads. The moderator dont put up with questions that have been rehashed and EXPECT a base line level of knowledge before they will start answering questions. However EVERTHING is provided.

Sounds like they have too much time on their hands.
      Joe Morgan
      Brisbane Biodiesel Site Admin
      http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com

Searching tips using Google - SVO Dual tank systems
      SVO, Common Rail and Direct Injection - Vehicles converted to Used Cooking Oil

Comment

One thing that may be useful is a couple of stickies.

One say for WVO could be a writeup giving an overview of what is required to run WVO, and a brief overview of processes in filtering the oil.

Then one for biodiesel. Same thing, brief explanation of exactly WHAT bio diesel is, then an introduction on how it is made. Maybe a link to the Dr. Pepper method, and links to other useful stuff like the Collaborative Bio Tutoral site.

That could all be put in a section called NEWBIES START HERE, or just a NEWBIE section. That way they might get a start in the right direction before posting away without a clue what they want or how the will do it.

Comment

This has actually all been discussed before, but amounted to nothing.

It'll come down to some one or a group who puts the time in to organise a TOUR of sorts, and we then point them to the page where it all begins.

Check out the stickies and info at this forum;

6.5L Diesel Engine - Diesel Place

The effort put in by these mods is nothing short of amazing.

This one in particular is a sticky for newbies

Welcome New Forum Members “read This First” For Info On How To Best Use This Forum…. - Diesel Place

And this one is a reference/glossary page;

GM 6.5 Reference Material & FAQ Section - Diesel Place

If we're serious about it, this is the way to go.

Best yet all of he resources are already here, we need only collate and format it.
          Joe Morgan
          Brisbane Biodiesel Site Admin
          http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com

Searching tips using Google - SVO Dual tank systems
          SVO, Common Rail and Direct Injection - Vehicles converted to Used Cooking Oil

Comment

Originally posted by joe View Post
            This has actually all been discussed before, but amounted to nothing.
            Sheesh, don't you just hate people who rehash old topics......
            Joe, sorry if this has been tossed around before, I did look in this forum, obviously not well enough.

I'm willing to put some time into the WVO section, and was going to build my own website that I could direct newbies to. This would contain all my own experiences, but figured it would best keeping it all in the forum.

I like the idea of a Newbies read this first sticky/section as you've suggested from the 6.5L Diesel Engine - Diesel Place forum which I'll check out soon, and then the moderators closing threads where people obviously haven't done any of their own work.

If this is what others feel is a good way to go, I can put time into it - but only for the WVO section. I'm soon trekking to the Pilbara towing a canola fuel trailer for the 4500kms trip, so won't produce much for a month.

Tim
            Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80°C output, 12mm fuel lines
            Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.

Comment

Tim,
              I support your commitment to producing the sticky.
              Perhaps you can prepare it offline using a word processor, adding the links to the document from the forum as you go. This will avoid the possibility of posters disrupting your work while it is a work in progress.
              I look forward to reading your post.

Regards,
              Tony
              Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
              '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
              '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
              '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
              '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
              '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
              '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
              '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
              '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
              '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
              '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
              '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
              '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
              Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Agreed. The forum needs better organisation. It does not just need stickies, but FAQs and possibly a new front end to help people navigate to such things easier. Tim - I'll support whatever efforts you want to make in this direction and anyone else who wants to help you. If you can make the content, I'll help by finding a place to hang it.
                Robert.
                Site Admin.

Comment

Would this be a start? feel free to "quote" and make changes (perhaps in a different colour) and move to a sticky. Its a bit SVO centric (as thats what I know).

How to run a car on veggie oil
                  The problem is the modern diesel engine is designed to run on “diesel” fuel, not veggie oil, veggie oil being thicker than diesel. (The inventor had meant them to run on veggie oil, but that’s another story) After 100 years of fine tuning, the modern diesel is fine tuned for this thin liquid, not veggie oil. Of course its possible to change the modern diesel to run on veggie oil, but we need to overcome the thickness issue.

There is a number of ways to do this. They all will work, the question is for how long.

Just pour the oil in the tank. (and hope it starts cold, and lasts)
                  Make the veggie oil thinner by making it into biodiesel. (well proven)
                  Thin the veggie oil out with diesel/ kerosene/ unleaded. (also makes it thinner)
                  Get the oil hot before it goes in the car (as it gets hotter it becomes thinner, well proven)
                  Change the cars injectors/ glow plugs to get it to spray veggie oil from cold. (expensive, not many on the forum have done this)

Each has advantages and disadvantages. Biodiesel needs chemicals, but not to modify the car, straight veggie oil needs to oil to be filtered and the car modified, but no chemicals, changing the cars injectors is highly expensive, and if you don’t know the potential dangers of putting unleaded into a diesel car, taking on a second job and paying for fossil fuel is probably you best bet.

