Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Bigger Picture - Australian Biofuel Users Group

Originally posted by Dodge
    Media watch has reported over the last 12 months journalist portraying adverts as news and current affairs and if i notice this technique being used i immediately associate that product as being deceitful,...Every action we take must be strictly honest.
    Biodiesel should be promoted for what it is, what it can do, what it is not, and what it can not do.
    I wasn't advocating embellishing, lying, or promising a miracle cure. I totally agree that we ought to be upstanding and honest about biodiesel. But as Cameron mentioned, journalists often are run to very tight deadlines, so by making their job slightly easier, we're more likely to have our voice heard.

I can imagine the sorts of horrific perversions some of the current affairs programs run off as "news", and I don't want to go down that road.

All I'm suggesting is making sure we are prompt on giving out (honest) press releases on current issues, which are well structured and similar to newspaper copy, and to ensure there is a contact for the papers in case they want more info or a direct quote.

Robert, I'm certainly interested in helping. Sounds like there would be better copy writers than me here, and I'm no good at public speaking, but I am developing my skills in proofreading and editing, so if you can use me in this area, I'd love to be involved! I could also work with a group on developing a strategy.
    Amber
    Last edited by Amber; 17 July 2006, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Yes that makes sense now, if there was several articles the reporters could use to suit different themes they want to pursue about biofuels.

Comment

Hi Dodge
        Got your pm, Promise I will do my very best.
        By the way this is getting interesting now
        The forum seems to be gathering momentum which is good to see.
        We do need to be more obvious as well as encompassing all things renewable in so far as fuels are concerned
        By that I mean SVO, WVO, Ethanol, Biomethanol, as well as Biodiesel produced from all kinds of oils and fats
        I am not sure that we have at this stage sufficient interest here for other forms of sustainable living, although, there is no doubt that most of us here have an interest in a cleaner environment through the use of non polluting renewable fuels
        So let's get a name, a constitution as well as some kind of a charter, and let's go out there with a single voice.
        Only then we will be taken as a responsible group through the eyes of the wider public as well as the pollie's
        We should present our group as being serious about renewable resources for the wider public benefit and interest
        That is easily demonstrated by all the benefits through the use of renewable resources of fuel
        Cheers
        Chris
        Cheers
        Chris
        Never give up :)

Comment

OK, so we can agree that we need to be bigger than biodiesel and SVO (what we are all mostly interested in here). Tony has made this point to me before, that it should cover all renewable fuels. Although my personal opinions on ethanol (that environmentally, it is not really very much better than petrol) have thus far excluded this forum from any real discussion on this, we should make more of an effort to discuss/learn/meet with more ethanol folk (and all renewable fuels in general).
          Anyway, I guess this should all be encompassed in a mission statement/charter/constitution or something of the sort that can clearly define what we are about and why. Tony has already sent me (some time ago) a copy of his WARFA constitution, which I can dig up and post here for review if he approves me to do so. It may be easier to plagiarise an existing document rather than write one from scratch. It's a shame that we did not already all have our **** together a few months ago to be in time for the recent political events concerning biofuels, maybe we might have at least tried to make a difference then...
          So, I appreciate everyone's offers of help so far. I don't want to run this thing, but I'll certainly help to facilitate where I have the skills/ability to do so. I think we can safely say that those that have thus far posted on this thread will be in some way connected to the running of this group in the near future. Once we get ourselves sorted on:
          • A name
          • A mission statement/objective
          • A structure

I can then at least start us up a temporary website (perhaps just under www.biofuelusers.com until we can decide on a more appropriate domain name). Once this is done, any active members can get email addresses at this site to use for official business (like media communication or govt submissions etc). This will at least immediately lend us a little bit of cred if we have a presence in this way. Then we will need to get registered as a non-profit organisation, which I believe is just a matter of submitting forms once we've got our organisational structure sorted. I would intend the website to have information about who we are, what we stand for and why and also be quite publicly transparent clear about our use of any membership monies and the like (there are some organisations that many of us know who've copped a lot of flack for taking money and spending it on themselves -I would never want to be accused of that).

Just one last point - I think we need to be clear that we are a users group as opposed to an industry representative group. I guess you could also call it a consumers group, or a "consumer advocacy group"? I think this is important as there are already organisations out there that have industry membership, but ignore interested folk such as ourselves who just want to use the fuel and to see others access it and use it too. Do you all agree on this last point?
          Robert.
          Site Admin.

Comment

Robert,
            I have sent a copy oif the Constitution to Chris. While I have no problems with the WARFA constitution being available for discussion and comparison, Chris' conrtact who may be able to draw up a constitution 'Pro Bono' may prove to be a better document than one amended from our one.

