06 VW GOLF TDI advice required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 06 VW GOLF TDI advice required

From my understanding that report supports B20 with the DPF, and the B20 is significantly cleaner with or without a DPF.

So why are WV Aust so fixated against using Biodiesel where a DPF is fitted??

Merry Christmas
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Yap when you read the stats all the P values are set at .005 or lower.So statistically it shows that their is no detriment to bio usage.
      alex

Comment

Hi all just thought i'd post my views and experience.

I have run Bd now for 4 or 5 years, make it myself and pay no attention to the so called experts at VW or Audi, who say 'you can't use that' or we've never heard of, bio what?'

my cars are and have been:

golf GT TDi 130pd with dpf 12000 miles no issues.

passat tdi 90 30000 miles no issues.

Audi A6 110 tdi 36000 miles no issues (improved mpg)

Audi A4 130 pd with dpf 20000 miles so far no issues (drop in mpg down to 46 from 52)

Peugeot boxer 2.2 hdi motorhome with dpf 4000 miles no issues.

belive it or not the motorhome achived 42.3 mpg in France last year! but averaged 33mpg.

my wife has just bought a 2005 golf sdi which will be run on Bd.

so in my experience just fill up your golf with 100%bd and smile as you drive past the garages selling fuel at nearly £5 a gallon. I doubt you will have any problems.

Kind regards. Marc.

Comment

Hi

Just reporting in. I have a 2007 Holden Captiva with those new Particulate filters installed(accoridng Aus standards)I was also concern about using b100 with my vehicle but after doing some research and reading some RCT's on it I gave it a shot and having been running on it since last november knocking up 3000 k's on a new new car. No problems whatsoever, only thing is recently I had to put in some Dino diesel(long trip) and the car was running rough.When I got that out of the system and started again with the usual b100 diet we were back to normal smooth sailing. I took the risk and methinks its paying off and my Holdie loves it.

Eventually it comes down to putting your actions where you talk is,ofcourse good to have informed actions.
          alex

Comment

I have been running a VW Caddy 1.9L TDI on up to 100% Biodiesel for 17 months and have done 14000 Km without any problems.

The last 4 months have been on 100% Biodiesel.

Regards,

Arie (DutchAussie)
            Regards,

Arie (DutchAussie)
            2007 VW Caddy 1.9 L TDI with DSG

Australian VW Caddy Website:
            http://vw-caddy.yolasite.com

Australian VW Caddy Forum:
            http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/index.php?mforum=d

Australian Biodiesel Handbook:
            http://www.biodiesel-handbook.yolasite.com

Comment

It only seems to be vw aust . I have done over 55000 k in my 06 polo on bio now . Did the first 15000 on dino . A few months back I went to tassie and i got a bad batch of dino, it had a nice dose of algae with it . was not sure of the problem at first so i took it to the dealer and the tool naturly blamed my use of bio and told me i had voided my warrenty .
              I asked why and he told me about the sticker on the filler . He was most upset when i got out my owners manual and pointed out the section on bio use and asked him to show me the sticker that is not there. (mine was one of the first tdi polos in the country .)

As i was leaving one of the mechanics went on his smoko break and came out to speak to me . He is a nice German gent who has been here for only a few years. He said to me that there is no problem running my polo on bio as he had run his golf over in Germany on b100 for 10 years . He had the heater on it as it snowed at his house during winter.
              He told me there would be no problem at my location but suggested to keep a jar of the fuel i use in the garage during winter to check if it is cloudy on cold mornings and if it is wait till it warms up a bit.

I had done this last year and had no problems with the fuel from my supplier even on mornings arround -2 .

I asked him about my mated 06 passat as it has a dpi where my polo doesn't he said it shouldnt be a problem but would recommend running every 5th tank being dino juice just to be safe.
              He also told me how to get rid of the algae.
              Jas.

2006 Vw Polo 1.9 TDI
              75000 km on Bio 100 :)
              :(Sold:(

BA Falcon on e10 at the moment
              looking for flex fuel conversion

1966 VC Valiant 225 slant 6
              Won't run on bio for some reason :rolleyes:

Comment

[QUOTE=mr.damage;

He told me there would be no problem at my location but suggested to keep a jar of the fuel i use in the garage during winter to check if it is cloudy on cold mornings and if it is wait till it warms up a bit.
                [/QUOTE]

That is what I do. My VW Caddy is parked outside and on cold nights I put a bottle of Biodiesel next to the car. I make my own Biodiesel so I have some control over the feedstock used to make the Biodiesel.
                If it is cloudy I turn the ignition on several times to make the glow plugs come on longer. So far that has worked. The engine always starts and I hold the RPM on about 1600, then wait until the engine speeds up before I drive away.
                The VW Caddy has the 1.9 L TDI engine with DSG.
                Regards,

Arie (DutchAussie)

Comment

At last I have found a forum that speaks sense!!! I am selling my Golf 2.0 Tdi with 56000km on the clock - almost all of it done with South Australian Farmers Federation Premium Diesel which is B20 in summer and lower in winter. The car took almost 30000km to run in - it usually cruises on the highway at 4.7L/ !00km including ADL - MEL and back. The car to replace it? A Skoda Octavia 2.0Tdi! At idle and warm the Golf now uses 0.4L/ Hour the Skoda 0.8L/hour at 1700km old - it seems to be a very tight engine! and using B20 from now on - On interstate trips I take a 5.0L container of 100%Bio and put in about 500ml per tankful to keep the lubrication up and as far as getting any sense let alone a reply to any communication on this topic from VW Australia - forget it!

Comment

Arclighter, welcome to the forum.