Some posts also reveal how well they work. Phrases like “I have been making biodiesel for 5 years now……” “I have been driving the car I converted to SVO in 2004…..” or I have been putting straight oil in my unmodified car for 3 weeks now and…..” You get the picture.

For any of these, you will need veggie oil. You can get it second hand from places that deep fry food (pubs, clubs, fish and chip shops, motels, cafes) You can buy it new (try an oil pressing company, not a supermarket) or you can grow your own. (if you don’t know the difference between a broad acre farm and a dairy farm, it may not be for you)
                  Getting oil is a good place to start, but if you commit to taking oil, don’t stop without consulting your shop, or you will make it hard for the next guy. "sharing" the oil collection is a good place to start, it leaves the shop with the option of retuning to the other collector if needed)

To make biodiesel the best place to start is a “dr pepper” method. Read the safety stuff, search how to do the Dr pepper method, re read the safety stuff, get the chemicals and the safety gear, and have a go.

To run on veggie oil you need one of a few things.
                  The most proven method is to get an old Mercedes (with an inline pump and indirect injection) put another fuel system in it (one for diesel, one for cold filtered liquid veggie oil), put a fuel heater in it (a flat plate heater is good) start it on diesel and then flick the switch to veggie oil when the engine is hot, run on veggie oil and 5ks before the end of the trip change back to diesel so the next start is on diesel. Of course it has some hassles (if you live 5ks from work example its not going to save anything)

Of course then things range to the less proven/ more problematic such as rotary injection pumps, direct injection, common rail systems, quicker changeover times, just pour it into the original fuel tank and go.

Common parts used are a Pollack fuel change over valve, a flat plate heat exchanger, outboard motor fuel tanks and automotive hoses.

Often people post their conversions on here, so do a search and see what others have done.
                  cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

All,

Thanks Chris for your draft, but I've started afresh. It's just too hard to build a document collaboratively online - or maybe I'm a control freak

I did up the attached pdf last night. (Sorry, start the pdf at page 4 and work towards 1) It needs a lot more fleshing out and refining, but is this the sort of info you feel is useful and is it presented in a useful style?

My idea is that this document would be added to from time to time, refined as we go along.

I am assuming that this will go as a sticky at the top of the WVO section of the forum.
                    I am assuming that once the sticky is made, that is still can be edited either by the author or administrators.
                    I am assuming that when pasted into the forum that all the links will resolve.

If you notice I have missed anything out, which I know I have, please just write dot pointers for the topic, don't spend time writing long screeds. Just let me know which sections need fleshing out, or reducing, and what other detail needs to go in; I'll do the wordsmithing.

Thanks

Tim
                    Tim-HJ61
                    Donating Member
                    Last edited by Tim-HJ61; 24 July 2008, 11:24 AM. Reason: Realised PDF is back to front - oops

Comment

Haven't had time to read yet and off tomorrow for 2 weeks, but should have some time while away??
                      However in view of the probable imminent demise of the bio fuels forums it may be a futile exercise.
                      I will post elsewhere about the possible future for SVO discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim-HJ61 View Post
                        Hi,

"I've heard about using Canola oil, where do I start"
                        "What sort of engine do I need"

Gee Tim, I really thought you knew some of this stuff. ;-)

Comments coming via email and thanks for your efforts.

B
                        Toyota Landcruiser 80 Series 1990 VX Ltd - 12HT powered- diesel for run-in period (no longer 1HDT).
                        190L vege oil LR tank and 90L diesel, Vormax, 30 plate FPHE, two automated 3-way ball valves with delay to prevent mixing on purge.

Comment

New,
                          Easy to navigate, easy to search, Loads of information. Don't change a thing. Im no computer wizz, but worked it out. Thankyou.

Comment

Only bit I would question is if it is necessary to paint mild steel tanks, as mine seems to be fine. (Recommended perhaps, but not a must do)

Apart from that excellent though.
                            cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Would it be useful to build an article in Wikipedia on Biofuels for Noobs? Then in this forum a sticky with a link to the Wiki article can refer the Noobs to the basic 'how-to' info.

I suppose I'm thinking along these lines because it's possible that Robert will shut down this site (see THIS THREAD).

My vague understanding of Wikipedia is that Robert (or anyone else) wouldn't be burdened with costs of hosting the info. if it were on Wiki.

What do you think?

Comment

Working...
                              X