Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oxidisation/Polymerisation on Cottonseed oil - photos

Originally posted by David View Post
    I went out to have a look at the few tins I have left but the ones I have held on to are the cleaner ones or have the plastic thread inserts and lids and none of them have have the goo. I might try putting some oil around the lids of a few and seeing if I can re create the effect.

Tony,
    Where would a person actually send this stuff to be anylised and what would they ask? Would the lab need some specification of what you are looking for over a " What is it?" request?
    What is your ballpark estimate of what such a test would cost?
    I suggest that a Tertiary institution which has chemical courses, especially one which has renewable fuels / energy courses may be a good place to start.
    I do not have costs for testing.
    I do not know what tests are needed to identify the substance, but not having any tests done at all, and to keep asking "what is it" will not get a definitive answer.
    I did suggest some simple tests to determine whether it is soluble, flamamable, etc. These tests could be done at no cost.
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

To test for oxidation it is necessary to conduct a Peroxide Test, as pointed out in the article eluded to at the beginning of this thread.
      SGS at Toowoomba (0746330599) will do this for $66.

Malcolm.

Comment

Members,
        The Treasurer of WARFA has contacts in the oilseed industry and will seek to have them identify the substance. Initial observations are that the substance has darkened since removal from the tank, it has a cohesive, putty like consistency, which it has been suggested indicates a greater potential of the cause being fungal rather than microbial.

We will wait for the report on the substance's properties and composition with bated breath.

Discussions also raised the likelihoood of an "infection" in the fuel tank which should be "disinfected" to prevent a recurrence. This should be done in any diesel fuel bioligical or fungal contamination as the smallest leftovers will most likely reinfect the fuel system.

Regards,
        Tony
        Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
        '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
        '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

If someone will send me a sample, I will get it analysed at a govt. lab (no charge). PM me for contact details etc.

Michael

Comment

A few of points

1. The tank was first used for vege oil.
            2. The first lots of my oil had been sitting for many months in drums on the side of my house. I only used the top portion
            3. The formation of the material was seen very early on.
            4. The was no rust inside the tank. It was perfectly clean and it seemed that the steel had been etched so was participating in the reaction.
            5. Tests at a lab indicated starch was present as well as iron - the conclusion by the very interested owner of the facility was that the iron was acting as a catalyst in the reaction. I am sure this was with the peroxide test.
            6. The iron acting as a catalyst was also suggested in the above mentioned report and therefore fitted what I had found so far. Based on this I painted the inside of the tank to remove the catalyst.

The only part of the advice that was ignored was that I should be filtering and running blends to fix the problem. This is a great preventative measure, but so is running 100% diesel. I got my original advice from a company in Canada, who suggesting using the VORMAX and I have been trying to achieve the goal ever since. It is using the two tank system and switching to 100% WVO once warmed up.

The formation of the material in my tank is another obstacle and I want to find the solution, which at the moment is a painted tank (internally). I suspect that the addition of a small amount of antioxidant would give me the same result and if a mL will fix the problem then it is a cheap option.

I tend to agree that the addition of ULP would allow vapour to be present in the top part of the tank, but this would not have been the reason I might have run the ULP in the first place - just a side effect. Of course the use of the wrong type of additive would also have a negative effect.

My thanks to those showing interest, asking question and offering advice (including yours Tony).

regards
            Brian
            Toyota Landcruiser 80 Series 1990 VX Ltd - 12HT powered- diesel for run-in period (no longer 1HDT).
            190L vege oil LR tank and 90L diesel, Vormax, 30 plate FPHE, two automated 3-way ball valves with delay to prevent mixing on purge.

Comment

Brian,
              You are welcome. If I can be of assistance. please feel free to ask.

I am happy that painting the innards of the tank has solved the immediate problem.

As I have said, I also have a mild steel tank, but have no inidcation that this is occurring in there. I will keep an eye on it and report if I find any evidence of polymerisation of the oil.

Regards,
              Tony

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

As you all know I have been using my main tank "mild steel" for vegy oil since October and had no signs of such problems too.
                Fitian
                <><

Comment

Something I hadn't really considered until just now, is that if you are running WVO, you don't just have vegetable oil in your tank, you have a cocktail of carboxylic acids in there also, which potentially could react with your tank, being metallic. It would likely react much faster with things like copper and zinc.
                  So perhaps it isn't acting as a catalyst at all, but is being oxidised by the acid in the oil.

I will have a look at corrosion data for mild steel in a few carboxylic acids (if I can find it) and see.
                  Please click below for info on how you can help the victims of spinal injury, or just spread the word.

Comment

Folks,

All will be revealed soon - I hope. Three samples have been given to others for lab analysis - let's hope they all come back with consistent results!!!

Tim
                    Toyota Landcruiser 1988 HJ61 Manual Wagon
                    12H-T turbo Direct Injection.
                    Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80°C output, 12mm fuel lines
                    Start up and shut down electric fuel pump feeds IP direct.
                    Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.

