Brisbane Users Meet and Greet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brisbane Users Meet and Greet

you know I'll be there !! I'll bring some onions ?? got to have BBQ onions with some brew.
    Loaf of bread and bits.

Look forward to a gathering.
    Michael
    97 Jeep XJ Cherokee on B100. 0 km's on B100 and counting !!!! (Sold)
    2002 Merc ML270 now on B100. (Sold)
    2006 Ssangyong Musso 2.9 t idi (Sold)
    2015 NP300 Navara ( Sold )
    2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Stainless processor with blue water pump.
    Tetragonula Hockingsi

Take the Leap and grow wings on the way down

Comment

OK, I have been a little Tardy organising it, but how about we go for the 19th May at my place?

I wanna focus the meet back onto Bio.

We need new faces, and it was good to see that Jim from Dutton Park is interested.

So it will be 9am kickoff. I will have a cold esky and fridge running. Will put on a sausage sizzle for all.

Please bring whatever you want to drink (alcoholic or otherwise! - dont feel you need to hold back unless your driving) and maybe a small plate of nibbles.

I will offer the use of my brewer and a batch of 200l of oil for a newby to get their hands dirty, doing the batch themselves under guidance from a few of the old heads.

For the more established guys, it would be good if you could please bring along some of your special gear you might have developed, be it a good bio recipe as a handout / flyer, or even just a nifty piece of kit. Michael I am interested to hear about your base/base success.

Am completely open to suggestions, and look forward to input from all.

Here's to COBCON 2012. (Chip Oil Baron CONvention)

If you havent been to my place before - its near Northlakes on the Northside of Brissy. PM me for finer details.

Kind regards,

Cade.

Comment

Sound good Cade,

Could you also organise some good weather for the weeks leading up to the biggest event on the calendar, so I don't have to work again

So I hope I'll see you there !!!

Happy ANZAC evening everyone
        1990 Toyota Hilux LN106 with ATG 2 tank system (sold after running 150.000 ks on mainly WVO)

1993 Toyota 75 Series with 1 HDT conversion, 75l factory tank and a custom 170l under tray tank. (Retired with 680.000ks on the clock mostly running on BIO and on WVO)

2006 Landcruiser Troopcarrier 1HZ with DTS Turbo Kit, 170ltr long range tank currently not converted, running on B100

"him who never made a mistake, made no discovery either"

Comment

Jens - I'll jump on the Bat Phone and put in a good word re the weather.......

I spoke to Grey hair last night, and he will bring along R2D2, his latest creation for mixing Meth safely. Coupled with C3PO (my meth mixer) we could have a good old star wars convention. All we need now is a few Pod Racers, and we are sorted.....

Comment

cademan full on 4 19th me peter +1 other. am running 2004 nivara on b100 now,cheers bill.

Comment

Thanks Cade will be there too, and Bill it's about time.
              Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Look forward to it Matt.

Just a reminder to all in Brisvegas, FREE snags and onions at my joint and a chinwag about all things oily. We will put on a 200 litre batch, done by a newby hopefully, from start to finish, and it wont be complicated. We will abide by the KISS rule, as I believe that's where all the greatest innovations occur.

There will be latest and greatest in Methoxide mixers made from junk, that will hopefully spark a bit of conversation and fine tuning.... (over a few brews!!)

come along even if you dont live in Brissy and want a saturday drive. There are at least two blokes from abroad that I know are quite interested, one from Down near Aratula and the other from Nimbin. So its worth the trip.

Saturday 19th May at 9am till late arvo. bring your grog and maybe a small plate of nibblies. I'll put on bread, snags, onions and sauce as usual.

Just a friendly collection of smiley and oily fellas looking for a laugh and cheap fuel....

If you have an innovation or nifty recipe, bring it along!

PM me for contact details and address. I am on the north side near North Lakes.

See you there!

Comment

Ok, so apart from the ever willing to help regular members in brissy, I havent had any interest from a single newby. I know there are new people to the hobby/way of life in brissy from looking at the recent posts. If we are to maintain the little local network we have, an injection of new folks would be great. Matt, Michael, Bill and Jens are examples of really good people that I personally have found extremely helpful. If you are local and struggling, learning or even kicking goals, we would love to have you along. I guarantee you will learn something, and meet some helpful people in the process.

If we don't have new people involved we will stagnate and then everyone will lose out.

This forum is fantastic. I have the administrators and colourful characters on here to thank for my recent bio diesel success and improvements. The advice you get is awesome. however our little group of greasers adds another dimension of physical help when needed, even if its just bulk buying power on our consumables.

So come along, you have nothing to lose!

Heres to a nice sample of amber ale.....

Comment

Cade

thanks again for an informative meet. Thanks to your dad for the lead education.
                    Thankyou for organising good weather and a shame no new members turned up , but oh well. Can't help everyone.

Thanks for organising R2D2 to come along. It gives me some pretty good ideas for the new mixer and also for a new processor.
                    Good to meet Peda and see everyone again.

Michael
                    2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Tetragonula Hockingsi

Comment

Hi Michael,

I think it actually went pretty well. It was good to see everyone again, and I managed to offload a heap of filters I had, and managed to exchange a motor! The weather was pretty darn good I'll give you that. I'll have to swing the big bloke a bottle of booze as a thankyou.

Thanks to all for turning up, and I look forward to hearing about improved meth mixers on our basic design.

