Anyone using injector line heaters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone using injector line heaters?

Hello, Im in Hawaii where the temp never falls below 60F (15C). Im planning to get a old Mercedes 300 and outfitting it with injector heaters and a fuel filter heater. Im eager to learn but am still learning about the process so talk slow and simple from time to time. So far I have found this info:

The nichrome wire used in fattywagans heaters was 316 stainless steel 30 inches long, 76.20 centimeters long. .031 inches dia for 80 watt heaters, .035 inches dia for 100 watt heaters.

1. I want it to function at 200F (93C) which seems to be a good temperature. What would I do to make it stay at 200F instead of going up to 2000F (1093C) Fuse, Temp Regulator, Thermistor?

BUT...
    Quote: "the acrevo study does recommend 302F (150C) for canola oil for it to atomize similar to petro"

2. Ive seen kits that were already insulated with some sort of wrap. What is that?

3. What about injector lines cracking?
    (at 150deg C, the issue I have is that the existing fuel lines are not manufactured for such extremes and, such rapid heating (and cooling) could lead (and has with some) to the fuel lines cracking.)

4. What about a second battery for the heaters?
    How would I wire that up? Especially if I do some minor audio improvements as well.

Comment

1. I want it to function at 200F (93C) which seems to be a good temperature. What would I do to make it stay at 200F instead of going up to 2000F (1093C) Fuse, Temp Regulator, Thermistor?
      I had a similar problem and so installed a thermoswitch to turn it off at 90 deg. This allowed me to make the elements shorter which therefore heat up quickly and are easier to install. Now, it may be difficult to get the thermoswitch to properly measure the temperature of the heating element as it is only in contact over a small part of the surface area of the switch, so we wrap the section with pure copper tape to conduct this heat over a greater surface area.

2. I've seen kits that were already insulated with some sort of wrap. What is that?
      The elements that we make up are a nichrome wire in a very thin silicone coated fibreglass sleeve. It wasn't easy to get! The Fatty Wagons system used a bulky fibreglass sleeve that tended to thermally insulate the wire and therefore took a long time to transfer the heat to the injector line.
      We then cover this with a high temperature split sleeve tubing (loom tube) and coat that in a high temperature fire retarded lagging for thermal insulation.

3. What about injector lines cracking?
      (at 150deg C, the issue I have is that the existing fuel lines are not manufactured for such extremes and, such rapid heating (and cooling) could lead (and has with some) to the fuel lines cracking.)
      None of my customers have reported this problem, as we are not heating them to such extremes of temperature. If you were to heat the oil to such extremes you may end up with impurities in the fuel building up on the walls of the injector line, so it's best to not overheat the oil.

I Have heard of lines cracking under the "old" system due to the excessive temperatures that were achieved. I measured over 180 deg C under the "old" system.

4. What about a second battery for the heaters?
      How would I wire that up? Especially if I do some minor audio improvements as well.
      The injector line heating elements that we make up use 2 amp per cylinder when they are on, which is less than half of the time, so a second battery is only necessary if you intend to start the engine from cold, in which case you are likely to want top preheat the injector lines, the fuel before the IP (maybe the IP itself) and the filter. This will draw significant load from the battery and is not the most reliable system to employ, although should be fine in Hawaii with a non- direct injection engine.

The easiest way is to just set up a second battery where there is space, and run a positive line to it from your existing battery. You can purchase an isolating kit from your local automotive parts shop.

Regards
      Marcus

Multifuel Diesel Vehicle Conversions
      Powered by Waste Vegetable Oils
      3 Waratah Avenue
      Belgrave Vic 3160

Comment

My plan is to use:
        fuel injector heaters
        fuel filter heater
        12v fuel pump

I just wanted to add that once the system is up and running
        I would be starting with a 50/50 mixture of wvo/petro-diesel
        and working from there (not pure WVO) although I would be
        cold starting on that mixture

(currently the indoor temperature reads 75F with no heater/air conditioner)

Comment

Cold starts are not recommended for Direct Injection motors due to many factors, the main being coking and glazing in the cylinder bore. Pre-heating the oil before starting will help to resolve these issues but may not resolve them altogether as the engine is cold. Having said that, I operate my Direct Injection engine as a no purge system, but ensure that the fuel is well heated both at the injectors and before the IP prior to starting, and so far haven't had any problems. I do believe that the odd long trip from time to time will help to give the system a good clean out.

What is the vehicle that your intending to convert?