I looked at both the Octavia and Golf's at the motor show recently. I would expect you to get heavier fuel usage from the Octavia as it is bigger and heavier but, as I understand it, uses the same VW engine.
                    Slippery
                    Small steps taken one at a time.

Comment

Hi,

I believe that advice of "not from biodiesel" for DPF fitted vehicle comes from fear of unknown. As I have a Skoda car, please review this document which I think outlines the issue very nicely.

http://new.skoda-auto.com/Documents/...TechDevDPF.pdf

Just to quote the most important paragraph or two:
                      At exhaust gas temperatures in the range 350 - 500°C, the so-called catalytic combustion takes place automatically to convert the captured soot to CO2.
                      - active regeneration (city)
                      After approximately every 1000 km, through a short-term modification of combustion process the temperature of exhaust gases is raised to 600 °C which results in the combustion

The use of biodiesel, also known as rapeseed methylester (RME), must be reliquished for technical reasons. Namely, biodiesel has a higher reaction temperature than diesel fuel (DF). This is demonstrated in destillation curves of fuels shown below. Regeneration could therefore be incomplete accordingly. The consequence of more frequent regeneration phases, thus higher fuel consumption, could under certain circumstances lead to filter jamming or inferior performance.

System without additive is used in my Skoda 1.9 TDI which is also used in Golfs and I believe Jettas as well. Not quite agree with last sentence but my spin on it is as follows. They think that temperature of exhaust gases will be much lower for biodiesel (up to 100 degrees lower I believe). This may therefore makes passive regeneration more difficult (or impossible?). Therefore DPF will try to regenerate itself actively, resulting possibly in DPF getting too hot (?possibility of fire). Furthermore, active regeneration may be triggered based on reading of inlet and outlet pressure and tempreture gauges. Again possibly starting active regeneration even though they may not be needed but because it expects some sets of reading from petrodiesel rather than biodiesel. Or maybe active regeration may never start ??? However, I think they err on the side of caution and basically this is the reason why they say no.

I dont believe that biodiesel causes any problems in my car or others so I will not stop using it. However, can anyone try to use temperature gauge around DPF and maybe estimate active regeneration cycle frequency when running on biodiesel and petrodiesel? Big difference between active and passive regenaration temperatures should make it possible. I will certainly monitor mine somehow but someone might just have the gear and did something similar before? Anyone??

Comment

Originally posted by Slippery View Post
                        Arclighter, welcome to the forum.

I looked at both the Octavia and Golf's at the motor show recently. I would expect you to get heavier fuel usage from the Octavia as it is bigger and heavier but, as I understand it, uses the same VW engine.
                        Can't get the Skoda much under 6.5L/100km - the Golf was always low 5's and under for trips but get this - the the Skoda Wagon is 15Kg lighter than the Golf!!! 1350kg for the Golf 1335kg for the Skoda - the engine is very tight so I am hoping for an improvement after changing the engine Oil to Synthetic at the first service (7500km)

Comment

My Octavia 2.0 Tdi Wagon does not have a DPF - have a look at the Code sticker either in the front of your service manual or to the left of the spare tyre on the bottom row will be the code OGG which means no DPF fitted

Comment

Originally posted by arclighter View Post
                            Can't get the Skoda much under 6.5L/100km - the Golf was always low 5's and under for trips but get this - the the Skoda Wagon is 15Kg lighter than the Golf!!! 1350kg for the Golf 1335kg for the Skoda - the engine is very tight so I am hoping for an improvement after changing the engine Oil to Synthetic at the first service (7500km)
                            Diesel engines usually needs about 10000 km to "settle in" as far as consumption goes. On some of the forums it was mentioned that ECU is using richer mixture first couple of thousand kms. Once you run it in, it should go down by at least 0.5 l, thats my experience.

Comment

Hello all,

As a first time poster, I still have a lot to learn. Bio is definately in my future though!

As a recent purchaser of a new Golf GT diesel, and having already delved into it a fair bit, perhaps I can help. The good news for the Golf drivers with a DPF, which to my knowledge is only the 2.0 GT versions thus far, delete kits are available. It's an easy remove as there are no chemical additives as in other systems ( highly toxic in themselves - seems weird to swap soot for carcinogens... ). I may be playing the delete game in June. If indeed the entire problem with the DPF is temperatures, well that's an easy fix. Up the boost! I'd suggest a computer re-map to both increase boost to raise temps and allow for power losses with bio would be the answer. Either that, or you can take the gamble and play with the external adjuster on the VNT turbo on the GT, or the sensors on the normal 103kw TDI. There are options, and exhaust temps are usually a problem!

I recently accessed the VW technical training information for their service techs, and it seems the biofuel versions have an additional fuel heater ( not so much of a problem here in QLD ) and there was some info re the DPF and bio. I'll go through the printouts I have and post up what that was. The differences seemed to be very minor.

As for DPF temps, I have an EGR about to go in, so I hope to have some real data to report soon for fellow dubbers.

Here's to sticking it to the $1.70 plus robbers!
                              cogdoc
                              Biofuels Forum Newbie
                              Last edited by cogdoc; 21 May 2008, 04:07 PM.
                              Greg
                              Brisbane
                              VW GT TDI - bio is the future!

Comment

Originally posted by arclighter View Post
                                My Octavia 2.0 Tdi Wagon does not have a DPF - have a look at the Code sticker either in the front of your service manual or to the left of the spare tyre on the bottom row will be the code OGG which means no DPF fitted
                                Where do you get information about the OGG code?
                                I am convinced my VW Caddy has a DPF but I have the OGG code in my service booklet.
                                I would like to learn more about the codes.
                                Regards,

Arie (DutchAussie)

Comment

Working...
                                X