We do need to:
            • Have a meeting to form the Association - I am not sure that this forum is acceptable to Government bodies as a 'Meeting'.
            • Elect office bearers.
            • Choose our objects - the reasons for the group existing, our 'purpose'.
            • Choose our name - something which is easy to say, has a non-offensive or humourous acronym, and which rolls off the tongue easily and also will be recognisable describing our purpose and/or membership.
            • Decide on the definition of biofuels (or renewable fuels?).
            • Have a constitution written (in whatever form is required by the Government body), to support the Objects.
            • Have a meeting to vote to accept the Constitution.
            • Incorporate the Association, to protect the members and office bearers personal assets in case of being sued. Providing the office bearers have not acted against the law, anyone suing the Association can only sue for the Association assets. Unincorprated group members and office bearers can be individually and severally liable - personally. Not Nice

I am sure that WARFA will be able to provide some financial support for the formation of a National Body, espeically if it supports the Objects (or at least some of them) of WARFA.

Here are the main Objects of the WARFA. There are other objects in relation to holding property, employing staff, etc.
            1. To promote and support the use of renewable fuels.
            2. To work with industry groups to promote and facilitate use of renewable fuels.
            3. To provide support, information and advice for producers of renewable fuels.
            4. To research all aspects of renewable fuels.
            5. To apply for funding or grants for research into all aspects of renewable fuels.
            6. To cooperatively disseminate information about all aspects of renewable fuels.
            7. To educate the Australian public about all relevant aspects of renewable fuels.
            8. To provide Government and non-government bodies with information and advice promoting the use of renewable fuels.
            9. To lobby the Government in the interests of developing a viable and sustainable renewable fuel industry
            10. To lobby the Government for the exemption of renewable fuels from any excise or additional taxation.
            11. To monitor and comment on Government policies relating to all types of fuels.
            12. To promote Australian fuel self-sufficiency, based on renewable fuel sources.

WARFA has also included a "Definition" of 'Fuels' and one of 'Renewable Fuels' also
            1. "Fuel" shall mean:
              1. Fuels for heating,
              2. Fuels for transport (personal public or goods transport),
              3. Fuels for other uses.
            2. “Renewable Fuel” shall be defined as:-
              1. Fuels derived from renewable resources;
              2. Fuels having significant renewable resource derived component(s),
              3. Fuels made possible by new technology, incorporating renewable resource derived components.

The list of renewable fuels is not provided, as there could be fuels which are renewable, which could be omitted. Perhaps tightening of the criteria for 'Renewable' may be worth while. Basically, at present, methane, from landfill gas or from a digester, biomass (including firewood), vegetable and animal oils and fats,crops, crop residues, ethanol and methanol (not made from Nat Gas), biodiesel, etc could all be considered Renewable.
            Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
            '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
            '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
            '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
            '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
            '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
            '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
            '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
            '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
            '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
            '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
            '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
            '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
            Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Hi All
              Just did a quick search
              The name Renewable Fuels Australia, or Association
              ( short form ) RFA.com.au seems to be available
              Any Thoughts????
              Cheers
              Chris
              Cheers
              Chris

Comment

I wouldn't want us to be confused with existing groups of that name:

Renewable Fuels Australia
                Also Australian Renewable Fuels Ltd

This was what I meant by being a group that differentiated ourselves as being a users or consumers group, not an industry group, as there are already industry groups out there. Sure, some of these industry groups do more than others and some at times can seem like they do nothing at all, but they all claim to represent industry. Why would we be any different unless we were consumers? What does everyone else think of this idea?
                Robert.
                Site Admin.

Comment

I would not like to see us using a name so closely aligned to those groups. As discussed before, a consumer organisation is what is proposed. The name should reflect that member base.

I am not suggesting names, per se., but "user" or "consumer" or "supporter" (or plurals of any of them) would seem to be indicated.
                  Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                  '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                  '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                  '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                  '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                  '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                  '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                  '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                  '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                  '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                  '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                  '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                  '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                  Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

OK, I've just gone out on a limb and registered the names:

www.biofuelcommunity.com
                    www.renewablefuelusers.com

I already also have

www.biofuelusers.com

I thought I'd better just grab the names now as all the good ones seem to already be taken and I would not be at all surprised if any names that we deliberated over in this forum for a while would be registered by others by the time that we decided on them.

Whatever name we decide on does not have to match the name exactly (though it could later do so). All these names can simply be redirected to the one place if need be (as biofuelusers is currently directed to here). A .au registration is a lot more expensive, and considering that I'm taking this out of my own pocket, I'm not prepared to go for one until we have a proper group together that has the funds to do so.

