The Bigger Picture - Australian Biofuel Users Group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Bigger Picture - Australian Biofuel Users Group

OK, so we not all quite as technological as me . Skype is a free and easy way to make phone calls (and text chats) on the internet (see the little "s" icon in the top right of my posts? If you had skype installed, you could use those details to "phone" me through skype.) Anyway, don't worry about this, as it may be easier to simply do it POTS (Plain Old Telephone System).
    Cameron, your idea of a conference at the Uni might be a good one, that would at least get 3 or 4 of us from Sydney together in a room, we'd then just need to make sure that from that room, the uni's phone system can bridge together up to 3 or 4 more lines out (if not, I may have some technology via my work that can do this).
    Cameron, can you please confirm that this is possible? Let's nominate a time, say a week from now that we can all make. Set aside an hour and make sure that we can all be available, I guess initially, the timing of this may revolve around Cameron's booking of the conference room.
    Chris, perhaps you and Darren could get together at the one spot as well when it comes time to connect up?
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Comment

I would love to connect on Skype from here in India.I am in Delhi now and have The Fat Band oops the broad band.
      We could even have webinars and links to it for wareness campaign stuff.
      Use technolgy that is free.It's a free world after all.
      And the whole idea behind the tech revolution is to use it to improve our quality of life ...wasn't that the morale that sparked of the Induistrial Revolution.
      It's much later that we became slaves to it.
      So back to the future ....

Cheers
      Sauman

Comment

Geez.. I wish I still lived in Randwick

About what time would this conference call take place? Nights from 8pm onward are pretty good for me - otherwise I'm working, travelling, or feeding my rowdy dogs.

Also, just spotted this article in SMH:
        http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...166591393.html

This is the sort of thing I'd be looking for to respond to with press releases. Looks like the guy who writes these sorts of articles for SMH is Matt Wade, so a media strategy would include speaking (read: ingratiating yourself? ) with him. Anyway, just jotting my thoughts down for future reference.

Comment

Thanks for sharing amber. Yes will act as future reference's.
          Reverse Physcology is probably the greatest tool in media Biz.

I spoke to Robert through Skye from Delhi.Could be very useful tool for everyone in here.Not only for BD but heaps of personal stuff.
          So I request fraternity to seriously look at instaling Skype. It is just another tool that can make life easier for everyone.POT(Plain old telephone) is again arcade.
          Folks we are cutting edge aren't we?So yes you will find it really handy for a lot of stuff....and it's free.
          Best things in life are for free.

Cheers
          Sauman

Comment

I'd love to be able to afford the bandwith necessary for Skype. Unfortunately, at home I'm still on dialup and at work it's best not to use work resources too much...

Just another article that might hold some interesting material to respond to re: press releases

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...593272736.html
            Amber
            Last edited by Amber; 25 July 2006, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron
              What about:

Biofuels Australia

Cheers,
              Cameron
              I Like this one because it can also cover the ethanol issue. Many of my friends are way impressed with my achievements and want to get in on it, but dont or cant afford, to part with there petrol engines, and so with my influence are always looking for E10, and also pissed off Brazilians can drive holdens on E85, while we have to drive in circles trying to find E10.

Comment

Woops - evening time - forgot about that Amber!

OK so conference rooms are going to be harder to organise though not impossible. I was forgetting myself and was thinking working hours! Still an option but let's have a look at our other evening options too ...

What part of Sydney are you living in Amber? (You can pm me if you prefer ...) I know where Robert lives and of course where I live so it still worth considering heading over to Robert's place to skype as I don't have it at my place although I do have fast internet.

Who else from Sydney was going to be involved at this stage? Maybe we can work out a central location? ie central to the people not to the city ...

Comment

I have an office in the city (Sydney) that can be used in the evenings. I'd be happy to offer this an option. Evenings will possibly suit most people more as work can block out most people's days. I could take probably about 5 or 6 people in there after say 7:30pm.
                  Otherwise I'd be happy to have people around to my house, but they'd have to compete with screaming kids at dinner/bed time
                  Robert
                  Administrator
                  Last edited by Robert; 25 July 2006, 04:21 PM.
                  Robert.
                  Site Admin.