Comment

Tim, what your mate has in his tank is simply an oxidation reaction. Our veg oils are basically fatty acids which can oxidise in the presence of oxygen and water. Simply put, this is a reaction in which Oxygen attacks an unsaturated fatty acid at the Carbon molecule immediately adjacent to an unsaturated site in the molecular chain.

There can be a number of causes for this reaction. To summarise the Frybrid article, they are:

1. Availability of Oxygen- fuel storage tanks provide an ample supply of oxygen for the reaction.

2. Heat- A rule of thumb in chemistry is that the rate of a reaction doubles with every 10 deg C increase in temperature.

3. Presence of Pro-Oxidants. Some Pro-Oxidants found in Veg Oil systems are Copper, Mild Steel, Zinc, and Aluminium.

4. Light- Ultraviolet light can act as a pro-oxidant.

5. Time- Longer exposures increase the degree of oxidation.

Now, tying all of these reactions together, free fatty acids, even though only sparingly soluble, are carried in any water present and can therefore attack any metals they encounter. These metal ions can then catalyse the oxidation reaction. Given enough oxygen, enough heat, the right metal catalyst, this oxidation can be quite rapid.

The problem with this rapid oxidation in vegetable oils is that the peroxide free radicals produced can and do also react with unsaturated sites to form long chain, cross-linked polymers, con verting a triglyceride with a molecular weight in the 100’s to a polymer with a molecular weight in the millions. The effect of these polymers can range from the major inconvenience of tank fouling!

If you use a metal tank for holding Veg oil, it should be coated with something like a good epoxy. POR15 would be the best one for this job.

For this reason I don’t use my main fuel tank for holding veg oil and is one reason for preferring the plastic fuel tanks.

By the way, oils with lower iodine values have better oxidative stability than oils with high iodine values.

Hope this helps….
                      bruceT
                      Last edited by bruceT; 16 June 2007, 11:19 AM. Reason: added text
                      Cheers
                      Bruce

1976 W123 300D (3 litre 5-cyl NA diesel running on SVO since June 2006)
                      1982 W126 280SE (Sadly is For Sale)
                      1993 W124 300D (3 litre 6-cyl NA diesel - being converted to SVO)

Comment

Hello Bruce,

It is great to have you back on the forum. Loaded with useful info.

I have actually been using the main tank in the merc for vegy. It's been over 5 months now. Yet I have no such dramas and the CAV filter never gets any of that too. The tank is not heated and the return line is not heated too. Do you think it will still happen sooner or later?

Thanks
                        Fitian
                        <><

Comment

Hi Fitian

Not necessarily. If you use up your fuel quickly and are therefore turning over your fuel storage in a short time, then you are reducing the risk. Remember "time" is one of the factors with oxidation. With temperature being a factor too, heated metal fuel tanks are at risk too, but your 300D tanks are not heated. It would also be safe to presume that most metal fuel tanks on older vehicles have corroded internally and would have metal parts in contact with the fuel, plus a bit of H2O, so increasing the risk. Cleaning this stuff out, if it happened would be no picnic, so check the screen filter periodically for signs of any build-up.

Yes, I'm busy catching up on all the threads which are most interesting. I see you've been quite busy and have done some really good work with your cars. Excellent photos too.
                          Cheers
                          Bruce

Comment

I don't know if this is the correct place to post this, but what is this crusty layer in my filtering/heating barrel? The oil shown in the photo has been sitting in the bottom of my painted steel drum for about 2 months. When I run my finger through it, it lookes like an icebreaker going through ice. I've had the same layer forming on some of my unfiltered oil but only the stuff which has been sitting there for over a week. I've since filtered out the layer and used the oil (I was desperate) so I cant run any more experiments on it. It was particularly cold in Adelaide when I noticed this (14*C) so I was thinking that maybe it was a layer of solidifyed oil, but why did it not happen to the newish oil?

Any ideas?

Bryan

Comment

Originally posted by Urvey View Post
                              I don't know if this is the correct place to post this, but what is this crusty layer in my filtering/heating barrel? The oil shown in the photo has been sitting in the bottom of my painted steel drum for about 2 months. When I run my finger through it, it lookes like an icebreaker going through ice. I've had the same layer forming on some of my unfiltered oil but only the stuff which has been sitting there for over a week. I've since filtered out the layer and used the oil (I was desperate) so I cant run any more experiments on it. It was particularly cold in Adelaide when I noticed this (14*C) so I was thinking that maybe it was a layer of solidifyed oil, but why did it not happen to the newish oil?

Any ideas?

Bryan
                              Looks like wax to me Bryan. However if your oil is from a fish n chip shop, it could also be palm oil or some similar HMP oil that some foods are pre-fried in at the factory and which then mixes with whatever veg oil the shop uses. Cold filtering will remove it.
                              Cheers
                              Bruce

Comment

I have often seen it floating and have just not put it into the car, I believe its wax. Only a problem if you heat your oil to filter it, as it will reform when it gets colder. Or your filter will catch it all before it gets to the engine. As Bruce says, cold filtering will catch it.
                                From my expirence high melt point oils/ fats sink to the bottom.
                                cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Working...
                                X