I'm quite undecided about all the names. Biofuelusers is the smallest/easiest of them, but the community has more warm fuzzies about it. Renewablefuelusers covers a wider variety of fuels than just bio, but is more of a mouthful. What do you reckon?
                    Robert.
                    Site Admin.

Comment

I like the name "ETHOS". Is says it all about what we envisage. If nobody else uses the name in respect of biofuels beforehand (Use recommended) I will call Melbourne's first ever purely biofuels servo, by that name.
                      Cheers Darren,,
                      Chris we need to talk in person re my meeting with Darebin city council's fleet administrator.

Comment

Great name for the Station Darren, so I'll not suggest we steal it...

After thinking about this for a few days, I'm thinking we should call ourselves "Australian Biofuel Users" (ABU). If we added "Group" it would be a little redundant and make the acronyms a little sillier, even sillier would be Biofuel Users Group of Australia, so we won't go there. I know that this leaves non-biofuels out of the picture, but I can't think of anything that has a better "ring" to it. Anyone else have any ideas?

I think (and agree with Tony) that we should be stressing the users/consumers/community side of things rather than being an industry group. It may well be that some of our members are also involved in industry, but that will not be the focus of the group. I like the idea of "users" as it is shorter than the other words and captures it all well enough. What do you reckon?

I'm eager to get a site up and going, decide on members, have a meeting and incorporate ourselves.
                        Robert.
                        Site Admin.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert
                          Great name for the Station Darren, so I'll not suggest we steal it...

I think (and agree with Tony) that we should be stressing the users/consumers/community side of things rather than being an industry group. It may well be that some of our members are also involved in industry, but that will not be the focus of the group. I like the idea of "users" as it is shorter than the other words and captures it all well enough. What do you reckon?

I'm eager to get a site up and going, decide on members, have a meeting and incorporate ourselves.
                          Dear All,
                          I agree with Robert that "Users" is am important idea to capture. For the most part, our opinions are more valid that others, because of this fact, We Are Using Biodiesel, not producing or selling.

However, I disagree that ABUG is silly, I think (and I include myself, even though I am marketing the product) we can take ourselves too seriously, and a serious group that can laugh at itself is a testimony to its real strenght. At the same time, I appreciate that, on first exposure, it could seem silly, but I expect that the Users Group will be more a bit of a Bug to government & industry. Names are important, but it is the character of the group that is of signifcance, not the name.
                          G'day - Morris
                          Morris Lyda
                          [URL=http://www.thebiodieselstation.com]
                          The Biodiesel Station

Comment

OK, next move I propose is to organise a "meeting" for us all (well, those of us who want to be key members in this group). Due to the fact that many of us are in different states, obviously a phone conference would be the only real option. Due the fact that I am a bit of a nerd, I'd suggest going one step more high-tech and doing the conference via Skype, as it is cheaper. If one of us has a fast PC/connection (like me ) then they could host up to 10 participants. Perhaps we need to limit the number to about 5 or 6 participants anyway, as more than that can be hard to manage.
                            So, who is up for a conference on this? I think myself (Syd Bio), Morris, Tony(WARFA), Chris, Darren(Melb Bio), Joe(Bris Bio), Cameron, Amber, Nature Fuels might be a start (oops, that's nearly 9). Please post or private message me if you want to be involved in this start up conference. Once we've got the people, we can set a time/date.
                            Robert.
                            Site Admin.

Comment

Hi Rob,
                              Yes please - count me in.

If Sydney based people would like I may be able to swing a conference room with phone link up facilities at the Uni? Then a bunch of us could actually sit in the same room.

A lot of my interest at the moment is fuelled (excuse the pun) by our (the Uni) desire to start moving sections of the UNSW fleet over to biodiesel and the problems that we (ie everyone!) are all finding re supply, certainty, warranties etc are the same ones that I am bumping into in my attempts to cross 't's and dot 'i's for the Uni on this issue.

For example I will be working with the Quality Manager next week to try to get some tender specs etc together so that we can continue to move forward. Big organisations can be 'users' too and big organisations motivated to do something constructive for the broader community can add a lot when they think to do it.

Let me know.

Cheers,
                              Cameron

Comment

Hi all
                                I am in No doubt so is Darren
                                I am not so sure about Skype though, is it a mammal, a fish or some kind of plant? Would some one turn it on? need to set it up
                                Cheers
                                </IMG>
                                Chris
                                Cheers
                                Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X