Powered by Waste Vegetable Oils
          3 Waratah Avenue
          Belgrave Vic 3160

Comment

G'day Bryan,

As you are using a two tank system I dont percieve a second battery to be necessary as you dont start the car cold on veg oil. At the time you switch over the oil should be up to or close to operating temp, which means that the battery should be being charged by the alternator and replenishing what the start took out of it. The draw of the heaters you have is similar to having the low beam lights on, not a huge problem. You have a huge battery and reasonable size alternator fitted.
            The idea of using a thermal switch to control the turn on turn off points is a good one.
            If you need help wiring the heaters up I can help you, but you will have to wait a couple of weeks as work has me sitting out the next couple of weeks on Groote Eylandt.
            I also think there are some gains to be had by improving the transfer of heat from the heater hoses into the veg fuel line.
            Rgds

Adam

"Revolution never comes with a warning!"

Comment

Originally posted by David
              If you are planning on running a 50% blend, you don't need any heating at all. On a 300D in the climate you describe, this is the easiest and most hassel free veg system for you to run. I have been running a 10-20% Unleaded blend in my 300D with no problems at all.

You have to remember, with a blend you have already thinned the oil. The biggest advantage to heating the fuel on these cars is to thin it to make it easier to get through the filters. Once the car has warmed up, it will have to go through the hot fuel pump and then the hot injector pump before it even gets to the injector lines. Once it hits the injectors sunk in the head, No matter what temp the oil is before it gets there, it will instantly assume the temp of the injectors and that is it. After half an hour of running, the fuel tank in my car has also been significantly warmed by the return fuel.

I would love to see injector line heaters get the temp to 150oC on a cold running engine! They would be pulling some significant current to accomplish that!

You could heat the oil to 1000oC to make it atomise like Dino Diesel but once it hits the head sitting at 80-90oC or whatever, you will be lucky if it sprays through the injectors at more than a degree or 2 above the head temp. As such, I would suggest that you would be a lot better off with just a coolant heater and that is not nessacary for a 50% blend anyway.

I see this question posted all the time about injection line heaters but it is just not a practical concern. Often the question seems to be answered by people with little apparent knowledge of Automotive electrics and as such, they give very misleading and incorrect answers.

Where are you going to put a 2nd Battery in a 300D anyway?
              Only place I could think of would be the boot and then you are going to have to run a heavy, double insulated cable back to the main battery or wire in an isolator system and use this to feed the line heaters. Big job ( and frought with danger if your not savvy and understand car wireing) and totally unessecary.

If as suggested previously, you are going to run heaters that pull 2 A each, that is only 10 amp total. The batteries in diesel cars are usually more like truck batteries than the Flashlight size batteries some small cars have. My own merc has a 55amp alternator which was standard, and a battery that puts out 800 cold cranking amps and has a reserve capacity of 150 Minutes. This means the battery will supply a 25Amp load for 2 1/2 Hours!! Putting an extra 10 amp load on it for even half an hour isn't going to put enough of a dent in the charge level to make 1 iota of difference. You could triple or quadruple the load and run it 30 minutes and it still wouldn't make any difference to normal starting where you are going to be lucky to crank the engine for more than 10 Seconds.

I have calculated that if you turn everything on in a stock 300D ( lights, Wipers demister, fan blower etc) you still have capacity on the alternator charge rate to spare. If you are going to add a " Normal" type sound system, it still wouldn't make a scrap of Difference.

Instead of the impracticality of adding in a second battery, Just make sure you have a good large battery in the first place. The biggest battery you can get here is around 200 of our dollars which is going to be heaps cheaper than a decent second battery, an isolator and all the wiring and bits and pieces you will need to set it up without causing your car to catch fire. I imagine the pricing will be proportionally similar in your part of the world and installing a large single battery is still your best soloution. If you want a bit of extra margin on the alternator, the standard Bosch types of around 80Amps would be more than overkill and easy to get anywhere I imagine.

I have gone in to a lot of detail on this to clear up a few misconceptions but I would suggest that line and filter heaters in your climate are a waste of time. If you were really pedantic about heating the fuel, you would be far better off with a run of the mill coolant type heater such as the one Mercedes made as original equipment for these cars or the much used flat plate type.

It has been stated by several members that using a fuel pump is completely unessacary on a Mercedes as the stock pump is recognised as being stronger than any electric pump available on veg oil.