Comment

Originally posted by Amber
                    I'd love to be able to afford the bandwith necessary for Skype. Unfortunately, at home I'm still on dialup and at work it's best not to use work resources too much...

Just another article that might hold some interesting material to respond to re: press releases

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...593272736.html
                    Good one Amber,
                    Won't be a bad idea to get a libary started on line???But then as Robert says we have get the whole thing registered and some sort of membership fees etc.

If you guys are Skyping let me know.It's 8.56am in the morning here and 1.27 pm there.
                    Cheers
                    Sauman

Comment

I'm in southern Sydney, in the St George region. Speaking to you guys over the phone is probably best for me - it'd be difficult for me to get home, feed my dogs, then arrive in the city before about 9pm. Also, I just can't do that to my dogs after being at work all day.

Still, if the rest of you are able to conference in working hours, don't try to fit yourselves around me. It's far more important that you get the organisation and objectives set up first. I can work on a media strategy once the objectives have been sorted out.

One thing I thought of last night was maybe trying to get a stall at one of those (highly commercial) car expo things - just as a user's group - and try to spread the word about biodiesel.

Comment

Hi Robert,
                        OK count me in for the office in the evening option. Probably pretty convenient for Morris too and we could grab a bite to eat before or afterwards.

Comment

Folks,
                          I may well be the most likely to miss the conversation or cause it to be a late night, as I have a 2 hour time difference to most of you. I generally leave work at 4:30 pm each day and take 3/4 hour to get home, so the earliest I could connect to Skype would be 5:15pm (I talk to my wife when I get home, but she will understand if I have a call to make).

If I can have 24 hours notice, I may be able to leave work early, to be ready by 4:00 pm WST. Due to the nature of my work, I canot guarantee that I can achieve this, but I can try.

I look forward to heating from you.

Tony
                          Tony From West Oz
                          Vice Chairperson of WARFA
                          Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 27 July 2006, 10:23 PM.
                          Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                          '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                          '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                          '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                          '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                          '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                          '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                          '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                          '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                          '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                          '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                          '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                          '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                          Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Thanks Tony - we won't forget you and we'll give plenty of notice. At the moment I'm a little snowed under at work and the only time I have is to type while I should be sleeping to still keep my commitment in here .
                            Hopefully in about 2 weeks, I'll have cleared some of my work, tried to get back in the good books with my wife for having ignored my family recently and then get stuck back into this stuff. We'll probably just use the plain ol' telephone this time around and we'll try to limit the number of participants, just keep it simple to start with.
                            We still have to get an agenda and have an idea of what we will meet about before we do it. I'd still like to get familiar with what registering a non-profit org in Oz actually entails.
                            Robert.
                            Site Admin.

Comment

Originally posted by Dodge
                              would this group to be formed also include SVO users.
                              I think the SVO aspect is a bit niche and a bit out there for mainstream. It may harm the cause to link the two. I use SVO but when I talk about it, it conjures images of dimsims and chip floating around in the fuel tank.

Biodiesel is a clean, standardised fuel with a national and international spec. SVO isn't if I'm not mistaken. And if you dotn want anything to harm the biodiesel image, then lumping them together may be a serious mistake.

Joe
                              Joe Morgan
                              Brisbane Biodiesel Site Admin
                              http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com

Searching tips using Google - SVO Dual tank systems
                              SVO, Common Rail and Direct Injection - Vehicles converted to Used Cooking Oil

Comment

Had a chat with Morris last night and he rightly pointed out that nothing will ever happen unless we set a date to aim for and then we can start organising towards that. We decided to go for smack bang in the middle of next month, which should give us time to sort out an agenda and educate ourselves as to the issues we need to consider.
                                So, we've decided that Wednesday 13th of September at 7:30pm will be time that we'll aim for. If anyone can't make this and would really like to, we can change it a little, but say something now, as we won't change it too close to the event. I'm happy to host the meeting in my office in the city and we can phone/maybe skype a few people in as well to participate who can't make it to Sydney.
                                Robert.
                                Site Admin.

Comment

Working...
                                X