Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brisbane Users Meet and Greet

Cade
    let me know if you need some help. Happy to put in some work.
    might be able to con a mate to make a spit. I have a food grade drum from Ron and Julies still lying around.
    My motor is for a smaller but still large BBQ so may not handle a 30kg pig

looking forward to catching flying pig. as long as it doesn't fly backwards.

Michael
    97 Jeep XJ Cherokee on B100. 0 km's on B100 and counting !!!! (Sold)
    2002 Merc ML270 now on B100. (Sold)
    2006 Ssangyong Musso 2.9 t idi (Sold)
    2015 NP300 Navara ( Sold )
    2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Stainless processor with blue water pump.
    Tetragonula Hockingsi

Take the Leap and grow wings on the way down

Comment

Like wise, if you need assitance, this is sounding seriously good pork and sweet potatoe.

I wont have much beer left but I will see what can be done as long as you bring that popcorn maker with you Michael!

PS the 100 series is running bio perfectly.
      Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Matt

I was going to see if Julie wanted to let the beer fridge out for the afternoon A keg wouldn't go astray.

Hope the 80 didn't cop too much damage but looks like you moved on to 100 series. hoping to move up to a 2005 ford courier for B100.

Michael
        2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Tetragonula Hockingsi

Comment

Thanks for all your offfers of assistance guys, I might need to call on them!

I am actually looking forward to bodging up a spit. thought I would use one of my Methanol drums with most of the side cut out of it, leaving the two ends intact. a pair of steel legs for each end that form an angle and meet at the point of rotation for the skewer. Not sure what to use for the skewer yet, might clean up and sanitise a steel star picket??? sounds a bit ma and pa kettle though. thought it would be easier to sanitise siomething like that rather than try to sanitise a pipe. never get the inside properly clean.

Now the drive is a different story. thinking of cutting out a big disk from ply that I can use as a geared pulley on one of my slower motors. just need a suitably sized belt. might end up making one yet.

On second thoughts I might just hire one.....

Comment

windscreen wiper motors work well, no need to gear it down

Comment

Cade
              I might see what a copier motor does. can get my hands on plenty of old copiers. will trash one a get back to you.
              I can see it now, a plywood gearbox.

might work and has given me an idea.
              Michael

Cade. Ok. I've browsed the web for Spit roasting a pig. we are going to need a serious spit for 30 kg's of pig. Hhhmmmm, do we call upon our fellow members to hand over $10 to $20 each for a hire ? obviously Gene doesn't.
              Gene, do you want anything for the pig ? can we offer anything for your attendance ?? fuel / oil ??

sorry , doing it agin. Cade are your children going to be upset by seeing miss piggy over a flame grill ?
              SUZUDDIS
              Last edited by SUZUDDIS; 12 April 2011, 11:18 AM.
              2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Tetragonula Hockingsi

Comment

Pitching in for the hire is certainly the easiest option...

dont worry Micheal, my kids have to grow up at some point. unfortunately the combination of living in town, being time poor and the current regulations make it so difficult to give your children a good founding in the realities of the food chain.

I think it is shaping up to be a whole day and a reasonable portion of the night event!!

just what the rum doctor ordered.....

Comment

Sounds fine, I will ask my boiler maker mate about a stainless spit to put miss piggy on.

Good idea the fridge, how about the beans?

Money to pitch in is a great idea.

Happy to donate fuel too.

Matt
                  Biodiesel Bandit

Comment

Hi All,
                    Have been thinking about it today and I think I could make one for about $150 using pullys for gearing it down with some second had steel for the rest with an old 1500 rpm mtor we have laying about.

Seems that one way of another we will have 1 spit and perhaps more .

Does that mean we could have a spitting competition,.

Have to talk to Julie and see if there are any more stainless drums would be great for a spit as well.

Gene

Comment

Gene

The stainless kegs wouldn't be big enough. don't go spending any money on a spit. I'm sure we can get something together.

I'll have the beans bye the way Matt. will bring the roaster , grinder and plunger.

Michael
                      2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Tetragonula Hockingsi

Comment

Thanks Michael,
                        for the concern and perhaps I wont get it done by the next meet and greet, however we currently have 30 piglets, with several more baking so believe me mate, A spit would be a blessing here and wont go astray.
                        I get 2.5 ton of sweet potato a week for free so feed is not a problem for me but cooking them is, have only 25 more besser blocks to lay and have finished the outside walls to the new unit so have to have a party when it is finished.

In the past I couldn't get past the idea of having to use a commercial gear box to bring it down to 5 - 7 rpm but with the work I have been doing with pully's can now make one.

Some of the spits up here use a half 44 to put the fire in so can be set up in any back yard without damaging the lawn so if you cut a keg in half longitudinally you and welded the 2 halves together would not have to worry about replacing the 44 on a regular basis as they burn out. and if you do the same again for the top will act as a mirror and cook both sides. as well as much easier to clean.

Besides you get $50 to sell a 8 week old or 150 for a spit pig for $30 worth of feed as well as the spit hire and we are now coming into pig spit season. Pig and spit about $200 so is well worth the outlay.

Take care.

P.S. second hand ram steel goes for very little and is easy to get from the scrap metal yard. for the skewers heavy but wont bend.

Comment

Gene

Look forward to seeing the house. I'll put that in the calender !!

to everyone ..... how's the first Saturday in June ?? Saturday the 4th or Sunday the 5th ????
                          Let me know soon because it will be here before we know it.
                          For those who won't or can't come , we will have another event in maybe September / October. if you want it in your area then I'm happy to go most places. I'm sure most of the guys who are in the Brisbane forum would be willing to do a little travel.

Gene comes down from Bundy area so it would be good to at least go up there at least once.

Michael
                          2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Tetragonula Hockingsi

Comment

Looking forward to Michael's coffee particularly and some roasted pork and good company.

That will be lovely, looking forward to whatever happens. (That's life for you)

Matt
                            Biodiesel Bandit

Comment

Hi All, Yep, The 4th of June works well for me. Happy to host at our house. Please PM me with your contact details so we can confirm numbers. I live near Northlakes on the north side of brisbane, close to the highway. As you can probably understand, am reluctant to post my address etc here, so please contact me for the details.

Comment

Hi All,

Thank you Cade for your hospitality, date works well for me, the chicken mobile mark II is now fully operational so wont be a problem anymore can start on the spit next.

Was a real bugger putting petro diesel in makes a big hole in the budget.

See you then.

best wishes to all,

Gene

Comment

Working...
                                X