In practacality, you are going to a lot of extra and unnessacary trouble with your planned setup. Mix the blend, pour it in and drive around happily.

you have a lot of good info there
              thank you

let me add more stuff
              (im sure ill be glad i did)

i was going to start on a 50/50 mix but then I was going to gradually increase the amount of wvo and see what happens.
              with my fingers crossed i hope to get to about 75% wvo. (or more)
              I just want the injectors/fuel filter heaters to make sure that blend gets heated.

(especially since Hawaii is relatively small, and I hardly ever drive more than 30 miles at a time)

(another reason why I chose the heater method as opposed to a dual tank or a fuel exchanger as
              by the time everything is heated up "Coolant-wise", Id be shutting down and going in the house)

regarding the fuel pump. like i mentioned above, i plan to gradually increase the amount of SVO. (hopefully this makes any sense) ?

and regarding the battery. the injector/fuel filter heaters I have been looking into to, draw about 16 amps total.
              Plus ill no doubt be upgrading the stock deck, all speakers, and possibly adding an amp+sub.
              Do you think the stock battery would be able to handle the load?
              (what about getting a more powerful battery? optima/etc?)

thanks again
              I look forward to learning more!

Comment

Guys please stop obsessing about the size of batteries. The size of the battery is only relevant in so far as it must be able to run the vehicle as the maker intended. The size of the charging system is more important. To illustrate, if your vehicle sucks 100Amps from the battery, and your charging system can only supply 80Amps your battery will eventualy go flat . Adding a bigger (or more) batteries just means that it will take longer for the battery to go flat . In this instance you will be better spending the money on a higher capacity alternator. If your battery is having 100Amps sucked from it but your charging system produces 120Amps then you have a charging excess and your battery will not go flat .

and regarding the battery. the injector/fuel filter heaters I have been looking into to, draw about 16 amps total.
                Plus ill no doubt be upgrading the stock deck, all speakers, and possibly adding an amp+sub.
                Do you think the stock battery would be able to handle the load?
                (what about getting a more powerful battery? optima/etc?)
                My suggestion would be to use the force and go talk to a car audio (I.C.E.) supplier/installer in your local area to sort out your audio requirements.
                Rgds

Adam

"Revolution never comes with a warning!"

Comment

i have never known a car audio person to talk about alternators (foremost)

batteries always proceed it

thanks for the input though

Comment

Originally posted by zigparacingtadpole View Post
                    Guys please stop obsessing about the size of batteries. The size of the battery is only relevant in so far as it must be able to run the vehicle as the maker intended.
                    I'm pretty sure Mercedes never intended their cars to be running on Veg oil with electric heaters all over the fuel system and a sound system that would have the output of a PA system in a public hall!

While I concede that a good Merc size Battery will do the job here, the situation would be that the battery would have to support the load of the glow plugs in the engine and an extra load of line and filter heaters as proposed BEFORE the engine was running to charge the battery back up.
                    I am led to believe that diesels are relatively sensitive to slow cranking and if the battery did not have enough capacity to spin the engine up fast enough, starting difficulties may occur. While in this case the battery will operate in warm conditions, just about everyone reading this will experience much lower temps at some time and this diminishes battery capacity as well. As I said, in this case that would not be a problem with a Good heavy duty battery installed but my reply was written in a way that would cover a broader scope of usage than just this one scenario.

One thing to be aware of, Batteries are rated as the current and capacity they will supply when in NEW condition. It is always a good policy to fit an over rated battery where practical so that when the battery is 2 years old, you are still getting all the juice you need.

You are right about the alternator though Adam, it is imperative to have excess charging current. The way alternators are specified, they will only supply their rated current when the battery is very low or the draw is very high. Sometimes they will then exceed their rated output IF they are up to the required speed. As many modern large cars often don't get over 2500 rpm in normal circumstances these days, the alternators are over rated so as to give sufficient charge at these lower engine speeds.

In a merc diesel which does relatively high engine speeds, this would be less of a problem. One nice thing about the mercs is that they use the standard Bosch alternators which are fitted to about 1000 other cars and are easily found the world over in a range of capacities. I believe the latest ones are capable of 200 amps but more typical units are 80 and 100 amps.

If you are just fiting something like a cd player, sub and an amp, you will not have any trouble with your electrics.
                    I have played with this uprated sound gear and the electric ratings on a lot of it is a complete crock. I have seen endless amps and head units that specify a certain minimum gauge wiring and have massive terminals on the power inputs.

