06 VW GOLF TDI advice required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 06 VW GOLF TDI advice required

Hi, This is not about the Golf, but one of the cars listed above.
    I live in Sweden, and I am hoping to finish my convert. of a Fiat Ducato 2,5D 1995 model this coming week.

And your'e right, in Europe we use a lot of veggie oil, new or used, and I will clean my oil with a centrifuge instead of filter.
    Much more convient and less mess! It removes water as well.

Will post pics here later if u r interested.

go on with your veggie project and use it as long as u can.

Comment

Hello Suzy
      Originally posted by Suzy View Post
      there is good evidence that biodiesel thins out your engine oil
      I have never seen or heard of this evicence. Can you give me a URL to the site that has it.

Comment

VW has no clue on biodiesel

And tilly it thins out your oil and ur filter clogs up thats why you need to change it if you have been running on petro diesel. Duhh

And tilly hasnt been on the biofuels seen for ages he just posts a million things a day. And would be nice to see someone who has been on the scene for ages to have a go at people like VW instead of trying to protect their reputation when inaction is like a disease with no cure.
        liquidgold
        Last edited by liquidgold; 29 May 2007, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lauraj35 View Post
          I have just bought a brand new VW GOLF TDI specifically paying the extra money for the diesel so I could use bio-diesel. The dealer was encouraging, and all preliminary research looked good. Imaging my disapointment when putting fuel in it for the first time and discovering the large sticker on the inside of the fuel door saying "NOT SUITABLE FOR BIODIESEL" , although this is mentioned nowhere else in the VW specs. Enquiries to VW have brough no response.

Does anyone have any insight into why these cars are not suitable for biodiesel, or if there is any way around this?
          Biodiesel fuel is actually easilier on diesel engines than petroleum diesel. Biodiesel is an extremely good solvent; so replacing rubber fuel lines with ones that will not disolve from the biodiesel will solve that problem. Biodiesel will also gel at low tempetures. If you want a good book on the biodiesel please read From the fryer to the fuel tank - by Joshua Tickell.
          Wastepower

Comment

Originally posted by liquidgold View Post
            VW has no clue on biodiesel

And tilly it thins out your oil and ur filter clogs up thats why you need to change it if you have been running on petro diesel. Duhh

And tilly hasnt been on the biofuels seen for ages he just posts a million things a day. And would be nice to see someone who has been on the scene for ages to have a go at people like VW instead of trying to protect their reputation when inaction is like a disease with no cure.

Suzi and liquidgold, there is no "evidence" that biodiesel thins engine oil. If there is, show us where it is.

If BD was getting into the engine oil, think what the effect would be. Would the level of the engine oil rise or fall? Obviously if the BD is getting past the rings without burning it will increase the volume of the oil in the sump.

Simple test - take an engraving tool and clearly mark the dip stick at the level of oil in the engine today. Drive on B100 for 1000 or more ks and then remeasure the oil level. If the level alters in either direction you have an oil ring problem, not a biodiesel problem.

There is unsupported reporting that says quite the opposite in that people say their oil stays cleaner for far longer than with dinojuice.
            Slippery
            Small steps taken one at a time.

Comment

Just two quick questions - does the high flash point of biodiesel have anything to do with fuel dilution and can you avoid fuel dilution by making sure the engine gets up to temperature or going on long drives?

Comment

I'm running my Vauxhall Vectra 2.0Dti on 100% biodiesel in the summer and blending 5-10% normal diesel in the winter to make for easier starting I doubt biodiesel thins engine oil any more quickly than conventional diesel does diesel has always thinned engine oil that's why diesels have shorter service intervals anybody who has had a diesel for a while and services it themselves should know that

Read this link

Diesel Engine Oil

Comment

Originally posted by Slippery View Post
                  If the level alters in either direction you have an oil ring problem, not a biodiesel problem.
                  Garbage!

Every engine will use oil to a greater or lesser degree.

The handbook for my '78 300D ( page 50, Engine Oil consumption) states the maximum oil consumption when the engine is frequently driven at high speed as up to 0.25l per 100km.
                  I believe that works out at 2.5L per 1000km.

Oil consumption could be caused by leaking valve stem seals, leaking gaskets, main seals, worn turbo bearings, weeping cooler pipes or any number of reasons OTHER than an oil ring problem including normal engine operating characteristics.

A rise in oil level could be caused by short trips or faulty thermostas not allowing the engine to properly warm up and driving off condensation which accumulated in the engine or by fuel pumps with leaking diaphragms which allowed fuel to pass into the engine before it even got near the rings.
                  If the leak was small the engine may be consuming oil at the same rate it was leaking and no apparent change in level would be noticed.