I am not sure how we atract newbies, I guess people just arent willing to spend a saturday on it.

regardless it was a great day, and was talking to Dad last night and he had a ball. I'll let him know for you Michael.

BTW it was great to see you again Peda.

Cheers to all,

Comment

Hi Cade,
                        I've talked to Micheal a couple of times about coming down to meet some of you guys for a get together.But as much as I'd like to come to Brissy, family (Hockey) and the occasional work seem to interfere with my lazy Saturdays.Don't be discouraged I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

Cheers
                        Pete
                        96 Dual Cab Rodeo B100% since Jan 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Captaincademan View Post
                          Look forward to it Matt.

Just a reminder to all in Brisvegas, FREE snags and onions at my joint and a chinwag about all things oily. We will put on a 200 litre batch, done by a newby hopefully, from start to finish, and it wont be complicated. We will abide by the KISS rule, as I believe that's where all the greatest innovations occur.

There will be latest and greatest in Methoxide mixers made from junk, that will hopefully spark a bit of conversation and fine tuning.... (over a few brews!!)

come along even if you dont live in Brissy and want a saturday drive. There are at least two blokes from abroad that I know are quite interested, one from Down near Aratula and the other from Nimbin. So its worth the trip.

Saturday 19th May at 9am till late arvo. bring your grog and maybe a small plate of nibblies. I'll put on bread, snags, onions and sauce as usual.

Just a friendly collection of smiley and oily fellas looking for a laugh and cheap fuel....

If you have an innovation or nifty recipe, bring it along!

PM me for contact details and address. I am on the north side near North Lakes.

See you there!

Hi Cade,
                          Just read your post, unfortunately Central Vic to Brisbane is just a little out of my way for a days brewing chat. Anyhow was wondering what brilliant ideas you guys came up with for methoxide mixing. We mix up about 80 L at a time in a plastic barrel with a big stick, then bucket it into the reactor. Just lookin for a simpler way. Look forward to any ideas. Cheers Brenden
                          2003 3.2 DiD Pajero Exceed
                          2003 2.8 td Triton Ute
                          2005 1.9 tdi pump deuce Golf

Comment

Hi Brenden,

For years i used to mix my methoxide with a drill stirrer in a big aluminium cooking pot, then bale into brewer with a steel paint tin. Decided if I was to make old bones, I should look at doing it a bit safer. Both Grey Hair and I have knocked up our own sealed mixers that work beautifully. The idea was based on a variation I saw of 250 downunder's, that used an old beer keg.

Mine is made from a beer keg which has just got 3 lengths of steel tubing screwed to the side of it for a stand. There is a 3/4 inch hole drilled in the bottom for an outlet which has a brass elbow in it and then a tap with a hose on it. a 'T' is installed which then has a clear pipe running up the side for a sight level. This has a tap on the top of it as well which I close when I pump out the brew.

the mixer is a threaded rod with a steel paddle on the bottom, which is fixed to an old air compressor pulley and clutch off the cruiser at the top. This is an ideal bearing mount as the front part of the compressor housing has bolt holes and a relatively sealed bearing for the pulley mount. Driving the pulley and stirrer is an old 1/2 hp washing machine motor.

A nitto style male air coupler is fitted with a small air tap to the top of the mixer, and the keg bung is modified to allow it to be easily removed and replaced and is held down against air pressure with a simple locking system made from reinforcing bar.

use of the mixer is quite simple. pump in the methanol using your sight level on the side to check volume. turn on motor and get the methanol moving. slowly add your caustic through the bung hole so it all dissolves. I run mine for 10 mins for a 200l batch (40L meth). fit bung and lock into place with reinforcing bar system. its now pretty air tight. attach compressed air line and slowly open tap. the mixed methoxide will be pumped under air pressure through the outlet at the bottom and into the hot oil in the brewer.

Grey Hair's is very similar in that it uses an old 50 litre hot water system upside down. slight modification to install a bung system using a 44 gal drum bung. motor is an old electric whipper snipper motor. goes like a cut cat. Dare I say it, Grey hair's is the better model. (only just).

I dont think the photos thing is fixed here yet, but will post a photo when i can.

They both work really well, and we dont get any fumes or splashes anywhere near us. A big step up for a couple of basic brewers like us.

Comment

Ah bugger , I didn't take any photos of the steel Methoxide ENFORCER !!!

Cades Dad found an old steel hot water tank. he fixed some legs to it and somehow stuck a paddle mixer into it with a whipper snipper electric motor. goes like Cade said , like a cut cat.
                              There are plenty of fixings on the outside that you can fit pipes or valves or maybe a sight tube. I must say it should do a great job at mixing the methoxide.

Sorry I didn't take any photos.

Michael
                              2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Tetragonula Hockingsi

Comment

Guys I think it's time to organise another meet for the Qld Biodiesel COBCOM

I am thinking about 6 weeks time that way everyone who celebrates Christmas in July should be done. Let either Cade or myself know if anyone has any deas but I'm hoping for some members from far and wide this time.
                                If we stick to making a batch of the golden fluid and have a look at some titration methods too.

If we have it at Bill's I'll just do the day trip but get there early. anyone else can ut their hand up or I'll do it here at my place. Brisbane outer north side.
                                PM me for details if you need contact numbers.

Kind Regards

Michael Jones
                                2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Tetragonula Hockingsi

Comment

Working...
                                X