Many units specify a power cable as thick as you little finger but when you open the units up, Inside the wire going to the circuit board is the size of a piece of thin string! Sure you don't want voltage drop in the cable but you would never get that much!
                    Like most things, big numbers sell product in this game. Before you let some audio type salesman tell you that you need to supply 50 Amps to your setup and have an expensive bullshit battery.... Errr, sorry, I mean 1 Farad CAPACITOR to keep the voltage up, do the mental math as to how many REAL watts ( not hollow RMS or peak ratings which mean nothing) at say 6 volts the units can actually supply in audio power to get a closer estimate of the real current draw.

Even if you do get caught in a storm on a hot night and have the air, wipers, aircon, stereo , lights and every other electrical devise in the car going, any undercharge by the alternator would be supplied by the battery for more than the short distances you say you travel and once you got home, switching everything off and running the car for a few minutes at fast idle will top the battery off enough to get you started in the morning.

I would suggest the best and smartest way to go would be to do all your modifications and add in all your electrical gear and then take the car to an auto electrician and have them test the charge rate with everything in the car turned on and the car running around 2500RPM. IF the alternator can't keep up and you think that you may have the need for every electrical devise in the car to be on at once, install a bigger alternator. If you think this is an unlikely scenario and you can be mindful of it on the occasions it does occur, no need to worry about a thing!

With your Fuel System, You have to realise that the best you can do with a cold engine is heat the fuel a bit to get it through the filters easier.
                    If you heat before the filter the oil will pass through nice and thin right till it gets to the big lump of a cold injection pump which will cool it back to the temp of the cold engine almost instantly. From there on the fuel is engine temp which is cold. The amount of oil you would be heating to any temp simply does not contain enough BTU's to make any change to a great lump of thermal mass like an engine or IP.

If you heat after the pump such as with line heaters, the oil will then hit the injectors which are set in an even bigger thermal mass being the Head and again will virtually instantly assume the temp of whatever the engine is Plus maybe a little extra after maybe 15 seconds of running as the injector tip picks up heat from the combustion chamber.

These problems on a cold engine are compounded by the fact that at 16 amps, you are only putting 220 watts of heat into the system. This is not enough to have any influence on the engine or components the fuel will flow through till they themselves have warmed up at which time you don't need the heaters ( especially in your climate) anyway. I have been taking notice of the warm up time on my 300D and I would suggest that 1 minute after warm up, there is useable warm water flow coming out of the heater connection in the head to make a lot more difference to any fuel heating than what any practical electrical heating could supply. Sure it takes a minute where the electric is instant, but putting hot oil into a cold engines is futile and in fact a suggested cause of damage on some engines and pumps.

I have been looking into all this heating stuff a lot and even with one tank systems using SVO, the cold starts are still more reliant on engine and fuel system tolerance than anything else. This is why they don't ( with one exception) do single tank systems for rotary and inline/similar type pumps. Luckily the Bosch type pump found on a 300D is considered the most robust type pump of all.

The bottom line is, in your climate and in a 300D, with the blends you suggest, the modifications you are proposing are not going to be needed and not going to be effective. I believe you would be far better off forgetting the electrical heating and using a coolant type exchanger. While the engine is cold, its going to be cold till warms itself up no matter how much heat you try to put into the fuel.

I do understand that what I am saying goes against a lot of the accepted theories but simply thinking the process through will let logic tell you that putting a small stream of hot oil through the workings of a big cold lump of metal isn't going to allow the oil to stay warm for a second. In some areas where temps are freezing, electric heating may thaw/ thin out the oil but it is not going to make any difference in those first moments of startup to the engine or the pump.

Instead of using Diesel, you may like to look into blending with Unleaded gas. You would only need to run 15% max in your climate during winter and 10% in summer as I have seen a guy on another forum state he has been doing for the last 2 years without problem.

Hope this helps and yuor still awake after reading it.

Comment

Hey David, it's really hard to reply after such a great long spiel, as a short reply just simply doesn't do justice to the content that you have provided.

In practice, I believe your theory on heating the fuel for a cold motor to be incorrect. I live in the Dandenong Ranges where it gets very cold in winter. I have one vehicle that would not start at all on Vegetable Oil under these conditions, requiring bleeding the fuel lines to replace with diesel if purging had been forgotten.

With the installation of Injector line heaters, this vehicle will cold start. We call it our insurance policy as it does make a huge difference.

Regards
                      Marcus
                      Vegiecars
                      Last edited by Vegiecars; 25 February 2007, 09:46 PM. Reason: could have been misread