To say that a movement in oil level indicates an oil ring problem is a completely wrong and a flawed statement. If a person were to believe this incorrect information and notice a change in their oil level, they would naturally conclude that there was a problem that needed fixing and that problem would constitute major engine repairs when that is simply not necessarily the case at all. It is irresponsible to make statements appearing as hard fact to that effect when such statements are misleading and should be dismissed and disregarded.

Oil level in an engine could normally be expected to drop or remain virtually static. A RISE in oil level is a strong indication of a problem but could be caused by a number of minor and major issues, not necessarily oil rings not doing their job.

Comment

Originally posted by lauraj35 View Post
                    I have just bought a brand new VW GOLF TDI specifically paying the extra money for the diesel so I could use bio-diesel. The dealer was encouraging, and all preliminary research looked good. Imaging my disapointment when putting fuel in it for the first time and discovering the large sticker on the inside of the fuel door saying "NOT SUITABLE FOR BIODIESEL" , although this is mentioned nowhere else in the VW specs. Enquiries to VW have brough no response.

Does anyone have any insight into why these cars are not suitable for biodiesel, or if there is any way around this?
                    I have a 2006 VW Caddy with the 1.9 L TDI engine and it runs on 100% Biodiesel. It is my car and my decision to run on Biodiesel. It is ticking over like a Rolex watch. The only thing I have to be careful with is that Biodiesel is more viscous and has a higher Cloud Point than Diesel and a bit sluggish for only a few seconds before i drive off on a cold day.

If you want to follow my experience with Biodiesel, check my Website or Forum.
                    DutchAussie
                    Last edited by DutchAussie; 15 March 2009, 12:05 PM. Reason: VW is 2006 not 2007
                    Regards,

Arie (DutchAussie)
                    2007 VW Caddy 1.9 L TDI with DSG

Australian VW Caddy Website:
                    http://vw-caddy.yolasite.com

Australian VW Caddy Forum:
                    http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/index.php?mforum=d

Australian Biodiesel Handbook:
                    http://www.biodiesel-handbook.yolasite.com

Comment

I have run a BMW 320D current model on biodiesel since day 1 at b0-b100, 28,000kms no issues. It also says "no biodiesel additive" in the fuel cap. It actually runs better. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by Diester View Post
                        Just two quick questions - does the high flash point of biodiesel have anything to do with fuel dilution and can you avoid fuel dilution by making sure the engine gets up to temperature or going on long drives?
                        I don't understand your question. Biodiesel has a higher flash point than regular diesel as it is a different chemical.
                        1990 HZJ80

Comment

Originally posted by Diester View Post
                          Do you mean dilution of engine oil with fuel?
                          No, the higher flash point has nothing to do with it. This the temp at which it will ignite - not something you would want to occur in the crankcase!
                          Getting the engine up to temperature and going on a long drive will reduce the amount of fuel in the crankcase oil ONLY FOR A PETROL ENGINE. Petrol is a vaporising spirit and will evaporate from the oil over time and will do so faster at warmer temps. Diesel and Biodiesel are not vaporising spirits and will not evaporate from the crankcase oil in any meaningful amount.
                          Mazda's Secret Service motto: "Tell 'em nothing, charge 'em double".

Comment

Ah okay, cheers for clearing that up.

Another silly question, but does it happen at all in diesel engines using petroleum diesel?

Edit - Erm, disregard the question, as it does happen - just in their nature. Obvious really, from looking at the oil - it turns black (but also not an indicator of the oil's condition).
                            Diester
                            Biofuels Forum Newbie
                            Last edited by Diester; 9 June 2007, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Gunner,
                              you posted
                              Petrol is a vaporising spirit and will evaporate from the oil over time and will do so faster at warmer temps. Diesel and Biodiesel are not vaporising spirits and will not evaporate from the crankcase oil in any meaningful amount.
                              I disagree with this, as diesel will evaporate from the crankcase, from the top rings, etc, as it is a vaporising fuel, just not as volatile as petrol.

Biodiesel and veggie oil do not evaporate completely and will cause deposits which will char if in a high temperature situation, eg ring lands, injector face, etc. Biodiesel or veggie oil carried to the crankcase by blowby gases will accumulate in the oil and due to the constant agitation, splashing (exposure to oxygen) and heating, will polymerise if allowed to accumulate to any noticable extent.
                              Regular oil changes are necessary to prevent this becoming a problem. If your engine is worn, more frequent oil changes may be advisable due to the higher amount of blowby and resultant fuel in the engine oil.
                              At this stage, I do not know of simple tests to determine the amount of biodiesel or veg oil in the engine oil, or of the polymerisation of these fuels in the oil.
                              Regards,
                              Tony
                              Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                              '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                              '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                              '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                              '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                              '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                              '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                              '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                              '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                              '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                              '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                              '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                              '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                              Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

A bit scientific,so if you can't analyse stats just go to the results page its talks about the effects of BioDiesel on particulate filters.

http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy06osti/39606.pdf

Comment

Working...
                                X