• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Biodiesel Process Mixers

Mee Too!
    I would be interested to find out about this processor

Comment

Ah yes, the joys of inventing a 'great idea' and bringing it to market. I have had six weeks of "next week the mould will be finished". At least the mould has now been finished and is presently being fitted with the threaded bits.

I was supposed to get the first processor out of the mould this week. It is now thursday, so I'm not getting my hopes up. There is still lots of other work to do; after the proper thickness of the processor is determined, then I have to put on the level lines and have them scribed into the mould.

When I have something I think will be reliable (like as in a claw hammer) and is ready to use, I am going to get about 10 shops to try it and see what other issues may be lurking in the device. I'd rather have 10 customers to deal with than 100.

Everyone should try inventing something and bringing it to market just once in their lives - it will give you a whole new perspective on free enterprise.

I've had some private correspondence on this processor - here's the latest

"Cool, keep up the good work, i expect it may end up costing a little more. that is no problem for me. do it right the first time is say."

Since I am trying to manufacture this thing in Australia and keep the money in Oz rather than have a Chinese firm make it, then yes it will cost a bit more. However, I anticipate selling it initally as a KIT. I intend to price the kit so that the amount of formula that goes with the kit will produce enough biodiesel so that it pays for itself. In other words, if I sell the kit for $150, it will produce perhaps $200 worth of biodiesel (using the petrol diesel price at the time of sale).
      Terry Syd
      Last edited by Terry Syd; 27 July 2006, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Here are some more plans

http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/appleseedprocessor/

Comment

Marc, please review three posts back in this thread to read a post of mine dated the 3rd of March.

Comment

Yes I saw that, but I like mine better because it has nicer pictures.

Comment

If you keep this up, I may eventually have to report you to the Internet Police for a violation of Code 17 of the Internet Forum Guidelines - "Failure to read prior posts"

Comment

Hi, this is the Internet Police here, unfortunately, we have no jurisdiction here and find ourselves hopelessly understaffed and run off our feet just answering all the questions we get direct from the public on the "contact us" forms. Sorry, but unless anyone is directly threatening you (under code 3.14159 subsection 1.6) we will be unable to prosecute.
                Robert.
                Site Admin.

Comment

[quote=Terry Syd]Ah yes, the joys of inventing a 'great idea' and bringing it to market.

I once set up a Stall in Nimbin Market.
                  Selling free food ...it was called "Cool Chilly"......food ran out in the first 2 hours.People came back for more.We said finito guys.But then it's free how can it finish.Whingers!!!

Yes Terry the joys and pains of inventingssss .

Cheers
                  Sauman

I am at the moment working on the concept of Rammed earth Portable Barberque running fired by Bio etahnol/Bio Mass/Bio Diesel ....for every backyard in the great southern land.Till it is perfected....you will have to follow the conventional filling up in the station.By the ways whats the cost of a 10kg Bottle these days???.Will also help me calculate emission reduction,cost analysis ratio...blah blah blah...just to baffle Johny Boy.

Comment

Sauman, At this point I would welcome the 'dealing with the public' issues - I'm still trying to get to the production stage. Yesterday I called to see if the first unit was out of the mould - "oh, Mr. X is in Perth, he'll be back on Monday".

This country is going to 'she be right Mate' itself right down the gurgler.

I can understand why people do business with China. Not only is it cheaper, but faster and usually of better quality. If I finally spit the dummy and have it built in China, you can bet I would get negative feedback from whingers about sending jobs overseas.
                    Terry Syd
                    Last edited by Terry Syd; 29 July 2006, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Terry, sorry I only read your post to me today, thanks. I bought Reg's processing system, it could do 400lt a time when set up properly. Currently I'm reorganising it so it will be sealed and virtually automatic. I'm incorporating a 20lt reflux still to recover the methanol and will be making my own ethanol once I work it all out. I have access to lots of windfall fruit each year, so will have a good stock. It will mean the horses won't get as big a yearly treat as they do. I look forward to seeing yours finished and how it goes.

I agree with you about inventing.

Comment

Alga, glad to hear you're up and running. Now about that ethanol, I know it seems like a good idea to you, but the ethanol reaction is very difficult to achieve. You are not only going to have to distill the alcohol, but to dry it so that it is 100% pure. Even then, you are going to run into difficulties with the reaction.

Here is a link to using cornmeal to try and dry out the ethanol.
                        http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_...nol_grits.html

You can use things like molecular sieves, but the cornmeal not only sounds cheap, but the horses will probably be glad to take the used meal off your hands.

I do suggest you get some commercial 100% ethanol and give the reaction a try. Start out with the Dr. Pepper method and see if you can get it to work for you. This will give you an idea of what you are up against.

Here is an alternative way to make ethanol based biodiesel. Since the stuff doesn't like to settle out the glycerin, you take advantage of that fact and use EVERYTHING (glycerin too) as the fuel. http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/foru.../555604723/p/1
                        Terry Syd
                        Last edited by Terry Syd; 29 July 2006, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Syd
                          Sauman,

This country is going to 'she be right Mate' itself right down the gurgler.

I can understand why people do business with China. Not only is it cheaper, but faster and usually of better quality. If I finally spit the dummy and have it built in China, you can bet I would get negative feedback from whingers about sending jobs overseas.
                          Terry mate I know what you are saying.Down to the core of my heart.But I am an otimist.We can't let it go down the gurgler.I had posted my views on the Hope Theory.That "she be right mate" is just an extension of the hope theory.We gotta do what we can to stop this.And we can only do it together.
                          For if it was for me.I give two hoots about where and how I wake up tomorrow.If at all.But our kids,our future,they are our future.I don't want them to point fingers at us.That we let it take the slide.We did not do our part of our job.
                          I know it is HOT DAMN frustrating.But I found perseverance and never give up finally works.But the energy wastage....yeah I know....its like banging against a brick wall.

But then small steps to the stairway.Thats leads us to a better world for our tomorrow.

Just push 'em hard.They eventually get it.
                          Have a good weekend.
                          Cheers

Sauman

Comment

Sauman, I can understand how a businessman would just say "bugger you guys, I'm going to look after myself" and take his business overseas. When I first got to Oz in the '80's I was fixing computers in lots of various businesses. As I began talking to all these people I came to the realisation of how much manufacturing was going overseas and instead people were starting up importing businesses.

It was shocking. How could a country that used to manufacture virtually everything (clothing, shoes, automobiles, aircraft, etc.) become so gutted of industry.

I intend to keep everything in the country as much as possible (I've already had to source a plastic cap from Canada, nobody in Oz wants to make it). I figure I can work around the profit margins and everything will still be viable, it's just frustrating at times. The endless waste of time is what irritates me the most.

Comment

If you are that keen that you want to make your own ethanol, why dont you make methanol in stead.

http://www.wiley.com/legacy/college/boyer/0470003790/cutting_edge/methanol/methanol.htm

Comment

Make it all in oz.Thats the way ahead....thanks for sharing the thread on methanol.
                                Cheers
                                Sauman

Comment

Working...
                                X